Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MY VW GOLF HATES THE RAIN!!

Options
  • 18-08-2008 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,
    I've a 97 VW Golf, just recently passed the NCT and generally drives fine. A few months ago it cut out for apparently no reason, then started up fine after about 40 mins, brought it to a local garage, they checked it out for a week, couldn't find anything wrong with it. A wee while ago the same thing happened, this time I noticed it had happened straight after I drove through a large puddle (the first time it had been raining for a few days and I may well have done the same). Meant to do something about it but never got around to it. Saturday I was driving in the rain, went through a huge puddle of water, the car cut out for a lot longer this time. A friend has suggested this is happening when the altenator gets wet, I rung the garage and they said it wouldn't be the altenator, it's more likely the coil or distributor(whatever the hell that means!!)
    I'm posting really to find out if anyone elses car has done this, or if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing it. It's my first car and I know nothing about them, I'd like to have an idea from other people to see if it tallys with what the garage is saying. Also, if it is a fixable problem, it's an old car but runs well apart from this, if I was sure it could be fixed once and for all I'd be happy to keep it, but if there's a chance that this could keep happening then I'll just have to get rid of it. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, ta!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

petrol cars need a spark from the spark plugs to run - splash through a big puddle in a petrol car, things that shouldnt get wet, get wet and bad things happen. Take it easy through the puddles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, ta!

Stop driving through huge puddles. :D

Advertisement