Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im having problems housetraining my pup

Options
  • 18-08-2008 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hiya
    I got a new puppy about three months ago. Hes an irish wolfhound so he isnt the smallest of dogs. Ive had dogs before and have had no trouble training them.

At the start he wasnt to bad, he would whine at the door when he wanted to go out to do his buisness, but just recently he doesnt do anything to warn us. All he does is get out of his bed and pee or poo without warning.(this is cleaned up and disinfected immediatly)

This isnt from lack of taking him out, we take him out every half hour to 3/4 of an hour and stand outside with him on a lead for about 5-10 minuets. But still he seems to come in to the house and 5 mins later he will have an accident.

he is now six months old and we are getting desperate :(
    we dont no what else to do... Please help.

Hattie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Do you actually see him/her do it? If so, do you shout loudly and immediately put the dog out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭hattie-f

We wouldnt normally but when we do we shout loudly then take him straight out .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Looks like you forgot the other side of the bargain ...praising him when he actually does his business outside.

In the weather we're having you couldn't really blame him for choosing the warm and dry option for going to the loo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Bring him out first thing in the morning and praise him when he does his business. Continue praising him outside when he does it. If he starts to do it inside get a small water pistol to squirt him with and say no firmly. Bring him outside and then ignore him till he does something ,then praise him or even give him a small treat. Hope this helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Have you tried crate training? At the moment it sounds like it is too easy to just get up and do it, some dogs are just lazy. If you crate train him and have him in the crate when he is in the house for a few weeks while he learns that he must go outside. If he is in the crate he will have to ask to go out and can't just get up and go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You really have to see him doing it and correct him there and then. Not much else you can do really. He will just grow out of it. I crate trained mine, makes things a lot easier.

Yeah, of course praising him when he does it outside, I forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Would he have an incontinent problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭hattie-f

We do praise him when he goes out side but still he doesnt seem to make the link.
    Crate training didnt work (we used this on previous dogs)
    thank you so much for the replies i appreciate it alot

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

If you have tried all these things then the next port of call should be the vet to check physical health and then a behaviourist who can come into your house and see the problem as it is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

peasant wrote: »

In the weather we're having you couldn't really blame him for choosing the warm and dry option for going to the loo :D

Actually this is a problem I'm having with Ruby.

First off, unlike Jericho (who's male and thick as a bag of hammers) Ruby is cute, she runs to the door and stops in her tracks to check the weather.

If its inclement there's no getting her out. But I insist, and have stayed in the garden with her unlike I admit defeat and bring her in.

As soon as she's in she lets loose with both barrels :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

I dont know how much truth there is in it, but in a lot of books i have read on my dogs and general dog books, one point that comes up is that you shouldnt clean up after your dog while they are beside you. Apparently seeing you clean up after them translates to them thats it ok to do it as you'll clean it up...its not something i ever followed but i wonder is there much truth in it?.

I would agree with the praising thing. Treats for going to the toilet out the back. And while they are going, say the command to them, so they know "Toilet" = treat. Works for my two anyways.

One other thing aswell i found, when you clean up an accident in the house, try use good disenfectants that will get rid of any scent of the wee so the dog doesnt go back to the same spot where he thinks its ok to wee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

You could also try bell training - I've never had to try it but I know people who've had great success with it. Just hang a small bell at the dog's level at the back door and every time you bring her out to wee, lift her paw and ring the bell - she should (hopefully!) very soon get the hang of ringing it herself to let you know she needs to go out.

Although having said that, I do have one friend whose dog got a bit too wise to it, and started ringing the bell any time she saw something even remotely interesting in the garden - birds, butterflies, blowing leaves - so she could go out and have a look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

haha yeah i could imagine that getting out of hand very quickly...i'd be driven mad with the bell.

Advertisement