Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Science?

• 18-08-2008 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Has anyone done this in IT Tallaght?? and also,whats the social scene like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'm doing it at the moment. Going into 3rd year. What are you looking to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ENN0

well first thing ism how hard is the maths? I think I can handle it but people keep telling me...its too hard blah blah blah, Im gonna give it my best and I have a general love for computing. also what is the difference between these two courses?

Bachelor Degree in Science - Computing and Higher Certificate in Science - Computing – Information Systems I have chosen the higher certificate in science computing and information systems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

ENN0 wrote: »
    well first thing ism how hard is the maths? I think I can handle it but people keep telling me...its too hard blah blah blah, Im gonna give it my best and I have a general love for computing. also what is the difference between these two courses?

Bachelor Degree in Science - Computing and Higher Certificate in Science - Computing – Information Systems I have chosen the higher certificate in science computing and information systems!

They are both the same course when it comes down to it. It just means you get a cert after 2 years and can continue on into 3rd year and further to 4th if you wish in ths IS stream.

There is only a little bit of maths in the course and it is very, very easy. A person who is very weak at maths should have no bother (like myself) if they just put a bit of effort into the early weeks of the course to grab the basics of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Ive just finished my four years on the old school course.

The one you will be doing is slightly different to mine, you get a choice of weather you want to do programming or management in the new course, I was on the old school course where you have to do both.

The maths is grand and alot of it clicks into place later in the course.

As long as you have an interest you'll be fine.

When you get the choice of which way you want to go(programming or management) I would go with programming!

There is alot more demand for it which means more money. Alot of people in design/management wish they did programming as the jumps in pay are huge.

As for your prospects after you complete the course, I was snapped up and had a job lined up before I sat my final exam, IT Tallaght grads are developing a reputation for being well practiced and very knowledgeable when it comes to the skills that employers want. Alot of employers are starting to realize that Tallaght grads are on par with and in alot of cases better then grads of more prestigious third level institutions.

One thing I would advise though is putting the work in on your final year, a good class of degree gives you an excellent start & makes it easy for you to get your foot in the door of many companies.

if you've any other questions feel free to ask.

oh yeah, and you'll love IMD (games development)- a very fun and interesting part of the course in 4th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ENN0

Thanks hobochris....my main interest is do go on to do something in games design, what are you doing now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

One of the fourth years last year did a game for his final year project on the 360 and PC.

hobochris wrote: »
    When you get the choice of which way you want to go(programming or management) I would go with programming!

There is alot more demand for it which means more money. Alot of people in design/management wish they did programming as the jumps in pay are huge.

Meh. If you do some post grad studies in areas that interest you, with the management degree you can be paid better than a programmer.

ENN0 wrote: »
    Thanks hobochris....my main interest is do go on to do something in games design, what are you doing now?
    You'll have to go abroad to get into a lot of games development companies. Theres one in Dublin, that write a physics engine, cant remember the name though. When you start your course, if you have Stephen Howel as a lecturer, ask him. He's the one who teaches games design + development A.K.A IMD.

Edit: Just checked there 'Havok' is the name of the Engine/company.

I'm Currently working in a software house in Ballymount, developing apps for the construction industry in Europe using .Net.

One of the fourth years last year did a game for his final year project on the 360 and PC.
    That was Paul, He's a very good programmer. His game was a flight sim /shooter, wasn't a bad one at that. he even wrote the music himself(he's also a musician).

Teferi wrote: »
    Meh. If you do some post grad studies in areas that interest you, with the management degree you can be paid better than a programmer.
    If you say so, but in Industry you'll find that the majority of well paid jobs are filled by coders/ex coders.Personally I think the management course is just the easy way out, don't get my wrong its a good path if you want to be a consultant etc... but besides that I'm not sure where It goes. Luckily my Degree covers both programming + management, so I am coverd from all angles. :D

most of the time ex coders are picked for It management roles as they know what the issues of coding are, which means they are more able to manage programmers and give better estimates then their non coding counterparts.

If you say so

Condescending much? :rolleyes:

Have a look around, you will realise I am right.

Teferi wrote: »
    Condescending much? :rolleyes:

Have a look around, you will realise I am right.

I wasn't being condescending, I merely offered my opinion and my experience having gone through the system & having looked for and found employment after, during which time I was interviewed for and offered jobs in both programming and management/Design. So what I Say is based on me already having looked around and I'm sorry to disappoint you but the industry is not as you think. The high payed management jobs such as CIS are few and far between, the very few that are available seem to be taken by people with a programming background.

When you've gone through the system and get a job in the industry then come speak to me and we will compare pay slips.

ENNO: Best of luck in the Course. Once you find the right group of friends in your class you'll love it..

• Advertisement

I wasn't being condescending

Look at the line I quoted again and have a rethink there.
    I merely offered my opinion and my experience having gone through the system & having looked for and found employment after, during which time I was interviewed for and offered jobs in both programming and management/Design. So what I Say is based on me already having looked around and I'm sorry to disappoint you but the industry is not as you think. The high payed management jobs such as CIS are few and far between, the very few that are available seem to be taken by people with a programming background.

....After seeing what you wrote here I am not sure you have had a proper look at what is in the IT Management course.
    When you've gone through the system and get a job in the industry then come speak to me and we will compare pay slips.

If only there was a way to take this offer, I would do so in an instance.

Advertisement