Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead computer?

Options
  • 18-08-2008 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I was upgrading my pc from 2gbs to 4gbs of ram and the pc wouldn't get past the initial xp loading screen.

I unplugged it to take out one stick of ram and while doing it noticed that the tv in cable had a tiny charge off it?
    It accidently touched the base of the computer and ever since the pc seems to be dead(no lights on the board etc).
    Does anyone know how I can check the pc to see if its the psu or anything else that's gone?

Also,I had 4 hdd,tv in card,350mb 8800gts,dvd burner working on a 550 psu. Was this too much of a load?

The pc cost me 1300 so I don't mind bringing it to a shop(in dublin preferably) if this will fix it.

Any help Much appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Can you hear any beeps on startup? if so the amount of beeps relates to the problem. Check with manufacturers support site (motherboard manufacturer if custom build) for what the beeps mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

ffocused wrote: »
    Can you hear any beeps on startup? if so the amount of beeps relates to the problem. Check with manufacturers support site (motherboard manufacturer if custom build) for what the beeps mean.

Hi, thanks for the reply. no there's no beeps. I cannot even get power to attempt to start up the pc, so I don't know whether its the psu or something else.
    Is there any way of testing to see if I have a dead psu or mobo?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Curlsz

Should try a different power cable or change the fuse, that happened me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Also,I had 4 hdd,tv in card,350mb 8800gts,dvd burner working on a 550 psu. Was this too much of a load?
    Unless you also have an overvolted quad core you're not mentioning, no. I'd guess it'd draw about 300W under load.

First things first, have you put in the new ram?

Unless you also have an overvolted quad core you're not mentioning, no. I'd guess it'd draw about 300W under load.

First things first, have you put in the new ram?

Hi,
    I put in the new Ram and it was picked up in the bios. However, when I attempted to start windows, it got to the loading screen (with the Win XP logo and the loading bar) but then it seemed to go to standby mode.

After several attempts, I decided to go back to 3gbs of Ram (in case the Xp limit was causing the problem).
    It was here that i decided to take out one of the hard drives as well.
    However, after doing this, the PC seems to be dead. There's no lights on the Mobo (which should be there if any power is getting through).

Since then, i've tested all of the Hdds (via a caddy)and they are all working.

Does anyone know how to test for a blown fuse r can you recommend a good shop that i could bring it to?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

its possible ya blew your motherboard......new boards dont cost much these days... that happened to me once... try get one better but that it will still accept your ram & cpu + enough slots for all your drives and pci pic/e cards. XP does not limit the amount of ram you can physically plug in but it has a memory addressing limit of 3.25gb (full range of 32bit addressing) the rest of the ram remains unused

its possible ya blew your motherboard......new boards dont cost much these days... that happened to me once... try get one better but that it will still accept your ram & cpu + enough slots for all your drives and pci pic/e cards. XP does not limit the amount of ram you can physically plug in but it has a memory addressing limit of 3.25gb (full range of 32bit addressing) the rest of the ram remains unused

Hi
    The Mobo I have is : http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335512

Its a good mobo and only 8 months old. Before I replace it, is there any way i can test the PSU or fuses to see if these can be fixed rather than replacing the Mobo and finding out that this is not the cause.
    Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

try your psu out in another pc also your mobo should still be in warranty something worth noting

have you tried a cmos reset?

remove the battery for at least 5 mins and unplug the psu from the wall

or if you know how to jumper the cmos reset then try that....

is your all ram the same? (2gb old ram identicle to 2gb new ram?)

if your old ram has different default timings to your new ram this can cause problems on some motherboards. if ya do get it to boot to cmos try set the timings of your old ram to the default of your new ram then install your new ram and try that

Just to let you know, I took out the Tv In (pci) card, and hey presto, power was restored!!! :)
    Still can't figure out why none of the power lights on the mobo never came on until i removed the PCI card.

Anyway, cheers for all of the advice and info!!
    ;-)

Advertisement