Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diploma in Accountancy & Finance DBS

• 18-08-2008 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Has anyone completed the evening Diploma in Accountancy & Finance in DBS?

Does anyone know if you get any ACCA exemptions for sucessfully completing it?

Before anyone says it, yeah I have already checked with the college & also with the ACCA. The college told me to check with the ACCA & the ACCA couldn't give me an answer, just told me to submit my transcript when I got my final results and they would decide then.

Is there anyone out there who has completed this course & received ACCA exemptions?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

I haven't taken this course, not do I know anyone who has, but I have looked at it before and then reviewed the ICAI exemptions. I know you said the ACCA, but there isn't much of a difference between the two when awarding exemption. My best guess would be that it isn't worth you. I don't believe that would even receive exemptions from the first 4 papers. When you compare the modules taken with the exams, there isn't much overlap, except for Finance. Finance I & II are offered as part of both the Diploma as well as the BA (honours). Even with a BA (honours) you won't be exempt from much. You would probably get exempt from F1-F4. For the ICAI, you would get a CAP 1 exemption.

I'm not sure how old you are or what qualification you have, but the ACCA has a mature student entry route for individuals over 21, or if you meet there GCSE requirements, you can register and study without being in a training contract first. Eventually, you will have to complete 3 years of training. However, you could register with the ACCA and then register for the courses and exams. Also, they have an option of completing a BSc in Applied Accounting through Oxford Brookes University, which requires just a little extra work once exams are complete. Also, HETAC recognises both the ACCA and ICAI qualifications as a Level 9 (Masters Degree) qualification.

Just my thoughts on it. It's a little later to register with the ACCA now to complete the F1 and F2 courses and exams since the start date is Aug 27 at DBS and Aug 25 at GCD.

Best of luck. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭EM2008

hey i did the diploma a few years ago so it may have changed since then. I started in the Feb and ended in Jan so it was only like 6 months of lectures taking holidays etc into account. I hadn't done anything accountancy like since biz studies for my junior cert. I found the course very good as a basic understanding of things and to see if I actually liked doing it enough before i committed 4 years to a longer course.
    It is very easy to get good marks in the diploma as your lecture sets the paper and you get very useful tips for the exam. For this reason no exemptions are given off professional exams.
    I started the CPA from the beginning in Formation One and found that a good bit of what I learnt in the Diploma was done again in the cpa course but in a bit more detail. I feel that the diploma gave me a good start on the cpa course as without it i would have struggled a lot more.
    If you are looking to do a course that gets you exemptions you would want to be doing the IATI as you get a lot of exemptions and as far as i know your membershio is transferred to the ACCA but i'm not 100% sure of that.
    If you want to do a course to give you a taster if you like it or not, or to refresh your brain the Diploma is a good place to start. you should keep in mind that you can't do much with it when your finished but its a very short course so it shouldn't be too bad.
    Also it will give you a taster for studying part time if you've never done it before

Advertisement