Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 20MB broadband... but my download speed is 948kb/s (speedtest.net) :-/

• 18-08-2008 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I'm on NTL 20mb broadband since two weeks ago. I did a speedtest once and it came to 16mb/s. A few days later, 1.5mb/s. Today, 948kb/s :confused::confused::confused:

310728794.png

Anything I can do to fix this??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I have the same problem - upgraded to 12MB about 3 weeks ago, its been like a dog since.

540ms pings
    340KB/ps download speed

NTL are a joke when it comes to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

eskimo wrote: »
    I'm on NTL 20mb broadband since two weeks ago. I did a speedtest once and it came to 16mb/s. A few days later, 1.5mb/s. Today, 948kb/s :confused::confused::confused:

310728794.png

I'm presuming you have rang them already? What did they say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

eskimo wrote: »

310728794.png

How are you connected? Modem directly or wireles Router?

You should do the test while connected directly to the NTL Modem, that way you can see if the problem is on their side or your config, after you can do the same test via the router and compare.

I have similar problem, directly to the NTL modem I get just under 10mb but via the router is about 7mb, I'm on the 10MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I am on the 10 mb line and these are my results today:

311121647.png

10 days ago I was getting consistent results as follows:

309758912.png

I did notice that the ping times were rubbish since the 6mb to 10mb upgrade, but no other complaints. Nothing has changed btw, am still using the same setup/configuration.

:confused: :mad:

IsThatSo?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'm on the 20Mb package which has been great up to yesterday or so when I noticed the speed had dropped a lot. I'm in D15. I work from home and noticed my connection to the servers in work seemed a bit sluggish compared to usual. Had been getting consistent down speeds of 17 to 19Mb on the speed tests, yesterday and today I'm up around 3Mb. Upload seems unaffected at 1.5Mb.

Looks like a fairly widespread problem. Haven't rang them yet, will if it continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    I am on the 10 mb line and these are my results today:

311121647.png

10 days ago I was getting consistent results as follows:

309758912.png

I did notice that the ping times were rubbish since the 6mb to 10mb upgrade, but no other complaints. Nothing has changed btw, am still using the same setup/configuration.

:confused: :mad:

IsThatSo?

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm on the 10meg package, and I get 10meg during the day, but in the evening (even around 10pm) I only get 3meg. Not good enough - if I wanted 3meg I wouldnt be paying for 10meg, and this has been consistently like this all week. Will be calling them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 netstorm

i am on the 20 mb package
    for the past week connection is very bad it was actually down completely for 2 days rang helpdesk they said its probally modem and will send engineer out, the day before engineer came out got connection back so cancelled call out, the next night it went down again sometimes it comes back for a short time though very slow at 1 stage was worse than dial up got a engineer coming on thursday and this time not cancelling even though connection seems stable enough this morning

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Seems to be back to normal here this morning:

311338553.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your def wired upto the router then?
    Your not using a wireless connection to connect to NTL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Yes this was when wired to the router directly.

I'm in D15 too.

Today it's gone back up to 14mb/s so all seems to be fixed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Looking at the speedtest screenshots in this post is comforting. Everyone has really crap pings. A ping of around 70ms to a dublin server is atrocious. I just signed up to UPC recently and am very disappointed with the pings I'm getting in D15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm also experiencing a download slowdown (albeit wireless). The thing is my upload speed is fine but this is pretty crap for a 20mb connection. Mind you I have downloaded more than 130GB in the last month. I don't think I've downloaded that much before in a whole year.

312114418.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

I haven't upgraded so still on their old 1MB pack. This is what I get. Been consistently around this for ages.

312248272.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

At least your all getting connected... I signed up 3 weeks ago.. It worked for 4 days and has been down ever since.. On the phone to them now(on hold as usual)... I've had 6 engineers out, the first turned the modem on and off and said that it was working again. The 2nd made a mistake and thought the road was wired wrong so they had to send out the company they contracted to re-wire the road.. They came out n said it was fine.. Another engineer came out and spotted that the other one had made a mistake and sorted it... He got the connection working again, that lasted all of 20 mins... Have had 4 engineers out this week and still nothing...

NTL haven't changed... I've had massive problems with them in the past, had to involve a solicitor to get them to provide the service I was paying for... I thought they might have changed but they're are still a shocking discrace.

Some of the staff are great and some of them are just plain terrible... I had one girl hang up on me, one engineer refused to go up to the attic(its converted), the same engineer made my GFs mam ring me instead of using his own phone. Engineers not turning up when they're supposed to.. Only 1 of the 6 have rang when they where on route(they're all meant to do this)....

The good staff, my account seems to have been to assigned to the one guy in tech support.. Which is a great idea as it saves me repeating myself.. He's sound and tries his best to get things done. The only problem is the other monkies that are working with him are making his job harder...

If it aint working again by next week i'm getting it takin out and I'm sure I'll have great fun explaining to them that they ain't getting a penny off me...

The best bit is... And I love this. Everytime I ring, before I get transfered to tech, they ask me if I'd be interested in their phone or TV packages... After explaining to one(indian) guy that the broadband was crap, why the hell would I want phone or TV he explained to me that they are better packages than the broadband and always work... Genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Marty DiBergi

unklerosco wrote: »
    At least your all getting connected... I signed up 3 weeks ago.. It worked for 4 days and has been down ever since.. On the phone to them now(on hold as usual)... I've had 6 engineers out, the first turned the modem on and off and said that it was working again. The 2nd made a mistake and thought the road was wired wrong so they had to send out the company they contracted to re-wire the road.. They came out n said it was fine.. Another engineer came out and spotted that the other one had made a mistake and sorted it... He got the connection working again, that lasted all of 20 mins... Have had 4 engineers out this week and still nothing...

NTL haven't changed... I've had massive problems with them in the past, had to involve a solicitor to get them to provide the service I was paying for... I thought they might have changed but they're are still a shocking discrace.

Some of the staff are great and some of them are just plain terrible... I had one girl hang up on me, one engineer refused to go up to the attic(its converted), the same engineer made my GFs mam ring me instead of using his own phone. Engineers not turning up when they're supposed to.. Only 1 of the 6 have rang when they where on route(they're all meant to do this)....

The good staff, my account seems to have been to assigned to the one guy in tech support.. Which is a great idea as it saves me repeating myself.. He's sound and tries his best to get things done. The only problem is the other monkies that are working with him are making his job harder...

If it aint working again by next week i'm getting it takin out and I'm sure I'll have great fun explaining to them that they ain't getting a penny off me...

The best bit is... And I love this. Everytime I ring, before I get transfered to tech, they ask me if I'd be interested in their phone or TV packages... After explaining to one(indian) guy that the broadband was crap, why the hell would I want phone or TV he explained to me that they are better packages than the broadband and always work... Genius

Interesting information unklerosco. Chorus-NTL have been constantly ringing me to change over to their Broadband service. I am with Eircom and have been thinking of changing. A guy called to the door and insisted that the company's service was vastly improved. I had mentioned to him previous experiences that mates had with their service. (Girl on reception-"Have you tried rebooting the PC" was the standard technical support). They seem aggressive with the sales pitch and passive with the support. Talking the talk.

Interesting information unklerosco. Chorus-NTL have been constantly ringing me to change over to their Broadband service. I am with Eircom and have been thinking of changing. A guy called to the door and insisted that the company's service was vastly improved. I had mentioned to him previous experiences that mates had with their service. (Girl on reception-"Have you tried rebooting the PC" was the standard technical support). They seem aggressive with the sales pitch and passive with the support. Talking the talk.

Well, after I wrote all that tech support said they'd ring me back... Got a call from a girl about 20 mins later.. She new exactly what she was talking about and said that the problem would be sorted that day..

Guy came out over lunch and replace the cabling outside the house... I called in on the way to a job to test it out and it was still down, same girl rang while I was there and said she'd have a tech ring me to arrange calling out ltr that day. He rang me 5 mins later, organised to call out around 4.30...

Got off work early, went back to the house... Engineer turned up before 5. He got to work on the modem n got it working. Said the signal still wasn't the best but it would work. He hung around while I set up a load of downloads n torrents to make sure it was stable n it was.. He suggested replacing the cable in the attic, he was willing to do it there n then but it was nearing 6 at this stage and I said it could wait till next week n he could head off.. He went outside to check that the work that was done earlier was up to scratch and notice that there was a cable running down to the front of the house... He followed it and found a fairly new box under a table in the front room. He did a test on it and said it was perfect and to stick the modem down there... We did that, been getting my full 20mbps speed. Downloads are flying, some where hitting 2.2-2.5mb last night. He gave me his mobile number and said if I had any more probs to give him a call on that n he'd come sort it out... Really Really nice guy...

He'd been telling me that one of the managers was doing some spot checks in customer service and had seen my account... He said he was going mad at them for not getting it sorted sooner, few people got the heads eaten off them.

So for now i'm glad I gave them a chance... I only hope I wont be back here in a weeks time eating my own words. But I do feel that if they can sort out their customer service and their network they'll be doing great. They've a heck of a bad name to overcome... I'm the only person on the road that has NTL, everyone else switched to sky because of the crap service... Its gonna be a while before that'll change...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

anyone doin speedtests, pick a server in the netherlands and it will give the proper speeds, i dunno y it is but its that way for me, and when i'm downloadin a file from heanet or anywhere i get 1.8-2.5mb p/s

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

Hi,

i have NTL 20MB upgrade recently. My test speed is 19MB is connecte wired to the router or modem. If I go wireless then it drops to 10MB

I use the netgear (1antenna) router that came with the ntl contract. I also have linksys (2antena). gets better results then netgear.

I might be wrong but I believe the 20mb contract we have is shared with 24 up 48 other users. I notice that I have a trend for low speed. Weekends, mainly sundays and wendsday in my area is just crazy.

Apart from this i also tryed to change the modem for a more modern but this just seemed to affect the range of my wireless and not the connection speed.

Did anyone managed to do anything to overcome the situation with the wireless lost of speed?

Regards,
    root69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Move you computer closer to the Router or hard wire it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm happy as larry at the moment with my connection. For a few months after upgrading to the 20MB package I was getting dreadful speeds but it seems to have stabilised.

2893920902_ce832ba75c_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Flying this morning in D15. Surprised...but not complaining. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

I'm on 20mb package and speeds are sh1t for the last few days. Just went to download.com there a few minutes ago and picked a large file at random to download (Fifa 09 demo, 1GB in size) and I'm getting 14 - 22kb/sec!!!! ARGH!! Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Shigsy wrote: »
    I'm on 20mb package and speeds are sh1t for the last few days. Just went to download.com there a few minutes ago and picked a large file at random to download (Fifa 09 demo, 1GB in size) and I'm getting 14 - 22kb/sec!!!! ARGH!! Anyone else?

Alot of it can depend on where you download your files from and at what time.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

Try downloading from the above and see what speeds you get. For example, late last night I was downloading from the above and getting 1.5Mbps, whereas I just tried it now and I'm getting 200Kb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I'm currently getting about 20Kb/sec on a download from HEAnet - 2% of my 10Meg service! :(

Tried it on my laptop over wireless and also on my PC (wired). No discernable difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Last night my speeds dropped to under 54Kb/s on my "20Mb/s" connection - couldn't even get HTTP pages to work - had to wait 3 minutes+ for the boards.ie frontpage to load. Thanks to the recent "upgrades", I now have dialup again but paying for "superfast" broadband... right. I think this is the last straw and even though I've been happy with UPC up to very recently, it's time to cancel...

Here are my results. Still I think just because im wireless im loosing alot.. i also try to change modem and the signal improved.. strange??

untitled.JPG

Alot of it can depend on where you download your files from and at what time.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

Try downloading from the above and see what speeds you get. For example, late last night I was downloading from the above and getting 1.5Mbps, whereas I just tried it now and I'm getting 200Kb.

My speed has been pretty good since I got it sorted... Over wireless, and I'm a good bit away from the router, I was getting an ave of 1.8-2Mbps from that link. Dipped to 1.5 for about at 2 secs but peaked at 2.4 for a good 10-15secs...

unklerosco wrote: »
    My speed has been pretty good since I got it sorted... Over wireless, and I'm a good bit away from the router, I was getting an ave of 1.8-2Mbps from that link. Dipped to 1.5 for about at 2 secs but peaked at 2.4 for a good 10-15secs...

How did you got it sorted??
    This is what I get when Wireless
    331019113.png

kazzer wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm on the 10meg package, and I get 10meg during the day, but in the evening (even around 10pm) I only get 3meg. Not good enough - if I wanted 3meg I wouldnt be paying for 10meg, and this has been consistently like this all week. Will be calling them tomorrow.

Did you manage to get any help from the customer support?? Or they told you to try later in another day, because they were gettinf some kind of problem?

rgds

• Advertisement

root69 wrote: »
    How did you got it sorted??
    This is what I get when Wireless
    331019113.png

331029119.png

Thats what I get on a 20mb line...

To get it sorted, u gotta ring em.. Go off the wall but be nice at the same time. It took me two weeks of having very patchy broadband to get it sorted, was a cableing problem in the house. Fixed that and its been fairly stable ever since.... Does take a good while to get customer service to pay attention to u tho. In the end the engineer just gave me his mobile number and told me to ring him direct n he'd sort it...

Advertisement