Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

planning permission re montessori school

• 18-08-2008 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hi,

Wondered if anyone could help. i have applied for pp for change of use of room in my home for montessori school. they only came back telling me that it is guidelines that these are only located in urban areas. how will i get around this i have stated that the RURAL area is well built up with schools church shop..they have given me an extension of time to get back to them. Any advice appreciated. i have a local councilor on it but he reckons it will be difficult as the guidelines are in place.HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If the guidelines are there then it will be quite a job to convince the planners that it is an acceptable proposal. However you should find out for sure if it is guidelines or objectives of the County or local development plan.

Guidelines are guidelines and can be open to debate and varying opinions. You would need to show hard figures in relation to the local population. Get in touch with the local clergy and see how many children were babtised in the last couple of years. The same for the local national school in relation to new enrollments. get a letter from the local postmaster to confirm that there are X number of houses in the parish. Even drive around yourself and count the number of houses and if necessary get a little petition going in support of the proposal. It really is about numbers.

Before you do any of this talk to the planner concerned and see what documentation they are willing to accept in support of your application.

If the issue of a montessori school is an objective of the development plan then the planners hands are tied. The only 2 options open to you in this event is to request the local councilors to materially contravene their development plan or in the vent of a refusal you will always have the right to appeal to An Bord Pleanala.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

I would imagine that if you can show a genuine need in the community for the facility then you have a very good case. If there is a need then this is discrimination against a rural community, local families will have to travel by car and what not to get their children to creche which is environmentally unfriendly...

Bottom line is organise a meeting with the planners and figure out what it is that they are after.. and see if you can provide it...

failing that, start getting local councillors involved and get parents in the area to lobby them hard !

This type of facility is very common in rural areas and very necessary, seems like a bizare policy to me.... what county are you in ?

P.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what county ch8??

i have had a few different applications for Montessori / crèche type developments in rural areas and haven't had any problem.

some info that you should get together...

1. a petition type list of all potential clients with names, addresses, distances from site and childrens ages
    2. discovery series map showing typical catchment area. alos showning location and catchment area of any other local similar type schools
    3. make sure all roads issues are OK, ie that the access road can take higher quantities of car journeys... that there is sufficient on site parking / turning circles etc

basically, if you can show theres a demand for it in the locality, that should negate any arbitory statement such as 'these should only be in urban areas'....

Advertisement