Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nice little quick, cheap car

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Looks great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks like a trade value. Someone will be very happy with that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cracking little car there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd love one, but for what it is, it's overpriced IMO. Who's gonna want a 10 year old 2l supermini, which is what it would be by the time I'd be done with it.

Great car, and it will sell, but seriously, you'd want your head examined to pay that much for it. (And yes I do know it was probably £22k or whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'd love one, but for what it is, it's overpriced IMO. Who's gonna want a 10 year old 2l supermini, which is what it would be by the time I'd be done with it.

Well a 10 year old 1 litre supermini is really only worth €1000 anyway so what difference does it make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Wouldn't touch it. Looks like a nice car, but it's 8 years old and is 2 litres! Furthermore it's an obsolete model.

Also "The price quoted is the figure I have been offered as a trade in on my new car" makes me wonder. Why wouldn't the seller save themselves the hassle of a private sale and simply trade it in for that price? Answer: because they've been offered less in trade. Mileage seems incredibly low too

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch it. Looks like a nice car, but it's 8 years old and is 2 litres! Furthermore it's an obsolete model.

How many 8 year old car of any make or model is still current? (moreso one that came out 10 years ago)

and is 2 litres!

Thats the point.

Very few. But it's relevant when it comes to value. The other cons i mentioned are probably more important to a potential buyer though

Very few. But it's relevant when it comes to value

How much will an 01 Golf GTI set you back? (th clio is much quicker btw)

Very few. But it's relevant when it comes to value. The other cons i mentioned are probably more important to a potential buyer though

Your other con was that its a 2 litre. Whats the point of a hot hatch that isnt hot?

• Advertisement

i prefaced all this by saying i wouldn't touch it, for various reasons but not just the price. Nothing wrong with hot hatches, but i would imagine the market for an old 2 litre Clio is limited.

Sounds to me like you should buy it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Also "The price quoted is the figure I have been offered as a trade in on my new car" makes me wonder. Why wouldn't the seller save themselves the hassle of a private sale and simply trade it in for that price?
    Because they'll get a cash discount on their new car if they don't have a trade-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 a2dg

"How much will an 01 Golf GTI set you back? (th clio is much quicker btw)"

Sold my gti turbo 00 last nov for 9250, clio might be quicker standard but the possibilites of the golf are much greater than the 2ltr staight clio.... not to mention the the appearence, for all the non petrol head out there ur in a 17year old girls car:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No one is gonna buy this thinking about resale value. Drive it good and hard for three years and the Clio will owe you nothing :)

a2dg wrote: »
    "How much will an 01 Golf GTI set you back? (th clio is much quicker btw)"

Sold my gti turbo 00 last nov for 9250, clio might be quicker standard but the possibilites of the golf are much greater than the 2ltr staight clio.... not to mention the the appearence, for all the non petrol head out there ur in a 17year old girls car:D
    You're right, chipping a Mk4 Golf is easy. Makes about as much sense as fitting nitrous to a golf buggy, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

That reminds me, I spotted a Clio V6 Renault Sport, the mid engined one, in Limerick last week, stunning car. It's on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Who's gonna want a 10 year old 2l supermini, which is what it would be by the time I'd be done with it.

Well it is only €5,000. Its rarity value alone will mean you will always find someone willing to part with €1k for it so long as it is clean. That is 4 thousand Euro it will depreciate. It is a 2001 and will be 10 years old in 2011. Assuming it is now 2009, you would only keep the car 2 years. It will loose 2k p.a.

Not many cars depreciate by less than 2k p.a.

maidhc wrote: »
    Well it is only €5,000. Its rarity value alone will mean you will always find someone willing to part with €1k for it so long as it is clean. That is 4 thousand Euro it will depreciate. It is a 2001 and will be 10 years old in 2011. Assuming it is now 2009, you would only keep the car 2 years. It will loose 2k p.a.

But trying to find someone who wants it at €1k, even if it is worth that is still going to be an issue.

But trying to find someone who wants it at €1k, even if it is worth that is still going to be an issue.
    Jesus, ninety9er, don't be such a tightwad! You could burn it after three years and it'd still have cost you less than a fiver a day. And there was me thinking you were a car enthusiast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

future classic. There supposed to be seriously fun to drive.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Jesus, ninety9er, don't be such a tightwad! You could burn it after three years and it'd still have cost you less than a fiver a day. And there was me thinking you were a car enthusiast...

I don't have the type of money that allows me to go dumping 6k on a 2l French hot hatch. If it was 2k it would be a different matter.

I don't have the type of money that allows me to go dumping 6k on a 2l French hot hatch. If it was 2k it would be a different matter.
    I don't want you to buy it, I just want you to get excited about it. Sure I can't afford it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

brilliant value!

lucky person who gets that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

maidhc wrote: »

Yeh it's an enthuasiasts car....the type of person who is going to buy it knows what to expect. I hate Renaults but would consider buying it (in different circumstances) as it's meant to be a fast & fun hot hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

I like them

there was a clio williams on adverts there for nice money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

A few well looked after 106 GTis around and IMO you wont find a better small fast hatch for the money that can do what one of theese can do.
    Unfortunatly mine's not for sale:p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These cars are about appreciation not depreciation.

But hey why stop at the Clio 172, go the whole way to a piece of motoring history for a few grand more:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=839647&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Renault%20Alpine%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=5688228&CFTOKEN=33304173

bazz26 wrote: »
    These cars are about appreciation not depreciation.

But hey why stop at the Clio 172, go the whole way to a piece of motoring history for a few grand more:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=839647&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Renault%20Alpine%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=5688228&CFTOKEN=33304173

I've had my eye on that one for ages. Just waiting for a few grand of disposable income to drop into my lap is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote: »
    I've had my eye on that one for ages. Just waiting for a few grand of disposable income to drop into my lap is all.

Not too many of them about the place now either.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not too many of them about the place now either.

There was a couple of nice ones at the Terenure show last year. I was just a lotto win away from leavign there with a transporter full of Capris and Alpines.:)

Advertisement