Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New NUIG Sports Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rolypoly

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    Well if ye think thats bad, God help anyone here that was involved in any of the Sports clubs or did any of the pay as you go classes. I was the instructor for the Kung Fu/Thaiboxing club and I've been told that the clubs will be trying to get times from Kingfisher to run their respective classes which will be interesting to say the least. Anyone who signs up for the clubs then has no choice but to pay the membership fee in order to GET IN to the new gym EVEN if you only want to do those specific classes and not use the facilities!!!

Its worse if you did Body Pump, Combat or Attack pay as you go classes. They are no longer pay as you go, Kingfisher ONLY do Body Pump, I've been told the NUIG instructors won't work for Kingfisher, so that means no Combat or Attack. Don't think Joanne Doyle from Crunch will work for KF, so that also means no Spinning, Abs Blast or Aerobics which was VERY popular in the old hall. So that means far less available classes:(. Same will apply for Rachetball and Squash to the best of my knowledge.

Went for a tour around NUIG yesterday and was told that Body Pump,spinning and aerobics etc will be available. Am a member in kingfisher renmore and the timetable there is pretty good.Dont know why you think there will be less classes available !!!! and why wont crunch staff work for Kingfisher ??????? the staff in renmore are always friendly and helpful so would suggest they happy in job :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

There will probably be more classes than cruch hadr as theres more room. One of the guys up there said that if they find there is a huge demand for a particular class they will hire more staff.

Also when i signed up yesterday i recognised a few members of staff from crunch working up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Went for a tour around NUIG yesterday and was told that Body Pump,spinning and aerobics etc will be available.

If you read my post properly you would see I was referring to the Les Mills classes ie Body Attack and Body Combat, I NEVER said KF didn't do Body Pump. Secondly any worthwhile gym would obviously have Spinning classes, I was saying that Joanne Doyle's Spinning class wouldn't be available and that was one of the most popular classes in Crunch.
    why wont crunch staff work for Kingfisher ???????

Again, try reading the post AGAIN. I wasn't referring to Crunch staff, what I did say was that the NUIG instructors wouldn't work for KF!!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    but they were kinda taking the piss as the few times i went it was packed.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rolypoly

Well sorry about that..........but i would have assumed that NUIG instructors were the same as Crunch instructors . Did not realise that there was two sets of instructors there ?????
    Anyway.......guess we will have to wait and see exactly what is on offer when the place opens properly........think it was early sept ???? is that right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Didn't read all the replies but just to correct a couple of things.

If you are a student of NUIG it's 250 for the year
    If you are staff it's either 300 or 350 I forget which
    If you are alumni not presently at the uni you get it for 500
    If you are any other outsider it's 700

You cannot pay in installments for your membership fee but you can pay for one of usages of gym or swim. It's 8 euro for each or 12 euro combined. Not sure if this is for everyone or students or what.

AFAIK all of these are correct.

As for other students getting low prices - feck off and build your own gym.
    As for it being expensive for outsiders I think it's deliberate as it was mainly envisioned for NUIG usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Well I think the Alumni rate, in light of the levy that many thousands of former students paid/were made to pay is a disgrace.

We were duped into paying that levy, they have set the level of outsider membership suitably high to keep out outsiders; it seems they have done much the same with the pricing of their alumni memberships.

And it doesn't surprise me one bit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

kevmy wrote: »
    As for other students getting low prices - feck off and build your own gym.

Ha! Nicely put:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

Well I think the Alumni rate, in light of the levy that many thousands of former students paid/were made to pay is a disgrace.

We were duped into paying that levy, they have set the level of outsider membership suitably high to keep out outsiders; it seems they have done much the same with the pricing of their alumni memberships.

And it doesn't surprise me one bit!!!

Alumni are getting a year at the student rate for every year they paid the levy - I don't think we have much to complain about there. And students voted in the levy - it's not like it was passed without telling us or giving us any input.

Cathy wrote: »
    Alumni are getting a year at the student rate for every year they paid the levy - I don't think we have much to complain about there. And students voted in the levy - it's not like it was passed without telling us or giving us any input.

As far as I am aware this discountas per how years you apid the levy is no longer applicable; all alumni will pay a flat rate of 500euro.

I didt have an issue with the levy myself, as i remember I voted it in, but I do have an issue with the fact that we were promised a considerably discounted rate, and vs the other gyms in town I dont see how 500euro is a considerable discount. NRG is marginally more expensive, you get membership of two gyms and you dont have to put up with students everywhere(not that there's anything wrong with that but it can be annoying, or at lreast that was my experience when i was a private member of a college gym previously). I understand that it s a commercial enterprise, but i do feel that the promise they made us has been reneged upon to some extent.

• Advertisement

As far as I am aware this discountas per how years you apid the levy is no longer applicable; all alumni will pay a flat rate of 500euro.

I didt have an issue with the levy myself, as i remember I voted it in, but I do have an issue with the fact that we were promised a considerably discounted rate, and vs the other gyms in town I dont see how 500euro is a considerable discount. NRG is marginally more expensive, you get membership of two gyms and you dont have to put up with students everywhere(not that there's anything wrong with that but it can be annoying, or at lreast that was my experience when i was a private member of a college gym previously). I understand that it s a commercial enterprise, but i do feel that the promise they made us has been reneged upon to some extent.

Are you basing this purely on kevmy's post, or have you heard the €500 figure elsewhere as well? I asked the SU president recently about rates and she said alumni would get one year at the student rate for each year they paid the levy (that's one year for people graduating this year), and that the student rate was €250. Until I hear otherwise from an official source, I'd take the €500 figure with a pinch of salt. I'd be interested to hear where kevmy heard this from.

No, im not basing it on Kevmys info.

2 friends of mine enquired last week, One had paid the levy for 2 years, one for one year and this(500euro) is what they were told by the staff there, I think thats an official enough source tbh. They have set the prices now it seems, and this reduction as per how many years you paid the levy won't be happening. SU cant do much as essentially its being run as a commercial enterprise and they count themselves lucky to have reduced the student fee to 250euro, as originally they were settting it at 395euro,plus SU are realistically are only going to look after the needs of current students, not alumni, as we dont keep people in office.

They can shove their gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

is anyone here involved with the SU or the gym so we can get some clarification on the rates for everyone?
    when was the levy first paid? what year?

there is a thread over on the nuig forum but there is as much hearsay over there as here.

I think Kevmys info is pretty accurate actually, it sounds much the same as what my friends heard when they enquired last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

500 euro for alumni is piss poor tbh if its true.

im gonna throw a mars bar in the pool if thats the case!:P

2 friends of mine enquired last week, One had paid the levy for 2 years, one for one year and this(500euro) is what they were told by the staff there, I think thats an official enough source tbh.

The levy only came into effect last September so it's not possible for your friend to have paid it for two years. I've emailed the SU president and asked her to come here to clear things up. Two friends (finished this year) signed up about an hour ago so I'll ask them how much they paid and let you know.

I'd be surprised if the prices have gone up - I certainly hope they haven't!

Thats a different levy.

Original was voted for in Spring 04 and came into place for the college year 04/05. I know, I paid the first year of it.

Two levies? This is a direct quote from an email from the SU president:

"Only one year of the levy has been paid so far, so anyone who graduates this year gets one year at the reduced price.

The confusion comes from the referendum text which says the levy can't start before 2005, but it was pushed back a few times because the SU wasn't happy with how things were progressing."
    I think pricing is slightly different for people who have just finished college, but not so for us old skool alumni, who put up with the original ****e facilities in the first places and are now being asked to pay thru the nose for some crappy alumni rate.

As i said, they can shove their gym...

To be fair, if you haven't paid any of the levy (which you haven't if you weren't a student last year) then why would you be entitled to a discounted rate at all? It would be nice, but I don't think there's much to complain about.

Two levies? This is a direct quote from an email from the SU president:

"Only one year of the levy has been paid so far, so anyone who graduates this year gets one year at the reduced price.

The confusion comes from the referendum text which says the levy can't start before 2005, but it was pushed back a few times because the SU wasn't happy with how things were progressing."

To be fair, if you haven't paid any of the levy (which you haven't if you weren't a student last year) then why would you be entitled to a discounted rate at all? It would be nice, but I don't think there's much to complain about.

Em, hello; quote emails from the SU president all you like, we paid a freakin levy, part of which was going towards this new sports centre. i remember, it was on the form when i registered for my final year, i voted the thing in for chrissakes.

They may have brought in a different levy subsequently, but we deffo handed the clams over in the first instance. think it was put in with something else but it hiked up the reg fee to a very high level at the time.

Fair enough, I don't remember anything on the forms about it that year but I don't know for sure. I hope someone from the SU comes on to clear it up soon. It seems odd that there would have been two levies, I've never heard that before.

Look, i dont know what was or wasn't introduced in the last three years, I left in 05 and am completeply detached from NUIG now; its on my CV thats about it.

However, myself and my fellow alumni have definately paid money towards the development, I believe it was all lumped into some sort of student contributions levy at the time.

The 500euro does not just apply to people who paid last year, i believe they are getting a different cheaper rate anyway.

I dont think the SU themselves know whats going on themselves yet either, the vagueness around the place is laughable.

Anyways, im not too pushed. I just think that 500euro is a ridiculous fee to pay to be a member of a college gym, 700 is even more laughable. I'm sticking where I am, its new, its modern, facilities are good, and its never that busy.

butta bing

• Advertisement

Just heard back from my friends who are leaving this year and they were charged €250 each.

Just heard back from my friends who are leaving this year and they were charged €250 each.

For the first year only I believe.

All other alumni who have paid some sort of mysterious levy since college year 04/05 pay 500yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MuireannO

Hi,

There was no referendum regarding the levy in Spring 04. The student charge tends to go up each year, sometimes it is the government portion which goes up, as it is this year, other times the students vote to increase it, as they did for the sports centre.

The university centre levy, which is the 100 euro being discussed, only began in September 2007, last year. This means only one years worth of graduates have paid the levy and would not have received the student price so the agreement was reached. All you need for student price is a student card, which anyone finished last year would still have. (if not, you can still get a print out from admissions as you would still be a registered student until the autumn).

I hope this clears some things up, any specific questions can be emailed to me at su.president@nuigalway.ie or I can phoned/texted at 086 385 5502.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hi Muireann,
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Any chance of getting the official rates for using the new sports centre for university clubs, for students who wish to hire the squash courts, pay-as-you-go gym users etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 skylar98

Hey guys new to boards so bare with me typed this already but new laptop and i deleted it before posting:o so here i go again. Rolypoly to the best of my knowledge there has aways been separate instructors with the classes. Joanne from crunch taught spinning (brill class) and abs blast, then there was the instructors from aras mac that taught the bodypump/attack and combat classes. I never joined crunch because i used to pay for the classes as i did them. Not sure if this is going to still be the case now. I know that in Kingfisher renmore i had a membership and had to pay extra to do the pump classes :( one of the reasons i left. If i remember rightly the membership to crunch was only E150 or so why is there such a big difference for students now? As regards the Alumni fees i have afriend who also remembers paying fees a couple of years back so this really needs some clarification!! Does anyone know if Kingfisher will be offering the attack and combat classes as they only had Pump advertised in Renmore. I met one of the Instructors from last semester and they said they would not be teaching for Kingfisher and they did not think any of the former Arus Instructors would be (no reason given) would love to know wot the story is as i loved just being able to go to classes. As regards the number signed up i have heard the same sales trick in gyms before "hurry or they will all be gone" wot worries me is how many memberships are reserved for public money? E500 and something makes much bigger profit at the end of the year!!! There should not be a cap for student membership, public membership should only be offered if the places are not taken by students this gym was meant to be built with students in mind, it seems to be mainly towards the commercial side. OK sorry for the rant

skylar98 wrote: »
    As regards the Alumni fees i have afriend who also remembers paying fees a couple of years back so this really needs some clarification!!

Thank you; I'm glad myself(or my friends) are not the only ones who remember this.

If there was no referendum in 04 then why do i distinctly remember being involved in the campaign for a yes vote:confused: as it meant societies were going to get extra facilities???

Why would I even know anything about this if all of this only started in 2007??

And why are they offering an alumni rate if it people only paid a levy in 2007?

I distinctly remember the campaign, i remeber at the time it was a very sensitive subject and we pushed it thru, and it was included in our reg fees for the following year.

And how were they going to raise 18million if they didnt begin to take the money from us in 2005??

We did definatley pay some contribution towards that centre; i am sure of it, I fail to see why we would be qualifiying for an alumni rate otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Thank you; I'm glad myself(or my friends) are not the only ones who remember this.

If there was no referendum in 04 then why do i distinctly remember being involved in the campaign for a yes vote as it meant societies were going to get extra facilities???

The referendum on the levy for the Sports Centre was in 2003
    http://su.nuigalway.ie/index.php?m=16&b=refer_rfp031
    but the levy was only introduced in September 2007. That is why those who graduate this year get an alumni rate, students only paid the Sports Centre levy for one year.

The referendum i presume you are referring to was in 2006 for student services - mainly health, entertainment, societies and clubs.
    http://su.nuigalway.ie/index.php?m=16&b=refer_rfp061

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ok so apart from the price what else do we know? Has all the machinery arrived yet? Whats it like? Is it open and ready for use?

2003/2004; hey it was a while ok!!;)

what an earth did we pay extra for then, because there was certainly an extra levy when i was in my final year 04/05

• Advertisement

Ok so apart from the price what else do we know? Has all the machinery arrived yet? Whats it like? Is it open and ready for use?

I think it opened today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement