Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 20MB broadband... but my download speed is 948kb/s (speedtest.net) :-/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

BendiBus wrote: »
    I'm currently getting about 20Kb/sec on a download from HEAnet - 2% of my 10Meg service! :(

All OK again this evening :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

i'm getting full speed from any speed tester but cannot get more than 65k from my private torrent sites.

Are NTL caping torrents????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

shanemort wrote: »
    i'm getting full speed from any speed tester but cannot get more than 65k from my private torrent sites.

There was a huge thread "stuck" at the top of this forum, but I don't see it to give you the link. Its around though, try a search of the forum.

In a word YES, it is the general consensus that they are throttling.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

root69 wrote: »
    Did you manage to get any help from the customer support?? Or they told you to try later in another day, because they were gettinf some kind of problem?

rgds

Hi all, Those are my results do you think it normal???

Wireless
    331620806.png

Wired to the router
    331621529.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I have a friend working i Chorus, and YES they are throttling torrents. But he only found that out from senior management. When I asked him first he had no idea they where, until he asked his boss.
    With private trackers you should be able to get about 300kbps on a 20meg connection. Not 2.5mb/ps but still better than nothing. Should still be able to get full speed on Rapidshare links, thats if your speeds are ok. My 20meg is only running at up to 6meg if I'm lucky.

• Advertisement

unklerosco wrote: »
    331029119.png

Thats what I get on a 20mb line...

To get it sorted, u gotta ring em.. Go off the wall but be nice at the same time. It took me two weeks of having very patchy broadband to get it sorted, was a cableing problem in the house. Fixed that and its been fairly stable ever since.... Does take a good while to get customer service to pay attention to u tho. In the end the engineer just gave me his mobile number and told me to ring him direct n he'd sort it...

Alight.. Thanks alot for feedback..
    My problem is slightly diferent has my speed problems are only on my PC, wireless.. if I go wired it works fine.

Thanks
    Root69

Hi, as far as I know there is not problem with the torrents... If im wired it works fine for me.. just remeber to get good torrents.. alot of seeds are needed..

root69 wrote: »
    Hi, as far as I know there is not problem with the torrents... If im wired it works fine for me.. just remeber to get good torrents.. alot of seeds are needed..

Confilicting storys......

i've great private tracker sites i use and have allways had top speeds but in the last week my torrents are running very slow........

But Root you say your ok? My setup is currently using wireless, i'm going to try wired setup and see if that makes any differance....

Anyone else out there having slow speeds on NTl 20MB for torrents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

i've great private tracker sites i use and have allways had top speeds but in the last week my torrents are running very slow........

But Root you say your ok? My setup is currently using wireless, i'm going to try wired setup and see if that makes any differance....

Yep... It seems to depend on what I'm downloading tho. Last night it was about 30kbps, during the eve it was about 200kbps. I've had much much much faster tho, its weird... Sometimes it flys sometimes it doesn't..

As for problems with speed over wireless, I'm using a pc with a PCI wireless card. I get much faster speeds than the GFs laptop and her iMac, its useless... It constantly drops the NTL connection and picks up the neighbours eircom connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

I use NTL 10mb and get disastrous torrent speed lately

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I still get over the 1mb from my 10meg connection on my private tracker site.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I still get over the 1mb from my 10meg connection on my private tracker site.

Whats your setup, are you using the NTl wireless Router? or wired?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Whats your setup, are you using the NTl wireless Router? or wired?

I am wired from a Linksys wireless router running third party firmware on it.

Hi, yes at least the torrents i used never had problem.. not that I use torrents alot.. but the times i used didnt had problems...:/

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I am wired from a Linksys wireless router running third party firmware on it.

using a router might be the way around it, are there any other people using routers with NTL and getting full speeds from torrent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Since I got upgraded to the 10Mb service I've never got speeds of over 6Mb, I was in contact with customer support who said I was definitely on the 10Mb package. I can pretty much always get 500-600kBs as I could before the upgrade so it looks like I'm still on the 6Mb package. I've connected directly to the modem which was only recently replace by UPC.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

masterK wrote: »
    Since I got upgraded to the 10Mb service I've never got speeds of over 6Mb, I was in contact with customer support who said I was definitely on the 10Mb package. I can pretty much always get 500-600kBs as I could before the upgrade so it looks like I'm still on the 6Mb package. I've connected directly to the modem which was only recently replace by UPC.

Any ideas?

Are you connected directly to the modem or do you have a router? Try the test connected to the modem, in my case with router I get the same result as you about 7mb but connected to router I get about 10mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 calmoo

Why are UPC throttling me? I'm getting 15kb/s max on a torrent. I got NAT OK aswell. Is there any way around throttling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

No offence people but your wireless routers must be quite crap!While i was in the UK i was on virgin 20mb connection,Via wireless i would get 14-16mb and wired 19-20mb,that was on 1 bar of signal using a belkin wireless G+ pcmcia card and a netgear rangemax router...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Yep, when my connection is working properly I get close to 19Mbps over WiFi - I have an Apple Airport Extreme router and one of the old NTL cable modems. Of course the problem is that these days, anything close to the full 20Mbps speed is very rare...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 calmoo

Is anyone getting throttled on torrents? I'm getting 15kb/s on a 1000 seeder 100 leecher torrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

calmoo wrote: »
    Is anyone getting throttled on torrents? I'm getting 15kb/s on a 1000 seeder 100 leecher torrent.

If you take a look through this thread and many others on UPC, you'll find that there seem to be conflicting reports - up to 2 weeks ago, I was maxing out my connection at 2.2Mb on private trackers. Now, most torrents can't reach above 200Kbps on a single torrent, with the max (if I start a few together) being 400Kbps total, way down from what it was. Others here have been reporting much worse speeds than that, yet others have no problems. To make things even more confusing, I can't say if my lower torrent speeds have anything to do with throttling, because I am having speed problems with everything, HTTP, FTP, etc most of the time.

I emailed UPC on Tuesday to complain about the problems and informing them that I will dump them if this continues, but no surprise, no answer as of yet (though usually it takes them 4-5 working days or more to respond to an email).

masterK wrote: »

Any ideas?

Make sure your connecting through the Ethernet port as if your using the USB port even on a 10mb line youl get 6mb max as USB cant handle higher then that!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrooqie

J-blk wrote: »
    If you take a look through this thread and many others on UPC, you'll find that there seem to be conflicting reports - up to 2 weeks ago, I was maxing out my connection at 2.2Mb on private trackers. Now, most torrents can't reach above 200Kbps on a single torrent, with the max (if I start a few together) being 400Kbps total, way down from what it was. Others here have been reporting much worse speeds than that, yet others have no problems. To make things even more confusing, I can't say if my lower torrent speeds have anything to do with throttling, because I am having speed problems with everything, HTTP, FTP, etc most of the time.

I emailed UPC on Tuesday to complain about the problems and informing them that I will dump them if this continues, but no surprise, no answer as of yet (though usually it takes them 4-5 working days or more to respond to an email).

Few things here i want to say

1.) HTTP
    I must use FlashGet all the time to get good speed. For exaple apple.com/trailers
    - Quicktime player directly from the site - ~300KB - must waint ages until u can open it
    - FlashGet 10 channels 2650 KB/s - 110 mb done in less than 2 mins
    Ok i know how to get around that but what about ordinary people who want to watch these nice trailers and not only trailers. I must use Flashget on each website where i can copy links from!

2.) torrent
    Private site - never can get higher than 900-1000KB/s no matter what i try - diff ports, diff encrypting methods (utorrent 1.8) no way to get higher than 10mbps

Are any one of you guys knows any way to get torrents up to full speed they offer:?

Cheers

Edit:
    To proof how much lovely NTL cuts torrents please see below: 1 - my 20 meg NTL , 2 - remote desktop to a server in other EU country with 12meg cable broadband
    Same private tracker, same torrent, same time,same settings

1ntl

BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

The-Game wrote: »
    Make sure your connecting through the Ethernet port as if your using the USB port even on a 10mb line youl get 6mb max as USB cant handle higher then that!

It's definitely connected directly through the Ethernet port.

They are throttling torrents. Doesn't matter what you do you won't get good speeds, until someone works out a new encryption method. Or use a remote server which you'll have to pay for. And if you do that you might as well get a rapidshare account.

The main problem with UPC is they advertise 20meg but luck to get even 10meg. Not that 10meg is slow, but why should I have to pay for half the service I'm getting billed for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

ROC1977 wrote: »
    They are throttling torrents. Doesn't matter what you do you won't get good speeds, until someone works out a new encryption method. Or use a remote server which you'll have to pay for. And if you do that you might as well get a rapidshare account.

The main problem with UPC is they advertise 20meg but luck to get even 10meg. Not that 10meg is slow, but why should I have to pay for half the service I'm getting billed for.

Well Rapidshare ain't working for me.
    I've had a paid account for a good while now, always worked a treat, then stopped working about 2 weeks ago.
    I get 0kb/s!!!
    Initially it would connect, get full speed, and within a minute the log would say, disconnected from server, then again and again until it completely stops.
    They are somehow also blocking RS.
    I presume it wouldn't be hard, all they'd need is a RS account and get the IP of each of their servers then block them..........I would assume that's how it works anyway? (my knowledge of networking is limited obviously :) )

Are you using wireless by any chance. I'm having no problem with an ethernet connection with rapidshare. They can't really go and block rapidshare as can be used for legit downloads. I often upload photos and home videos for my sister to download in the uk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ricky91t wrote: »
    No offence people but your wireless routers must be quite crap!While i was in the UK i was on virgin 20mb connection,Via wireless i would get 14-16mb and wired 19-20mb,that was on 1 bar of signal using a belkin wireless G+ pcmcia card and a netgear rangemax router...
    I'm pretty sure the rangemax and belkin g+ offer speeds of upto 125Mbps where as a standard g router offers speeds of upto 54Mbps. Now these are theoretical maximum so in reality you'll never get these speeds but the fact you were using wireless technology that supports faster speeds is probably why you got full speed over wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Hi all,

I have a recomendation for all of ye using wireless...The Netgear 1 aerial router(as most seem to refer to it as) has a capacity for more than 20MB...Of course netgear aint the best router on the market but u should not be seeing below 6MB on your wireless...
    I had the same issue as ye with my wireless and after alot of research i came across this program that u can download onto your computer called a TCP Optimiser...I downloaded this and ran it...Now i am getting 18 to 19MB...Now i gave this link to a mate of mine and her tried it and had no luck with it but i was happy enough...I dont have time to search for the link on this but if u google TCP Optimiser you should find no problem...As far as i am aware the issue is cause by the TCP setting on your network card and this program will optimise it for you...No harm caused by trying this...

Hope this helps...

Advertisement