Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Boy Racer Lingo/Slang

Options
  • 18-08-2008 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I don't know a single boyracer however i'm researching something at the moment and a small part of this research requires me to know some Boy racer lingo in the local area: Can someone tell me some slang commonly used by boyracers to refer to their cars, driving, speeding, you're average daily pedestrian harrassment etc,

I'd be grateful for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

GWCat wrote: »
    I don't know a single boyracer however i'm researching something at the moment and a small part of this research requires me to know some Boy racer lingo in the local area: Can someone tell me some slang commonly used by boyracers to refer to their cars, driving, speeding, you're average daily pedestrian harrassment etc,

lol wtf? Try the motors forum

Car = Car
    Driving = Driving
    Speeding = FLAT OUT! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Come on out with your agenda?

Personally if your a journalist I say get down to tesco car park and interview them for yourself. Too many ill informed journalists around the place.

Do you really want to target a group with second hand information for your research/article? Do you think that will make you a good researcher? No.

Do you really want to target a group with second hand information for your research/article? Do you think that will make you a good researcher? No.

Seems to suffice for Galway F***t :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

If you find some lingo or slang can you research some slang for alcohol too?

Thx lol tb xx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'm researching something at the moment

Drifting = what a Galway First 'journalist' is encouraged to do when they get the start, as in:

"Drift onto Boards.ie registration page, then register your ass and then start a thread asking what "Drifting" means"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You probably be better off in Modified cars section
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=603

I would assume the boys here take their slang from UK http://www.boyracerguide.co.uk/guide.php or just use normal slang.
    "Go on ya good thing" = "nice drift there Keith"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

What this got to do with Galway City?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GWCat

Not a journalist, it's actually a character piece I'm working on and I've no intention of interviewing boyracer's in tesco car park. How will that go down, "Hello I want to ask some questions as I am writing a piece on Boy racers at the moment"
    Reply: "F**k off!!!"
    Yeah great idea. Anyway its mainly galway expressions I'm looking for so I chose Galway forum but I'll move this over to the motors forum, might be more helpful

Couldn't be any less helpful even if they were to reply in encrypted Swahili

welcome to the Galway Forum :D

Not a journalist, it's actually a character piece I'm working on and I've no intention of interviewing boyracer's in tesco car park. How will that go down, "Hello I want to ask some questions as I am writing a piece on Boy racers at the moment"
    Reply: "F**k off!!!"
    Yeah great idea. Anyway its mainly galway expressions I'm looking for so I chose Galway forum but I'll move this over to the motors forum, might be more helpful

Couldn't be any less helpful even if they were to reply in encrypted Swahili

Well duh if you went down and asked them like that! :rolleyes:

Go down and find out what makes them tick - write something interesting and fresh for a change. Give us an insight - who gives a f*ck or wants to hear anymore of the stereotypical sh*t we read every day anyway.

And just for the record I'm not a boy racer but I hate propaganda and ill informed journalism etc.

Seriously anyway if your going to write something about others that other people will read what gives you the right to potentially slander them or stereotype them with useless second, third, fourth hand information.

What's this character piece for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there even particular Galway expressions? Do you have any base for believing that? Do you have examples?

FYI, people regging onto boards and wanting information in the first post are usually treated as "suspicious until proven helpful".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yes so you know for next time, be honest and up front about why you are looking for the info.

e.g.

Hello all I am an english student/journalist writing a piece on the boy racer subculture in Galway, I am wondering if anyone knows of any galway specific lingo relating to this subculture so I can make my piece as authentic as possible.

thank you.

This might get you a few more helpful responses. We've had lazy journo's coming round here before looking for anecdotes to fit their pre formed opinions. And we don't like doing other peoples work for them.

I can't find the thread now... it may have been deleted...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

e.g.

Hello all I am an english student/journalist writing a piece on the boy racer subculture in Galway, I am wondering if anyone knows of any galway specific lingo relating to this subculture so I can make my piece as authentic as possible.

thank you.

Me thinks you have given the lazy journos the perfect template :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

DeadSkin wrote: »

I live to give :p

Well if they did come along and then there was an article in galway first a few weeks later we could get more stringent.

You know....photo identification, finger printing and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

You could just go read some of the modified motors web sites the likes of cruiseirl and a few others, years since I looked at any so I dont know whats still active.

But honestly just go down to tesco in a belt/mini-skirt and ask the lads they would be more than happy to help :D

Well if they did come along and then there was an article in galway first a few weeks later we could get more stringent.

You know....photo identification, finger printing and the like.

Erm, ooookay!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

"Keep her straight sideways"

"If in doubt diff her out"

;)

Erm, ooookay!

Can't take a joke :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Loud pipes save lives. My vtec blah blah BS is well souped

• Advertisement

Can't take a joke :P

Oh, I thought you were serious :pac: :p;)

Oh, I thought you were serious :pac: :p;)

Erm, ooookay!

Erm, ooookay!

LMAO :D

Is it possible socalled boyracers or anyone of a younger generation speeding around in a car are influenced by MTV/american i.e 'pimp my ride' type terminology, car might ="wheels, or ride" and so fort

Or is car simply just a car

Come on now don't be shy, no shame in admitting you know some boyracers

Is it possible socalled boyracers or anyone of a younger generation speeding around in a car are influenced by MTV/american i.e 'pimp my ride' type terminology, car might ="wheels, or ride" and so fort

Or is car simply just a car

Come on now don't be shy, no shame in admitting you know some boyracers

Emmm no. American car modifying is tasteless and completely different to styles used in Europe - maybe a select few idiots - You know the kind you see driving around in pink puntos with leopard skin seat covers. Havn't a clue why it's even exported to europe.

Or is a car simply just a car? Hmmm how thought provoking...not. What does that mean?

What is this piece for? I think personally this should be locked now as it's already been locked in after hours and motors.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055359482
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055359134

Emmm no. American car modifying is tasteless and completely different to styles used in Europe - maybe a select few idiots - You know the kind you see driving around in pink puntos with leopard skin seat covers. Havn't a clue why it's even exported to europe.

Or is a car simply just a car? Hmmm how thought provoking...not. What does that mean?

What is this piece for? I think personally this should be locked now as it's already been locked in after hours and motors.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055359482
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055359134

Freedom of speech eh!
    It's been locked there due to repetition, being new to the site I wasn't aware threads couldn't be repeated even if it were in other forums.
    It's for a page long creative writing piece. I would have placed it in creative writing section but there's so little activity in there that it seems to have flatlined.

Anyway it should be locked soon as I've requested moderator to do so so I can reopen elsewhere
    Oh the joys of repeated cynisicsm

Freedom of speech eh!
    It's been locked there due to repetition, being new to the site I wasn't aware threads couldn't be repeated even if it were in other forums.
    It's for a page long creative writing piece. I would have placed it in creative writing section but there's so little activity in there that it seems to have flatlined.

Anyway it should be locked soon as I've requested moderator to do so so I can reopen elsewhere
    Oh the joys of repeated cynisicsm

Repeated? I don't see that as the reason either of your posts were locked.

Repeated? I don't see that as the reason either of your posts were locked.
    Ok enlighten me

Well one was according to the moderator who locked it. The motors one was just tossed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 iphone newbie

Or is a car simply just a car? Hmmm how thought provoking...not.

You are hilarious....not. See what I did there.

• Advertisement

Ok this is my first time ever dealing with a forum thread apart from the tech support ones for fixing the computer. I'm noticing a trend. Everyone has a dig at everyone else interesting behaviour. The information I seek assistance in goes unanswered. Maybe I'll change the character to a sad lonely man who sits at his computer all day writing in electronic forums, because he has no noticeable personality in the real world he has resorted to developing an electronic one. hmm I like that... maybe one day there'll be a powercut and his computer goes blank. What does he do then hmm...stare at the wall perhaps, alone in his room, his only movement is his blinking...Perhaps online he'll be known as 'Workaccount' :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement