Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Permissions problem............ A desperate man

• 18-08-2008 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭

I've never experienced permission errors before, can someone help me....

I'm trying to install office 2003 on my system and I get the following message
    "Error 1913. Setup cannot update file"
    "C:\Windows\System32\mapisvc.inf. Verify that the file exists in your system and that you have sufficient permissions to update it"

When I open the folder C:\Windows\System32\ I can see the file mapisvc.inf. I've tried the following
    Copying and replacing the existing file
    Changing the permissions on the current file

When I try change the permissions I get this message
    "Unable to save permission changes on mapisvc"
    "Access is denied"

A few things to note:
    This is my own laptop (Dell XPS M1730)
    I am the system admin and the only user on this laptop (with exception of guest)
    I am running windowns vista ultimate 32bit - this is a fresh install that I have put in myself
    The specs on the laptop are high end and all drivers are installed correctly
    I am using a SDD HD (don't know if that makes a difference)
    No software is pirated. I also have office vista and that won't install either
    I've tried giving myself permissions over the whole C:\ drive and it granted me access apart from a few folders, C:\windows is one of these

Suggestions, help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Do you have UAC enabled? One of the things that's been irritating me with Vista is that if you have it enabled you'll get prompted whenever elevated permissions are required (even if you're using an administrator account) but to run software installers that weren't written explicitly for Vista, you need to right-click on them, select Run As Administrator > Open so that you then get the UAC prompt, accept it, and run through the installer.

You should also check your effective permissions on the file to make sure that you do actually have rights over the file. But I reckon it's an account elevation problem you're having.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Fysh wrote: »
    Do you have UAC enabled? One of the things that's been irritating me with Vista is that if you have it enabled you'll get prompted whenever elevated permissions are required (even if you're using an administrator account) but to run software installers that weren't written explicitly for Vista, you need to right-click on them, select Run As Administrator > Open so that you then get the UAC prompt, accept it, and run through the installer.

You should also check your effective permissions on the file to make sure that you do actually have rights over the file. But I reckon it's an account elevation problem you're having.

I have UAC turned off........

I don't have full access to the file as admin, only to read & execute and read. When I try and change the permissions I get the error above.....

When I run as admin I get the same error as above.......

What's funny is that I've used this windows version on a HP laptop and installed office 2003 without a bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Goto Command Prompt and Run As Administrator.

Then type in: takeown /f filepath
    in this case it'll be: takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\mapisvc.inf

Should get a completion message... Now one last step
    type: icacls C:\Windows\System32\mapisvc.inf /grant yourusername:f

Another completion message. You should be able to modify it now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

stevire wrote: »
    Goto Command Prompt and Run As Administrator.

Then type in: takeown /f filepath
    in this case it'll be: takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\mapisvc.inf

Should get a completion message... Now one last step
    type: icacls C:\Windows\System32\mapisvc.inf /grant yourusername:f

Another completion message. You should be able to modify it now....

This worked - thanks very much........

Any ideas why I didn't have permissions to my own laptop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Just a Vista thing, its trying to lock down on any modifications of system files to any users.

For security reasons mainly, but im sure there's been a few cases where a user changed his system files and blames microsoft and gets it fixed under warranty when it was his own fault... I can see Microsoft going for a "Warranty Void if modded" sort of policy in the distant future!

Advertisement