Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime -> Movie

Options
  • 18-08-2008 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭

Seems to be much in vogue at the minute. As is mentioned in other threads here AKira, GitS and a few more are already set to be filmed.

Check out this link and decide for yourselves whether this is a good trend or not.

There are two shows on that list that must never, NEVER be made into a film and thats FLCL and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. What sort of person could ever think that FLCL could possibly be made live action? And, if it was, would even 1/10th of the people who watched it get any of the references (apart from the
    South Park one
    )

Things are going too far and Im almost hoping Akira and Dragonball do sh*te at the cinema so that this trend doesnt become something like the superhero movie trend that nearly ruined all my childhood memories of Spiderman.

... I still want to see Akira live action though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I think Akira could work, actually I think 99% of sci-fi animes would work..

One request, Japanese actors plx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Parasyte looks like it could be quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If they make anything as cool as Casshern, I'm interested.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If they make anything as cool as Casshern, I'm interested.

Casshern is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,005 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

KingLoser wrote: »
    One request, Japanese actors plx.

Anime to live action wouldn't annoy me half as much if it were a Japanese production. Or even a Western production with a Japanese cast.

Western actors have to mean name changes. I really can't imagine Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Leonardi di Caprio shouting 'KANEDA!!!!' and 'TETSUO!!!' at each other.

Then that leads on to changing the setting. If you do that then you'll have to change the plot to a degree.

When you get to that stage, really, wtf is the point?

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anime to live action wouldn't annoy me half as much if it were a Japanese production. Or even a Western production with a Japanese cast.

Western actors have to mean name changes. I really can't imagine Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Leonardi di Caprio shouting 'KANEDA!!!!' and 'TETSUO!!!' at each other.

Then that leads on to changing the setting. If you do that then you'll have to change the plot to a degree.

When you get to that stage, really, wtf is the point?

Completely agree, I read a long time ago about an Eva live action with Western actors, and they were planning on changing the names!

Blocked internet in work, so I'm useless for finding a citation on that.

Completely agree, I read a long time ago about an Eva live action with Western actors, and they were planning on changing the names!

Blocked internet in work, so I'm useless for finding a citation on that.

Not confirmed yet, disaster could still be averted

http://neon-genesis-evangelion.moviechronicles.com/2007-09/eva-live-action-director-and-financing-in-place/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I don't think there are any Japanese actors that can compare to DiCaprio and Levitt tbh. Not to mention are there many that can speak fluent comprehensible English?

Mots of the Japanese live action anime adaptations ive seen are fairly low budget for one and the acting is usually cheesy and over the top like those god awful Death Note films.

Personally I wouldn't see the point in making an Akira film if it had a Japanese cast, why bother? The whole point of making this film for theatrical release is that they want to reach a very broad audience, and English speaking actors are the best way to go. If they went and made it with a Japanese cast who would presumably speak Japanese, it just wouldn't appeal to the masses.

robby^5 wrote: »
    I don't think there are any Japanese actors that can compare to DiCaprio and Levitt tbh. Not to mention are there many that can speak fluent comprehensible English?

Mots of the Japanese live action anime adaptations ive seen are fairly low budget for one and the acting is usually cheesy and over the top like those god awful Death Note films.

Personally I wouldn't see the point in making an Akira film if it had a Japanese cast, why bother? The whole point of making this film for theatrical release is that they want to reach a very broad audience, and English speaking actors are the best way to go. If they went and made it with a Japanese cast who would presumably speak Japanese, it just wouldn't appeal to the masses.

The original Akira was in Japanese and appealed to the masses before the dub was released.

It's only people who are too lazy to read subtitles, which boggles the mind why they bother with Sci-Fi in the first place... but shur, each to their own.

The original Akira was in Japanese and appealed to the masses before the dub was released.

It's only people who are too lazy to read subtitles, which boggles the mind why they bother with Sci-Fi in the first place... but shur, each to their own.

yeah I hate those subtitle stickers that you see in xtra vision. Almost like a warning...paaaaah

• Advertisement
Advertisement