Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a secure wireless router

Options
  • 18-08-2008 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have NTL BB and I'd like to add a quality wireless router.

I work from home and have a fileserver in place so my priority is security as I don't fancy anyone being able to get in and access the server.

I might also set up a VLAN as an extra level of security against the wired and wireless networks in the house.

My current favourite is the Cisco 871. Can anyone recommend me a better router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

If you want to be really secure from people trying to crack your wireless, don't use wireless :P.
    The 871 uses AES, TLS, LEAP, PEAP, TKIP, WPA-PSK, Triple DES for encryption options. If you're planing to use AES, TKIP or WPA-PSK, you can get that with the cheaper linksys routers. Anything in mind exactly for security? The only problem with the soho routers is that the ones i've had a look at don't have vlan support, doesn't mean it can't be achieved, just have to find one that does it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Security and Wireless shouldn't be used in the same sentence. If you require that level of security I wouldn't bother with wireless.

However, if its a home network, just used plain old WPA. Most hackers won't bother with WPA networks. It just takes too longer. There are too many WEP networks to take instead. I used WPA with an iPig home server, so I am fairly secure.

Also be careful, as some cards (especially mobile devices) can't support higher plain encryption protocols.

Advertisement