Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

de branding a nokia n95 8gig

• 18-08-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

i have a nokia n95 8 gig the last few months and just wondering is it worth it to de brand it? im currently with meteor but the phone was with vodafone and i got it unlocked . If i debrand the phone what does it do? does it just remove all the vodafone stuff off the phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Yes de-branding removes all the vodaphone software \ icons from the phone. It will also unlock any nokia features that Vodaphone had blocked in your phone.

It's pretty easy to do and there are plenty of docs on the net about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

thanks for the reply , just wondering wat kinda program would i use to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

I have debranded the N95 8gb firmware to version 20 and wanted to lets people know a handy work around. I used the following guide to do the debranding

http://www.esato.com/archive/t.php/t-161247,1.html

in summary
    I changed the product code to euro 1 to allow to update from v15 to v20
    I then used NSU to start update, it used the new product code, I am using vista and had to run NSU in XP sp2 compatability, visual themes off and run as administrator.
    It gave an error and stalled with 15mins remaining on the display, the dreaded white screen of death on the phone

Work around:
    use the task manager to stop NSU but leave the phone USB connection in place
    restart the NSU as administrator again
    It will tell u to disconnect the phone or remove battery, leave it connected.
    NSU will complete the update.
    V20 is then installed.
    Happy days

I reason I debranded was to update the firmware and remove the vodafone logo, but please note it will void any warrently you have, but was worth do it for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Every phone has a product code. This is region specific to all phones of that type. For example vodafone n95s in ireland have one product code, o2 n70s in uk with another.

What you need to do is to google for a generic product code for your phone. A generic code is one that is from a sim free phone that you buy direct off nokia. These contain no branding and no features are restricted.

EURO1 or EURO2 are examples of generic firmware. Both contain english but the other languages installed varies iirc.

Then you need to use a program called Nemesis Service Suite to change your product code to the generic code.

After changing the product code you need to use Nokia Software Updater to upgrade/reinstall the firmware.

Note than n95 and n95 8gb have different product codes. There are more than 5 different models of n95 so take care to find the correct one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

OP This list may be of interest

N95-2 - 0549487 - EURO 1
    N95-2 - 0559499 - O2 IE
    N95-2 - 0560767 - Vf Live IE
    N95-2 - 0566085 - Meteor IE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

cant seem to find anywhere to download nss, the main website is down that people have downloaded it from . any ideas where else i can download it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Did you even bother to check the download page? :rolleyes:
    130 Incorrect file format 'zen_sessions'
    in:
    [select value from zen_sessions where sesskey = 'a54f0a9c9e1698ece9ea145aaa767993' and expiry > '1219084429']

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

check this link out, think it is what u are after and links look good.

http://nokia.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/firmware.htm

He has more information about debranding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Did you even bother to check the download page? :rolleyes:
    130 Incorrect file format 'zen_sessions'
    in:
    [select value from zen_sessions where sesskey = 'a54f0a9c9e1698ece9ea145aaa767993' and expiry > '1219084429']

yes and it works for me. The full address is

http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/NSSDownloadLanding.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement