Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GPS Installation

Options
  • 18-08-2008 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

Have Garmin Nuvi that was in my old car. Got a new car and wondering is it possible to get it installed in my car without using the cigarette lighter charger and wire directly behind the dash into the cars fuseboard like my carkit?

If possible, who can do it?

Thanks
    C

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

It's possible all right.
    Maybe ask the guy who fitted the car kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Easily done.

The person that installed your phone kit. Or a car accessories shop that fit car steros and phone kits. (A good one not halfrauds)

I reluctant to recommend you do this yourself if your asking this question, as car fires are bad and in the 80s and 90s car sterios were the most common cause of car fires:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭auto electrical

as earlier said this is quite easily done what sort of car is it ??? and ill give you some direction J.(Auto Electrical Concepts)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

as earlier said this is quite easily done what sort of car is it ??? and ill give you some direction J.(Auto Electrical Concepts)

Golf GTi MK4. Already a Parrot carkit installed aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭auto electrical

well the parrot kit makes it even easier as you can see where the installer got his ignition power . pop out your radio and look at the loom going into the back of it on the origional loom you will see a yellow wire with a red trace on it this is your ignition wire and a heavy brown wire in the same plug this is your earthwhen the parrot kit was put in hr would have been going on to these wires so follow the loom and just make the orange wire from the parrot kitwill be in line with the yellow red and the black from the parrot will be on the same line as the brown . just splice a bit of two core cable into this line adding a fuse naturally a 7.5 should be loads and run it up towards where you would like your garmin probably drivers side right next to the a pillar if you take off the side cover of the dash you will find a space to put all your wiring in nice and tidy .then get a cigarette lighter socket from your local parts place and plug in you nuvi DO NOT chop the end off the garmin lead as there is a circuit board in there that reduces the voltage to the unit if you do chop it off you will fry your sat nav
    hope this is of help if you are having difficulty jus give me a shout best of luck J.(Auto Electrical Concepts);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Golf GTi MK4. Already a Parrot carkit installed aswell

In my old mk4 I simply took off the plastic from around the bottom of the steering wheel (where your knees go) and put the lead in behind these. I popped the cig lighter end out at the ashtray so you could see that bit and fed the GPS end up at the drivers side door pillar. At the fuse box I simply pushed the cable in between the panel and the door frame. All you could see of the lead was the ends and it looked pretty neat, saves you chopping wires too. You need some torx bits to take the panels off however.

Advertisement