Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 cult classics article on eurogamer

Options
  • 18-08-2008 4:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Eurogamer have added another update to their PS2 cult classics article. Makes a good read and I agree with all their choices that I have played other than Shadow Hearts which was **** and Gregory Horror show which I thought was impossible without a guide.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=213944&page=1

Nice seeing Odin Sphere, Dragon Quest VIII, Yakuza and Global Defence Force get a mention since I've been banging on about them all the time. The older articles are worth a gander as well.

Have Blood Will Tell and Steambot Chronicles unplayed, think I'll give Steambot Chronicles a bash when I've finally gotten through Odin sphere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Nice one for the list the ps2 is easily my most played console atm as classics I never heard off just keep appearing.

cant wait to try out odin sphere and haunting ground

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Steambot Chronicles isn't up to much. It's too unfocused and tries to do too many things most of them poorly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steambot Chronicles isn't up to much. It's too unfocused and tries to do too many things most of them poorly.

I'll give it a try anyway, it seems to have bags of charm which counts for something. I'm also a big fan of Irem although was disappointed with R-type Final. They are a company with very little money but still release unconventional and original games every now and again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will give this a read later. From the ones you listed, i really want to try Odin Sphere. Looks fantastic. Dragon Quest VIII was too old-school for me. I tried to like it, but the constant random battles drove me crazy. I had also cleared Suikoden V and one of the Star Ocean games in the weeks before it though, so i was probably all rpg'd out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Fantavision is the fecking win! Alot of people said it was awful crap but I liked that game, it was unique, reminded me of Klax. I wonder if they will put any of the Katamari games in this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Katamari was mentioned in part 2.
    Kiith wrote:
    Will give this a read later. From the ones you listed, i really want to try Odin Sphere. Looks fantastic. Dragon Quest VIII was too old-school for me. I tried to like it, but the constant random battles drove me crazy. I had also cleared Suikoden V and one of the Star Ocean games in the weeks before it though, so i was probably all rpg'd out.

You should have given it more of a chance, it's a far superior game to either of the games you mentioned. It is old school but thats part of the charm. Also it takes a while to get into but once you start unlocking the better abilities the battle system becomes excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Should have Zone of the Enders 2 on there, it's a very strong game, not much to it gameplay-wise but it's purely fun, piloting a big Japanese mecha destroying other big Japanese mecha :D

karlr42 wrote: »
    Should have Zone of the Enders 2 on there, it's a very strong game, not much to it gameplay-wise but it's purely fun, piloting a big Japanese mecha destroying other big Japanese mecha :D

Agree totally. Zoe 1 wasn't the best but Zoe 2 was awesome. Brilliant battle system, gorgeous to look at, excellent soundtrack, typical amazing Kojima boss battles and a translation so bad it was brilliant. I loved how each set piece constantly out did itself despite you saying to yourself 'It can't much better than that!'.

Yep, I remember the battle in the sky against a fleet and the large scale assault with the UNSF fondly! What was especially nice about the set-pieces was you can play them anytime you want in the vr mode

karlr42 wrote: »
    Yep, I remember the battle in the sky against a fleet and the large scale assault with the UNSF fondly! What was especially nice about the set-pieces was you can play them anytime you want in the vr mode

Yep that was wonderful :) I remember that well. First I was like 'that battle against the armoured train was brilliant! Then a few stages later you were flying between a fleet of capital ships landing on them and taking them out and think just how amazing that was only for it to be followed with a brilliant boss battle against Zakat. Then it topped itself again in the next scene with that large scale assault mission which was stunning before capping it all off with the gorgeous final boss battle. The game was an absolute blast to play.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Yep that was wonderful smile.gif I remember that well. First I was like 'that battle against the armoured train was brilliant! Then a few stages later you were flying between a fleet of capital ships landing on them and taking them out and think just how amazing that was only for it to be followed with a brilliant boss battle against Zakat. Then it topped itself again in the next scene with that large scale assault mission which was stunning before capping it all off with the gorgeous final boss battle. The game was an absolute blast to play.
    Used to play the VR missions obsessively, complete them with all types of Jehuty in the fastest time I could, it was like a classic retro shhot-em-up in many ways. Exellent fun, I'll dig it out tomorrow and enjoy myself :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some good games mentioned there alright - PS2 was really a great console for the experimental / offbeat games, and unfortunately such creativity seems to be a rare beast these days (although stuff like Braid shows theres still a lot of talent out there). Loads I've been meaning to pick up though - Odin Sphere, Disagea (been on my to play list for years - playing through Jeanne D'arc at the moment and the SRPG thing is finally appealing more to me) etc..

Great to see Sky Oddyssey getting a mention in there though. I rented that game a few times and it was fantastic. Shame no one ever seems to have heard about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

DQ8 was savage, tempted to give it another shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Do its the onlt one I can vouch for on the list cos I haven't played the others.
    Ive done it twice. Total playtime of around 160 hours.

Well this is a surprise, another article in as many days:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=217324&page=1

I haven't played any of the games mentioned bar2 of them, ZOE and Firefigther FD18.

Firefighter isn't all that great i was hoping to relive the brilliance of Firemen on the SNES.

ZOE 1 as i mentioned isn't so hot either but at least the sequel got a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

eaisly the worst of the 5 parts in terms of games though I cant beleave the mentioned airblade.It was the first ps2 game I ever owned and I had completly forgotten it existed.Curse gamestop and their fecking trade in policy taking away all my old games >.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Shadow of Rome was dirt :/ I bought that game and was really into it for about an hour chopping peoples heads off and such, and then they changed the game entirely to sneaking around and asking questions. WTF? I wanted blood.

Advertisement