Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sligo and martial arts

• 18-08-2008 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

does anyone know if there are many martial arts clubs in sligo
    either in the colleges or out around the town???

prefrably jujitsu or judo or even an MMA club????

anything is better than nothin tho

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 toastomatic

Theres an aikido club in the quay street car park and some of their members run the aikido club in the IT and I know a few people who enjoy that a lot.
    I also heard about other things like karate but dont know anybody doing them personally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

is that martial or marital ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭mr.miagi

mi spelling is probally bad
    dont grill me 4 it

you get the idea what im talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

ah, you may have missed my attempt at humour, never mind :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Hi Miagi. There is an aikido club in the IT and training starts 24th september and is on every wedensday.
    As for mma/bjj there is a couple of guys who train in the mercy college gym in sligo. Ive no contacts or dont know what the set up is but you could call the gym for more details: 071-9142525 one of the staff may have a number for you.

As far as I know you have the following in the town:

Aikido
    BJJ
    Capoeira (dont know if this is still going on)
    Karate (wado ryu) 2 clubs

Kickboxing-mugendo.. emphasis on light and full contact. less than 5 minutes from the college and a good club.

Shuriken jutsu... not the ninja stars, it looks to be a mix of a few things
    Sport karate/semi contact kickboxing
    Tang soo do

Think thats about it, hope you find something you like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Green Dragon is the best MA club in Sligo I'd reckon. It's definitely the most successful in competition, and also some of the best trainers in the country. They cleaned up at the world championships last year, and you will be training with world champions.

Some contacts:
    http://www.sligosportandrecreation.ie/html/c_karate.html

http://www.greendragon.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 westcoastshuri

Hi all

Thanks for including us on the list of clubs in Sligo.

Just to Clarify Shuriken jutsu is a hybrid Martial Arts system combined of elements taken from Karate , Kickboxing , Jujutsu , western Boxing and various other arts/fighting systems .

It incorporates traditional striking techniques , close quarter combat techniques , Locks and holds , weapons ( modern and traditional ) Kata , weapon defense and has many other aspects .It focuses heavily on practical combat and self defense .

Like most other Arts we do not claim to be better or worse than any other system - just different and in being so welcome all be it beginners , people returning to martial arts after an absence or people currently training who would enjoy adding to their current schedule .

Our class is held in the MCR centre Monday nights from 9pm to 10.30pm and at the moment is currently adult only ( though over 16's generally are accepted )

If you would like any more info you can mail me at <snip>

Regards,,

Darren

I also heard there was a Jeet Kun Do club in Collooney .

Dar

Just realised thats the second time ive pimped my club - apologies all .

Did Mr Miagi ever find a class ?

Dar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pyro202

did you ever find a club???, what about green dragon??

Advertisement