Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting laptops to a Pub projector

Options
  • 18-08-2008 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I'd like to show some movies as part of a fundraising evening in the local pub and thought it would be good to shop them on their big screen that they usually have the sport on. Is it a simple task to connect a lap top up to it and show a video or is it a little more complicated than that? Cheers.

Coz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

what outputs has your laptop ?
    And what type of movies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

One of the laptops is a Toshiba Satellite http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmod.to?coid=-33536

and the other is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2030 http://www.ciao.co.uk/Fujitsu_Siemens_AMILO_Pro_V2030_Edition__6372704

The movies are variable... I can either run them direct from CD or from the hard drive... they'll mainly be avi format if I do that. Does that help?

You didnt answer my questions :p

What outputs have the laptops ?

and are you showing "real" movies ?

In reply to your first question i dont know what 'outputs' they have. Could you tell me how I might identify these.

In relation the second question, what exactly do you mean by 'real' movies? Do you mean movies that have been produced and directed by a Hollywood media moghul (or some equivalent - in India perhaps) or do you mean something I shot on the camcaroder I dont possess?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Shouldnt be a problem. Depends on the projector, some have VGA in some have the red white yellow ones etc.

Esentially it will depend on the cable you have. Its going to most likely have to be VGA out from the laptop and in whatever port there is on the projector. Pics or model of projector and we can help you out. :)

• Advertisement

No problem... I'll take a couple of snaps and post em up :)

cozski wrote: »
    No problem... I'll take a couple of snaps and post em up :)

Well it turns out that we dont need to rig the laptops up as the pubs have DVD players connected directly.... so the question now is... the movies I have are all in avi. format... If i copy them to disc do I ned to convert them to another file format to ensure thye play on the DVD player?

Well it turns out that we dont need to rig the laptops up as the pubs have DVD players connected directly.... so the question now is... the movies I have are all in avi. format... If i copy them to disc do I ned to convert them to another file format to ensure thye play on the DVD player?
    just copy them to dvd and try them on your home player ...

I converted them using Xilisoft and then copied them using Vista's DVD Creator utility - did the job grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

This all sounds Very illegal - Are you showing hollywood movies?

• Advertisement

Lump wrote: »
    This all sounds Very illegal - Are you showing hollywood movies?

No, I dont watch Hollywood movies on a point of principle - most of them are Dogme films... and it was a fundraising initiative for children with terminal illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It might be fundraising, just be careful no one complains or you get done for copyright infringment

I wouldn't be overly concerned with that to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

I wouldn't be overly concerned with that to be honest.

Well, no need to worry at all if you're not showing copyright material. If you are, you'd be surprised how quickly you can get found out.

Advertisement