Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something for the Aul Fellah (Advice Please :) )

Options
  • 18-08-2008 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all...

Just wondering if I could get some advice off you.

My father just rang me, saying he saw an airsoft gun in the overpriced gadget shop in town - He saw a pistol priced at €190, which from looking at the Irish sites, is waaaaaaay too much for a pretty cheap pistol. There was some rifles there too, which were cheaper than the pistol, but he didn't pay too much attention.

He's a pretty good shot with real pistols, rifles and whatnot, and is probably suffering from a bit of a mid-life crisis, and looking for something he can play with :p

Budget wise... considering he was going to get a pistol for 190, I'd be hoping for a fair bit less than that.

So any advice - It wouldn't be for heading out on anything as serious as the skirmishes the regulars here head out on, moreso for him to shoot a few targets out the back or whatever :)

Accuracy would be a bonus, I've suggested an AEG. I've used an M4, MP5 and a few pistols before myself, and lurked this forum a bit in the past, before realising I had to spend my money on camera gear rather than airsoft guns :)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

If he's into the real thing, there's a chance he may not get the same kind of fun out of an AEG as he would a gas blow back pistol.

I'd go with the pistol, personally....they're loads of fun, and if you get one of the major brand metal or ABS/metal models, they're very close to the real thing in looks and "heft".

The only big drawback with them is their power drops significantly in cold weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

or a sniper rifle, since he wouldnt be skirmishing and would probably prefer to just shoot targets., the JG bar10, L96 etc are the top snipers on a budget, but the TM VSR is the best at about 280quid.,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

A pistol with blow back could be his thing alright.

I'll show him the sniper rifles too, and see what he thinks.

Tbh, as long as he dosn't spend 190 quid on something that's online for 50 quid, I'm happy! Something that I can rob for myself and have a bit of fun with, all the better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fajitas! wrote: »
    A pistol with blow back could be his thing alright.

I'll show him the sniper rifles too, and see what he thinks.

Tbh, as long as he dosn't spend 190 quid on something that's online for 50 quid, I'm happy! Something that I can rob for myself and have a bit of fun with, all the better :D

They can be a little tempermental but a Mac11 could be fun. But that has no accuracy.

If you want an accurate GBB get something like a KJ Works P226, USP or M9.

• Advertisement

If your interested in a MAC11 go with the HFC one instead of the KWA, its years better and doesnt change its mind about BBs feeding every 10seconds, also holds a lot more gas., :)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

is it really that much better?
    i always found KSC bbs feed flawlessly, and the mag is probabaly one of the best iv used in relation to gas consumption.
    the mags are interchangeble though right?
    the HFC does come with supressor and stap as standard though.

yeah their interchangable but the HFC one is much better on the gas, doesnt suffer the cooldown like the KWA one, the other thing is the KWA has to be used on KSC bbs whereas the HFC will use any BBs at all.,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

If he wants something a bit closer to the real thing, the KJ Sig P226 is full metal, frame and slide. Shoots very well but the sheer weight of it lends an awful lot to the experience of actually using it. There are more accurate firing guns than it, but there's little out there to touch it for realistic feel.

Similarly, the TM Desert Eagle is a bit OTT and obnoxious but it's a lot of fun and kicks like a mule (ie, just like a Porsche 911 Turbo some would buy during their mid-life crisis, just a hell of a lot cheaper).

If it's something basic that performs well without any of the fancy features you're after, then the KWA Glock 17/19 is your best choice. Or any of the KWA Glock range for that matter. They work amazingly well, and are even better value when you see they're one of the cheapest gbb pistols you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, it looks like he's pretty settled on a pistol - I think he liked the look of the KJ Sig P226 alright.

We'll see. A bit more convincing to do tonight! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭RC car fanatic

Derek at MIA has a c02 beretta and thats full metal,blowback and the cold weather wouldnt effect it and yes its under the limit for a c02 pistol.

vtec wrote: »
    yeah their interchangable but the HFC one is much better on the gas, doesnt suffer the cooldown like the KWA one, the other thing is the KWA has to be used on KSC bbs whereas the HFC will use any BBs at all.,

ill have to get a mag or two to try so.
    is there any actual differences between the guns themselves?

OP: i can definitelty reccoment any KJW gun, bar their M9 Beretta as i havnt had any first hand experiences with them.
    their 1911 and glocks are much more solid that KSC which are meant to be a superiour brand but i havnt had that experience, tollerences are a lot looser and the materials arent as solid feeling with the KSC.
    their glock 23 being probably the best mid-frame pistol i have shot, its only drawbacks being shorter barrel, somewhat lower fps and lack of trigger safety(now available at kwausa, iirc), top gun all the same

kjw sig 226 is one of the best, most realistic guns out there.

with regards co2 guns, its goin to cos yo basically €1 every 2 mags or so, they are fun and have a good kick but practicaly speaking propane is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

You don't get any real advantage with CO2 here bar skirmish use in cold weather. If the pistol is just for target shooting at home, green/propane is considerably more practical and a fair bit cheaper to run.
    The KJW Sig is a gorgeous piece and is probably better suited to target shooting than skirmishing due to the sheer weight. It's pretty bloody close to real weight, you could probably punt it 40 yards and fire it when it landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

I have the KJW P226, and it is great. Lots of sound and movement in all the right ways, and I have a thread elsewhere about some things you can do with it to get a little more mileage, so if you go for it, do ask (admittedly the advice probably counts for any GBB pistol). Personally, I'll find excuses in a game to use the pistol instead of the rifle, for that little bit of realism in the game.

yeah i saw that over on airsoft retreat or barracks, i did both things to my KJW 1911 which has a double stack 25rnd mag but is the same size as a single stack mag, so it didnt have the same gas capacity.
    it would never empty a full mag always 5-10 bbs left in it, but after the shim, o-ring mod and a bit of teflon tape on the valve threads shes emptying a full mag even with fairly rapid fire.
    and made a noticible difference to the blow back.
    also did thhe same to a scorpion mag that was some what inefficient and it worked a charm, also increased that mags output by 10fps.

Advertisement