Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buying up north

Options
  • 18-08-2008 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Buying my first car and thinking of buying up north.

I'm bringing a mechanic friend and getting a HPI check done.

Firstly, do I bring a money order, or do the bargaining first and go get my cash?

Secondly, whats the deal with getting NCT sorted down here? does MOT count for anything?

How do I go about paying my VRT?

What should I get if I buy the car privately? just the log book? is that all I need to have to prove I bought it?

Thanks,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There was a whole sticky here about buying in the UK including tips on what and what not to do. The same would generally apply to buying in NI. Not sure where the sticky has disappeared to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Cash is best. You may find that some people won't accept anything else as payment. You could put a deposit on the car and then go back up to collect with the cash. Saves you rambling around with a lot of cash on you. You will also be limited as to how much you can take out of a cash machine.

MOT doesn't count for anything as regards NCT. You need to get the car registered first and then bring the registration certificiate to your NCT centre to have it added to their system. After 24 hours, you can book the NCT. They take the date of first registration for NCT.

Bought a 03 Audi A2 for my wife a few months back. We only got one years NCT because it was originally due for NCT in 2007. The fact that the car was imported and wasn't in the country in 2007 didn't matter. Crazy system.

There are a few other threads around how to pay VRT, just do a search.

The seller has to take part of the log book and send it into the VRO up north to say the car is sold and has left NI. You should have the other part of the log book. Also good to get a written receipt from the resller. Just a few lines to say you bought the car and how much you paid.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not sure where the sticky has disappeared to.

It's in the charter! Plenty of other useful links in there too.

Here is the link to importing from the UK

Advertisement