Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New NUIG Sports Centre

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Jeez its been stated a million times that the levy wasn't paid for the last three years, only last year. Whether fees went up or not has nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 skylar98

hey guys for anyone like me that is interested in the classes that they are currently offering i have noted that as in all there other premises they are charging EXTRA for the pump/combat/attack classes when i asked when they were starting they seemed a little clueless, i can understand regarding the pump class due to the cost of equipment (although that should be taken into account re high fee) but there is NO apparent reason to charge extra for the others as there is no equipment needed except a good instructor? i have decided to see what is on offer in nrg as i have never liked working out whilst someone had there hand in my pocket. I am hoping for the sake of the gym and the reputation of the college that the apparant greed does not destroy the gym for the students. I think what has been lost here is the fact no matter who it was individually you guys have paid out of your own pockets for this gym and even though we have been asked to cough up even more than previously for membership we are slapped in the face again by being asked to pay for "extras" ie classes. There seems to be total confusion in regard to info and to be honest why would i pay for a membership now when i am not even sure of what is on the menu???? I can let you know that if you atttended classes last year and are hoping for the same instructors you will be disapointed, Roisin (step,pump) is living abroad, Joanne pump,attack,combat will not be working with the kingfisher, nnot sure about joanne doyle (spinning,abs blast), not sure about denise (combat,attack) or sarah (combat,pump) for the record i rang one of the instructors so info should be reliable???? As for weights and weight training in my opinion the best gym in Galway for Equipment (racks, benches, smithmachines etc) and educated advice on use and programs in Galway city gym. I would join again if they still had classes!!! yeah yeah i know :D:rolleyes: but not all of us are motivated enough to work out to a television :(

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

being honest, was down during the week to view the place, and it's completely top class. The thing is 250euro for students/alumni, it actually was the cheapest of all the tenders put forward (including Crunch's). The team behind kingfisher at NUIG seemed all up for supporting societies/teams as much as possible, the whole thing seemed fantastic.

I'm also sick and tired of people complaining about the "uncertainity and confusion" surrounding what classes/etc are going to be run - The place is just about half open, they're still getting equipment in (in fairness they only got the contract a few weeks ago) and here you've people blasting probably the best thing to come to NUIG in memorable history.

I mean they've even informally agreed to review the membership fees for students/alumni after the first year.

So maybe stop the whining and bitching.

ps. people seem also to have forgotten that the SU COULD have worked out a deal back a few years ago, but decided to wait it out and take their chances. and really, considering all circumstances, they didn't do too badly for themselves.

They have timetables for the classes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

it actually was the cheapest of all the tenders put forward (including Crunch's).

Wow, how are you privy to such information???
    The team behind kingfisher at NUIG seemed all up for supporting societies/teams as much as possible, the whole thing seemedfantastic.

Whoopee do, that is the LEAST they should be doing seeing at all the work the CLUBS/teams have done to help put the facility there in the first place. Surely when the tender from Kingfisher (who are an established company, not just starting out) was completed, they would have had details of how they would go about fitting out the gym, RUNNING classes and the general day to day duties. It couldn't be THAT different from Renmore and yet there seems to be confusion and conflicting information, some of that from the staff themselves.
    So maybe stop the whining and bitching.

Ahh, its a FORUM, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if they are not readily accepting the Kingfisher line. Btw, so defensive of Kingfisher, you're not a PRO for them by any chance:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

hada wrote: »
    ..."uncertainity and confusion" surrounding what classes/etc are going to be run ....

Maybe the uncertainty has something to do with:
    http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=817282
    http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=813578

But I do agree it's great to have a proper sports centre on campus - just depends now on the "per class" rate for students that are members of clubs but not the sports centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 skylar98

Hada, sorry but where do you get off!!!. Not sure whether someone else is paying your fee or you have some connection with the Kingfisher! The money that goes out of my pocket for membership to a gym is HARD EARNED and i would like to know what i am getting in return. Dave i agree totally with your point on Privy information, as for "bitching and whining" we in Ireland don`t do enough of it to be honest, and when we end up with a lemon we cry in our milk "wishing" we had been more informed. I totally agree that the gym is brilliant, but then so is UCL and to the best of my knowledge it is free for students. I am at a loss as to why the Kingfisher have ANY say on the actual sports hall this is surely for the use of the clubs??????? as for not being able to use it (the sports hall) without being a member of the KF that is total BS.It all boils down to money! Regarding "tenders" surely all bases have been covered when supplying documentation for considerstion so why are they now (gym open) looking for staff??????? Surely when they were given the go ahead initially they would of had the staff sorted a short time after, ready for an official opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

skylar98 wrote: »
    .... as for not being able to use it (the sports hall) without being a member of the KF that is total BS.....

Settle Petal :pac:

There was a charge of €1.50 for ppl to use the old sports hall, insurance or something like that and I guess there'll have to be something similar for the new one. Just depends how much it is. Once it's not more than €2 it should be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

skylar98 wrote: »
    Hada, sorry but where do you get off!!!. Not sure whether someone else is paying your fee or you have some connection with the Kingfisher! The money that goes out of my pocket for membership to a gym is HARD EARNED and i would like to know what i am getting in return. Dave i agree totally with your point on Privy information, as for "bitching and whining" we in Ireland don`t do enough of it to be honest, and when we end up with a lemon we cry in our milk "wishing" we had been more informed. I totally agree that the gym is brilliant, but then so is UCL and to the best of my knowledge it is free for students. I am at a loss as to why the Kingfisher have ANY say on the actual sports hall this is surely for the use of the clubs??????? as for not being able to use it (the sports hall) without being a member of the KF that is total BS.It all boils down to money! Regarding "tenders" surely all bases have been covered when supplying documentation for considerstion so why are they now (gym open) looking for staff??????? Surely when they were given the go ahead initially they would of had the staff sorted a short time after, ready for an official opening.

Munster rugby pay UL a skip of money as it is essentially there home base. They put in massive facilities and crucially had space that NUIG is lacking and so it is often used by outside clubs (like Munster but I know some GAA clubs avail of some of the services). Irish rugby teams often train down there.

Nothing comes free it all has to be paid for. UL are just using a different way to fund than NUIG. TBH I think NUIG have it right. There are not beholden to outside interest and played to their strengths as a central location in the city. This way it will all be paid off and you will get a fairly professional crew running the place in Kingfisher. How many times did we get complaints about Crunch being run by morons who had no idea how to run a gym?

As for the classes some are free with membership and some have to be paid for. Presumably when outside instructors come in to give classes.

So who's been in? I went an hour ago, there are feck loads of cardio machines, as you might expect. In the "fitness studio" there is a chin and dips station, a power rack, two benches with racks, and 3 or 4 other benches. Then there's the usual isolation machines. Atm there is only one barbell and a few plates, I was told the delivery didn't come and should be here later in the week or next week. There isn't much space in the weights section. I didn't get into the "elite gym" today, I think I saw the room, which seemed to be full of nautilius machines. If there's space for deads and oly lifts it will be a useful area though.

• Advertisement

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    Wow, how are you privy to such information???

If you actually talked to anyone involved in the setting up the sports centre they'll tell you this.

Whoopee do, that is the LEAST they should be doing seeing at all the work the CLUBS/teams have done to help put the facility there in the first place. Surely when the tender from Kingfisher (who are an established company, not just starting out) was completed, they would have had details of how they would go about fitting out the gym

they did know who they were fitting out the gym, didn't they make the order for the equipment?
    RUNNING classes and the general day to day duties. It couldn't be THAT different from Renmore and yet there seems to be confusion and conflicting information, some of that from the staff themselves.

It couldn't be that different from renmore? Dave I'm going to pretend you don't have an absolute clue about NUIG's societies and clubs for a minute and explain things very verrry slowly for you... There are over 60 active Socities at NUIG and as many clubs, each with their own stake in things as to demands re use of the various rooms/halls/elite gym in the complex. Now, university doesn't start again until the 8th, so how the hell are the people at Kingfisher meant to know when and who wants time allocated to them re those clubs/socities?.. Yes, it appears it's exactly the same as renmore. :rolleyes:

Ahh, its a FORUM, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if they are not readily accepting the Kingfisher line. Btw, so defensive of Kingfisher, you're not a PRO for them by any chance

I have a valid opinion about the state of the new gym, which trumps your ignorance of the whole affair... Of course I'm a PRO for Kingfisher. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Ballisong

So who's been in? I went an hour ago, there are feck loads of cardio machines, as you might expect. In the "fitness studio" there is a chin and dips station, a power rack, two benches with racks, and 3 or 4 other benches. Then there's the usual isolation machines. Atm there is only one barbell and a few plates, I was told the delivery didn't come and should be here later in the week or next week. There isn't much space in the weights section. I didn't get into the "elite gym" today, I think I saw the room, which seemed to be full of nautilius machines. If there's space for deads and oly lifts it will be a useful area though.

Me and my flat mate went in there today for a tour. Wasn't impressed with the weights area to be honest, hopefully your right and there will be more plates and stuff arriving soon as there is very little there other than the dumb bells which went up to 50kgs, which isn't to bad. But I don't think there is an awful lot of room there especially for Olympic lifts and the like and if it's any way busy forget about it. Wasn't hugely impressed with the "elite" gym either but I'm still uncertain about the availability of it for members, the girl who gave the tour was very vague about it.

There are heaps of cardio machines though so I can't see anyone ever being stuck to use one. The core room is really good too, it has almost everything you need.
    There are over 60 active Socities at NUIG and as many clubs, each with their own stake in things as to demands re use of the various rooms/halls/elite gym in the complex. Now, university doesn't start again until the 8th, so how the hell are the people at Kingfisher meant to know when and who wants time allocated to them re those clubs/socities?..

The Uni may not start till the 8th but working in the club trade I know a LOT of the students have been back for a week or so getting their accommodation and stuff set up. Also one of my good friends was one of the club captains last year and was in there a few days ago and was unable to even to talk to anyone about what the set up is going to be for the clubs and societies in the new complex and he couldn't even book a meeting with anyone to discuss it at a later date, which I thought was a bit unprofesinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Went in on sunday and got a full tour, top class, especially the core area...have one major problem, the elite room is sh!t!!! whoever got the equipment and thought it as elite should be fired, 9 oversized weight plate machines, no oly bars, no platforms! None of the elite athletes are gonna improve with them machines

Thats exactly what I was thinking d-gal. Is there space for oly lifting though? As I said all the deliveries haven't arrived yet, so there may be plenty of oly bars there in a week or two. Afaik kettle bells were mentioned as well, haven't seen them yet. I hope they are getting another power rack or five for the elite gym, it would be complete bollocks if there's only one sh1tty rack in the whole gym!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

howya,
    i am in galway every now and then and would love to find a gym with spinning that i can join and pay for each visit.
    anyone tried the reebok cycling classes at nuig yet?
    is there an extra charge for them?
    or anyone know of good spinning classes in other gyms i can pay by each visit?
    cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Thats exactly what I was thinking d-gal. Is there space for oly lifting though? As I said all the deliveries haven't arrived yet, so there may be plenty of oly bars there in a week or two. Afaik kettle bells were mentioned as well, haven't seen them yet. I hope they are getting another power rack or five for the elite gym, it would be complete bollocks if there's only one sh1tty rack in the whole gym!

No room for them, and from what I have heard they have got all equipment in now!! Its crazy, I thought the core room was a load of oly platforms but turns out just core and thats. My opinion...elite room...worst ever

That's crazy! How can they just have one power rack???? Well that enforces my idea to train in the morning before uni. FFS, if I had known that I would've seriously considered another gym before signing up.

Ballisong wrote: »
    The Uni may not start till the 8th but working in the club trade I know a LOT of the students have been back for a week or so getting their accommodation and stuff set up. Also one of my good friends was one of the club captains last year and was in there a few days ago and was unable to even to talk to anyone about what the set up is going to be for the clubs and societies in the new complex and he couldn't even book a meeting with anyone to discuss it at a later date, which I thought was a bit unprofesinal.

Working in the club trade?

Oh then you'll know that Kingfisher have taken the old sports centre's timetable as a template already and that all planning/booking is going through Muireann O'Dwyer (the interm sports captain) first before going to Kingfisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

That's crazy! How can they just have one power rack???? Well that enforces my idea to train in the morning before uni. FFS, if I had known that I would've seriously considered another gym before signing up.

they only have one smith machine?????? really???

THE PLACE IS HUUUGE!

NO, one power rack. No smith at all from what I saw, not a bad thing imo. The place is huge, but the majority of the building is taken up with the sports hall(s).

• Advertisement

NO, one power rack. No smith at all from what I saw, not a bad thing imo. The place is huge, but the majority of the building is taken up with the sports hall(s).

true. from what I saw, the gym itself isn't massive (not including the separate room for torso/free weights), they've a hell of a lot of equipment though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Ballisong

Oh then you'll know that Kingfisher have taken the old sports centre's timetable as a template already and that all planning/booking is going through Muireann O'Dwyer (the interm sports captain) first before going to Kingfisher.

How would we know that when anyone the guy talked to didn't know anything and anyone that supposedly did know just wouldn't talk to him.

So what is the story then, will you have to be a member of the gym as well to go to any of the club classes? Will the clubs have to rent the space and will they be in the sports hall or one of the studios?
    Working in the club trade?

Nightclubs.

If you actually talked to anyone involved in the setting up the sports centre they'll tell you this.

Amazing, thats the first time I've heard of TENDERS been open public information, particularly at this early stage!!
    they did know who they were fitting out the gym, didn't they make the order for the equipment?

Well at least you can count whatever about your command of the English language. Haven't a clue what point you're trying to make here.
    t couldn't be that different from renmore? Dave I'm going to pretend you don't have an absolute clue about NUIG's societies and clubs for a minute and explain things very verrry slowly for you... There are over 60 active Socities at NUIG and as many clubs, each with their own stake in things as to demands re use of the various rooms/halls/elite gym in the complex. Now, university doesn't start again until the 8th, so how the hell are the people at Kingfisher meant to know when and who wants time allocated to them re those clubs/socities?.. Yes, it appears it's exactly the same as renmore.

Doh, my point was that if they're already in the business, they should AT LEAST be a bit better organised or maybe inform their staff a little bit better.
    I have a valid opinion about the state of the new gym, which trumps your ignorance of the whole affair... Of course I'm a PRO for Kingfisher.

As do I, and I'm entitled to air it here, even if it upsets your rosy coloured view of things.

Amazing, thats the first time I've heard of TENDERS been open public information, particularly at this early stage!!

Well at least you can count whatever about your command of the English language. Haven't a clue what point you're trying to make here.

Doh, my point was that if they're already in the business, they should AT LEAST be a bit better organised or maybe inform their staff a little bit better.

As do I, and I'm entitled to air it here, even if it upsets your rosy coloured view of things.

Ok, I could start the pissing competition which you're trying to get into about this, but it's not worth the time because it's clear you're not that informed about the matter at all, and frankly, you would rather bitch and whine, than actually listen to the actual facts of the deal I've told you.

The Sports Centre will be of a great benefit to NUIG, if anything, it's the first stage in the whole 420million Euro investment to make NUIG's campus one of the best in the country - something which badly needs to be done.

With regards the actual running of the centre, all college societies/clubs will benefit umpteen times over - I mean, for example, our climbing club now has a great climbing wall, our kayak club now has a place to practice polo, etc etc.. Hell, even the boardrooms upstairs are top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rolypoly

well said Hada cause i was starting to wonder about the excessive whining that was starting here. Tha facility is fantastic . . . . not a member at that particular one but think i will join when i finished in Renmore one. Anyway.....happy workouts everyone that has the time and energy after all the bitching:D:D:D

I wouldn't go as far as to say fantastic roly, there's only one power rack, the elite gym is anything but. Yes if you want the cardio machines there's plenty, but its really nothing special. Bigger than the previous gyms I've been in, but that's not enough to consider it fantastic.

Ok, I could start the pissing competition which you're trying to get into about this

Really....you haven't been doing too bad up to this point:rolleyes:
    it's clear you're not that informed about the matter at all

Point conceded...BUT then I'm not privy to Tender information like you.
    The Sports Centre will be of a great benefit to NUIG

NEVER said this was not the case, I'm addressing concerns over the COMMERCIAL concern that have won the tender and so far displayed a level of unprofessionalism.
    our climbing club now has a great climbing wall

Wow, there was a well used wall in Arás Na McLeinn, so thats hardly a new addition which surely you would have known if you were ever in the old sports centre. As regards the other clubs that remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wipeout.wendy

whats the discount for alumni who paid the levy whilst at the wonderful NUIG??
    exactly... really is there a reduced rate for Alumni?

also i've never come accross a gym that doesn't give a **** about its users... students...

was climbing on the wall the other day and they kicked me out... i've been on the wall for 3 yrs now and when i show'd them an old wall pass (as it was the only one i had with me as it was on my harness) the wouldn't take it because it didn't look excatly like the new one... daaaaaaa

said they'd never seen that one before... wow so they really pay attention to the wall users...

so does any one know how the gym & when the gym does maintenence on the wall and buys new ropes and trains people in?

... oh ya the club have to do this right?... but they are in charge of kicking the people out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

exactly... really is there a reduced rate for Alumni?

also i've never come accross a gym that doesn't give a **** about its users... students...

was climbing on the wall the other day and they kicked me out... i've been on the wall for 3 yrs now and when i show'd them an old wall pass (as it was the only one i had with me as it was on my harness) the wouldn't take it because it didn't look excatly like the new one... daaaaaaa

said they'd never seen that one before... wow so they really pay attention to the wall users...

so does any one know how the gym & when the gym does maintenence on the wall and buys new ropes and trains people in?

... oh ya the club have to do this right?... but they are in charge of kicking the people out.....

The gym blows plain and simple. The state of it was shocking less than a year after it opened. They aren't take enough care of the place. The parking situation is a complete disaster for people that don't live near by. I'm letting my membership run out and after a couple of months I'm going to buy a rowing machine for the same price of 2 months membership.

Also interestingly they seemed prepared to knock 72 euro off the price of membership for me this year. I still wouldn't pay it, it's a shambles..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Finding a 2 year old thread to give out about a gym?
    Use the fitness forum and start a new thread pls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement