Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New NUIG Sports Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

is this gym now taking memberships?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Read the referenda link manukahoney!

Also, there is a new gym in town ;)
    http://www.kingfisherclub.com/nuigalway.html

A list of their classes and rates
    http://www.kingfisherclub.com/timetable_nuigalway.html

And a free trial pass
    http://www.kingfisherclub.com/trial_pass.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

snubbleste wrote: »
    Read the referenda link manukahoney!

Honestly?

I couldn't be bothered. The college is only getting its act together in the last 3 years, they hardly painted the place while I was there.

Oh well; at least when they do bring back the fees there will be something worth paying for; i hope they dont expect the students to pay gym membership in that event though.

The alumni rate is a joke anyways. Corp membership is 105euro cheaper; how the hell is that fair:confused:

I'm sticking with where I am at the moment, theres no incentive for me to move to be honest.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Ok so apart from the price what else do we know? Has all the machinery arrived yet? Whats it like? Is it open and ready for use?

The gym equipment is going in this week. Open next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

One of the facilities they list is an, elite gym, don't suppose anyone knows what this will incorporate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

A general sense of smugness?

A general sense of smugness?

Well thats a given :), but from the photos on the website (I know they are small and don't show alot) but I don't see any free weights area, power racks, benchs, chin-up/dipping stations etc, I wonder are these going to be only in the elite gym? And who will have access to this "Elite" gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

sharkDawg wrote: »
    One of the facilities they list is an, elite gym, don't suppose anyone knows what this will incorporate?

The elite gym will be for the scholarship students and all the various university teams i.e. soccer, rugby. Its a good idea as it will take them out of the ordinary gym and free up a lot more of the equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

Of all the colleges I've ever been to around the world NUIG is far and away the worst.

8 years in college and you come out with a statement like that...you are a tit! (who clearly hasn't travelled very far)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Well thats a given :), but from the photos on the website (I know they are small and don't show alot) but I don't see any free weights area, power racks, benchs, chin-up/dipping stations etc, I wonder are these going to be only in the elite gym? And who will have access to this "Elite" gym?

There will be free weights area, benches and power racks. So I was told anyway when I went on the tour.

The equipment only arrived yesterday and today so the picture showed is not a picture of the gym in the NUIG centre (or at the very least not a fully stocked one) cos the equipment hadn't arrived when it was taken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Well thats a given :), but from the photos on the website (I know they are small and don't show alot) but I don't see any free weights area, power racks, benchs, chin-up/dipping stations etc,

I specifically asked about this and was assured it would be in the gym. They seem intent on providing all the equipment needed to satisfy everyone's requirements...lets wait and see.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The elite gym will be for the scholarship students and all the various university teams i.e. soccer, rugby. Its a good idea as it will take them out of the ordinary gym and free up a lot more of the equipment.

what do you mean by scholarship students? Won't people who want to lift heavy weights be allowed access to the "elite" gym?

Also I agree with cole, the staff will promise you whatever you ask when they are trying to get new members. I've had to join two other gyms in the past year, both times was told there would be a power rack coming. In fact I was told they were having one made in the second place, then when I asked about it again two weeks later she never heard of it. [/rant] So in summary I wouldn't assume there'll be anything there until you see it.

ronnie3585 wrote: »

See this is the part I don't get, firstly the number of students on scholarships is pretty minimal, its not like DCU's Sports Academy (where they rightly have their own gym). Are the members of the various teams going to pay gym membership to use this elite gym, after all it is run by kingfisher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

EJLL wrote: »
    8 years in college and you come out with a statement like that...you are a tit! (who clearly hasn't travelled very far)
    Thats way out of line.

I've travelled very far I can tell you and spent time in many colleges and college gyms in Europe, USA and Australia.

I'd agree with Brian. Until you see the gear in place believe nothing.
    Well I'm back to Maynooth in a few weeks where they have two power racks and everything a weightlifter would need.

From what I was told the elite gym just sounds like an empty room where they do there own stretches and the like. The sales guy said they would let others use it for classes like yoga if it was free.

From the NUIG Forum
    was just over at the gym, they are putting in the equipement, around a tonne of cardbord boxs out side, and big truck, gymtech is the company suppling the equipement, or at least that is what is on the truck. i asked one of the people at the desk about power racks, he said there are two smith machines, 2 power racks and one squat rack. didnt ask about the other equipement, some people were swimming in the pool.

Smith machines are such a waste of money, at least two power racks, thats something, hopefully there won't be too many doing curls in them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

Signed up yesterday, and was asking about the Elite Gym. I was told it's another gym set up for high level athletes in GAA, Rugby, Rowing and other sports people operating at a high level in their particular sports.

It will have additional equipment over and above the standard gym. It seems it is more aimed at people that are already at a high level of strength and/or fitness. Rather than those hoping to get fit/strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

sorry john I think you do, as NUIG students have been paying for this crap for 3 years in now in the form of an increased student levey. Its almost one hundered euro dearer then the old student gym and from what I hear you can't use any aspect of it without paying €250 per year! BS!

I'm not sure what the setup now is but two years ago I was in GMIT and I was able to avail of the student rate in Crunch.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Krancjar

does the €250 membership cover both gym and pool or just the one of your choice???

Afaik the Student rate is only for NUIG students, seen as they pay the €100 levy in addition to the €250 membership.
    Krancjar wrote: »
    does the €250 membership cover both gym and pool or just the one of your choice???

It covers both
    sorry john I think you do, as NUIG students have been paying for this crap for 3 years in now in the form of an increased student levey. Its almost one hundered euro dearer then the old student gym and from what I hear you can't use any aspect of it without paying €250 per year! BS!

There is a pay as you go system - Bottom Right http://www.kingfisherclub.com/timetable_nuigalway.html

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Pingu wrote: »
    Afaik the Student rate is only for NUIG students, seen as they pay the €100 levy in addition to the €250 membership.

think it also applies to alumni who have paid the levy also.

• Advertisement

hada wrote: »
    think it also applies to alumni who have paid the levy also.

It does, only to Alumni that have just graduated though, as it was only introduced last Sept.

It could have been introduced from Sept. '05, but was only allowed to go ahead last Sept. by the SU as they weren't happy with the progress up until that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I wonder does the membership cover Kingfisher gyms elsewhere?

I know a few of my mates signed up to the Kingfisher gym in Renmore and they were able to use it in Breaffy in Castlebar.

Me and a flatmate signed up today. Its very nice and definitely worth the price imo, although there are a couple of worrying things. The girl who showed us around (who was quite hot and definitely and incentive to go!) didn't have a clue about power racks, but claimed there would be some. And also there is apparently a tv for every cardio machine, so I wonder how much cash was spent on that? Hope it doesn't take away from more essential items. Anyways if anyone was wondering, the pool is open this week, and the gym from the first.

EDIT: ALSO, they aren't charging a joining fee this month, but if non students go to sign up next month they could find they have to pay another 150 quid or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sanches56

I graduated from the college last year and correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt there a levy placed on students fees for the last 3 years at least of about €50. The college has about 15,000 students, this would add up to €2 million funding paid by students in that period and now there is a fee to use the facilities for current students. That is ridiculous, the facilities should be free as they are in Trinity College. I know this is paid probably by a slightly higher registration fee but if the cost is spread over the entire college population rather than those that wish to use the gym and pool. It works out better plus it may encourage more people to make use of the facilities.
    I think the building looks average and the pool should have been a 50m, not a 25m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

S.U confirmed that the levy was only brought in last year.It was 100 euro extra so only alumni who are graduating now will get the student rate.

Apparently the reason they are not running the gym as they do in trinity (i.e-no extra fee) is to keep numbers down. They are limiting places to 4000

I agree that its stupid seeing as every student in college is paying for it and for those who dont pay the 250 they dont get to use a gym they pay 100 a year for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Krancjar

so wats the story, if your a student and you pay the €250 membership you have to pay an extra €100 aswell...? is this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Signed up at Lunchtime - very impressive place

I a previous NUIG student so i got an Alumni rate of €565/yr paying by direct direct - it would have been €499 if i paid as a lump sum

€250 for current students and those that finished last year

They tried to charge me a joining fee which i thought was waived until Monday but they said something that only been applicable for those paying the lump sum up front.

Place looks great but the staff at present seem a little clueless tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

any ideas on when the gym is going to be open for use...this swimming business is annoying me :P

Sept 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Only alumni from 2007?! Bu fees went up from 2005 after we voted!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement