Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is involved in getting a licence for a shotgun ?

Options
  • 18-08-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

my father had a stroke recently and his shotguns were left into the police station

i would like to get a licence for the guns so i can keep them

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭midlouth

lucozader wrote: »
    my father had a stroke recently and his shotguns were left into the police station

i would like to get a licence for the guns so i can keep them

thank you

You should give you local firearms officer a ring and chat to him about it.

I recently applied for my first licence, what I was told was I needed either to be a member of a gun club or to have permission to hunt from two farmers who have a farmer bigger than 50 acres. I filled in a form at the Garda Station, got a call off the fire officer who want to know if I had a safe to store them, which I didn't and would get once I got confirmation of the licence, which he accepted as being practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I hope your dad is ok. Midlouth is correct in what he is saying. Most places vary about the amount of permission letters from farmers. The one piece of advice I'll give you is to keep a diary of meeting/phonecalls to the gardai, and photocopy every letter of permission that you give them.

I'd keep an eye on the guns regularly to check for rust and I'd photo them to record any marks or scratches on them, so as to avoid an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Ask the local FO if you can take the guns out of the station and bring them to a local firearms dealer for storage. Quite often the storage conditions in a gun room a bit more benign than a Garda station without the proper storage facilities except a secure lockup. The going rate in my area for storage would be 50 Euro a year per gun to give you an idea.

Advertisement