Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting questions

Options
  • 18-08-2008 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Will be getting back on the bike for the first time in 10 years as I have started a new job in city centre. Travelling in from Ashbourne area so it will be about the 23 kilometer mark according to aaroutefinder. Guesstimates on time to cycle in and out once I get most of cycling fitness back?

I read the cycling FAQ and the commuting bit, got some good advice there. Any advise/give reccomendations on the following would be great.

Bike: Havent looked at them in over 10 years so what kind of bike, road? racer? mountain? not too bothered about budget (within reason) as i know Id only be spending it on petrol anyway so it should pay for itself quick enough.

cyclewear: Helmet + bulbs sure. what about latest cycling wear clothes, or Hi Vis jackets are they a necessity?

Equipment: Im going to have to wear a suit every day so will need a way of getting the clothes in an unwrinkled state as possible. Suggestions?

thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

thumpybum wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Will be getting back on the bike for the first time in 10 years as I have started a new job in city centre. Travelling in from Ashbourne area

Sounds risky :rolleyes:

That's a dangerous road for cyclists, especially in weather like this.

Would you consider public transport to the city centre, with a foldaway bike (like a Brompton) if the nearest bus stop is too far away to walk. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

Sounds risky

Would you consider public transport to the city centre, with a foldaway bike (like a Brompton) if the nearest bus stop is too far away to walk. ?

Was thinking that, I thought I should have asked was anyone doing this already as that old ashbourne road wouldnt exactly be cyclist friendly. Might be fine on a sunday afternoon (And well used by cyclists) but midweek up to 7pm and the dark sets in wouldnt be the safest.

I have a relation in finglas that I could drive down to, could cycle from there I suppose. That should bring the cycle commute down to 7-8 km I think on much better roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

If your going to worry about traffic patricuarly on a main road with a good hard shoulder you perhaps sould reconsider the idea of commuting by bike. 23 K would be just perfect. get a half decent lightweight and panniers and before you know it you'll be planning long distance tours. Leaving the tin of fruit in work is the simple solution. Cycling gear, wear the minimum. Winter great selection of reasonably priced lights and high vis belts available. Good luck

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Guesstimates on time to cycle in and out once I get most of cycling fitness back?

It depends on how fit you are to start with, but you should get up to the hour mark fairly quick.
    Bike: Havent looked at them in over 10 years so what kind of bike, road? racer? mountain? not too bothered about budget (within reason) as i know Id only be spending it on petrol anyway so it should pay for itself quick enough.

A racer will get you in quickest. If you don't like drop handlebars, buy a hybrid, which is essentially a road bike with flat bars. Don't buy a mountain bike.
    cyclewear: Helmet + bulbs sure. what about latest cycling wear clothes, or Hi Vis jackets are they a necessity?

Proper shorts are a must of you don't want a sore ass. A jersey is worth the investment in my view given the fact that sweat evaporates fairly fast from it and doesn't flap around in the breeze. Most people go for a light rainjacket that you can shove in your pocket.
    Equipment: Im going to have to wear a suit every day so will need a way of getting the clothes in an unwrinkled state as possible. Suggestions?

I leave shoes and a couple of suits in the office. I stick some shirts in a bag once a week on hangers and they don't get too creased. You could also leave shirts in the office and get them washed and ironed at the cleaners.
    TarfHead wrote: »
    Sounds risky :rolleyes:

Can you not get the dual carriageway most of the way to Ashbourne? Or is it motorway now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I live in Ratoath and work in Finglas. I did my 1st commute about a month ago. I went in on the old N2 and thought it was fine, mind you I'm not sure what it would be like when the dark nights set in. There's a hard shoulder most of the way in. I don't kow if you know this but at the end of the old N2 down by the garden centre there's a bicycle lane that brings you out on to the lights at the M50 so you don't have to go on to the new road at all. I think that's a bit risky but I have seen people do it. From Ratoath to Finglas it's 20km, so it would be around 25km from Ashbourne to Town. It's a nice flat road so it's not a difficult cycle.

Best of luck with it anyway and I hope I've been some help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

I think that's a bit risky but I have seen people do it. From Ratoath to Finglas it's 20km, so it would be around 25km from Ashbourne to Town. It's a nice flat road so it's not a difficult cycle.

Thanks for that, I didnt think bicycles could go on that motorway though (maybe wrong on that). how long is 20km from ratoath to finglas taking? Id be fit enough from some other activities, I know it'll take me a few weeks to get back into cycling fitness so Im hoping to do it in under an hour.
    I leave shoes and a couple of suits in the office. I stick some shirts in a bag once a week on hangers and they don't get too creased. You could also leave shirts in the office and get them washed and ironed at the cleaners.
    Good idea on the cleaners, will remember that one, Im at a disadvantage in that I'll be on different sites each week (could be in any one of 5-6 offices in the city) I know each of the offices have shower facilities though. Ive been googling for some sort of suit holder for when cycling, without much success. If I find something I'll post back.

I'll definitely investigate a jersey and shorts. Getting some great info on http://www.whycycle.com/ which I found on the boards cycling FAQ. thanks guys, big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I only did the commute once (I have to sort that out) but it took me 50mins on the way in and 45 on the way home. I'm not cycling long so I will get quicker over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Ive been googling for some sort of suit holder for when cycling, without much success. If I find something I'll post back
    Google "pannier garment" and you'll find more - they're not overly common but they certainly exist. Here's a couple:

pannier_ed-copy.jpg
    http://www.twowheelgear.com/features.php

2Wheel_CommuteBag-2.jpg
    http://www.bikemania.biz/The_Bicycle_Commuter_Pannier_p/2wheel_commutebag.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Thanks for that, I didnt think bicycles could go on that motorway though (maybe wrong on that).

You are correct, bicycles are not allowed on motorways, but I don't think your stretch is a motorway.

Advertisement