Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 20MB broadband... but my download speed is 948kb/s (speedtest.net) :-/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Are you using wireless by any chance. I'm having no problem with an ethernet connection with rapidshare. They can't really go and block rapidshare as can be used for legit downloads. I often upload photos and home videos for my sister to download in the uk.

Both are the same unfortunately (in Dublin 9 for reference)
    As soon as I came to work this evening and picked up the office wireless, it started downloading. They're definitely doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

Absloutely dreadful in D15 tonight, 80kbps download 1246kbps upload, totally nuts, connection keeps cutting in and out, huge packet loss as well, performance really has been crap the last couple of weeks, looks like they have too many subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

I think is very often that alot of people complains abour the NTl speed.. I think if you look at it over the all month do you get 20Mb in the majority of the days?

i mean, I think we all know that its 20MB/24 or 48 but sometimes it gets really weird scores.. very low..
    Is anything we can do about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a recomendation for all of ye using wireless...The Netgear 1 aerial router(as most seem to refer to it as) has a capacity for more than 20MB...Of course netgear aint the best router on the market but u should not be seeing below 6MB on your wireless...
    I had the same issue as ye with my wireless and after alot of research i came across this program that u can download onto your computer called a TCP Optimiser...I downloaded this and ran it...Now i am getting 18 to 19MB...Now i gave this link to a mate of mine and her tried it and had no luck with it but i was happy enough...I dont have time to search for the link on this but if u google TCP Optimiser you should find no problem...As far as i am aware the issue is cause by the TCP setting on your network card and this program will optimise it for you...No harm caused by trying this...

Hope this helps...

Used this and now im getting a solid 19Mb all over my house on wireless... Thanks Sudsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

TCP optimiser is for windows XP. Vista should auto adjust TCP. But you can still run it. But you'll find on Vista it changed very little.

Heres a good one for ya. Myself and a Friend live on the same street, with the same PC an the same 20meg line. I get dl's of 950-1000kbps and he's getting 2300kbps from the same rapidshare files???

Another thing I've heard from sources in UPC/Chorus that they are going to give up on the torrent throttling due to 1000's of complaints to them, people are saying they are changing to a different provider. So it looks like they are starting to cop on. So hopefully we'll see a change sooner rather than later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 mrooqie

I WANT TO BELIEVE IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 upthecake

ROC1977....you are in dreamland if you think they will give it up as there is not thousands complaining i hear on the grapevine...

Looking throught the threads on here there is a variety of issue's from games to P2P, if they took their shaping off their network would fall over..
    I'm afraid i've said this before but its always a few who spoil it for the rest.

I have a 20mb UPB BB and my P2P speeds are fine depending on what kind of BW the users on the far end have... Some Torrents are relatvely slow and some are really good at 300-1000 kbtis which shows the speeds are there but the BW is not on a lot of torrents, i see people are saying they would dump the service but where else will i get a better service / Dl speed as i'm not aware of any other provider outside dublin :-)
    Please tell me if you know... If the abusers dump the service maybe just maybe us USERS will get the speeds back and the ABUSERS can frig off elsewhere... I've been folowing the threads now for sosme time and did a bit of research on other ISP's in europe and thet have all mentioned that 5% of the subscriber base takes the piss and ruins it for the rest...

Is this the trend appearing here ????

lol So your a USER and the rest of US are ABUSERS. Because when you use torrents its ok? haha
    So define the difference because to me, theres no difference between me and you.
    And by the way 1000kbps is a **** speed on a 20meg line.
    And Smart have 24meg outside of Dublin.
    70% of internet traffic is p2p based. And there are plenty of legal reasons people use torrents. BBC Iplayer, 4OD, Sky on demand, and IPTV just to name a few.
    If I want to download 100gig a month I will and if UPC have a problem with it they should have set a monthly download cap. Torrents aside UPC service has yet to preform to the 20meg service they advertise.

And I was only posting what I've heard from friends in IT in UPC about the torrent throttling. Not that I said it WAS going to happen. You posting info and hear say. You know that what forums are about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

upthecake wrote: »
    Some Torrents are relatvely slow and some are really good at 300-1000 kbtis which shows the speeds are there but the BW is not on a lot of torrents, i see people are saying they would dump the service but where else will i get a better service / Dl speed as i'm not aware of any other provider outside dublin :-)

Please tell me if you know... If the abusers dump the service maybe just maybe us USERS will get the speeds back and the ABUSERS can frig off elsewhere... I've been folowing the threads now for sosme time and did a bit of research on other ISP's in europe and thet have all mentioned that 5% of the subscriber base takes the piss and ruins it for the rest...

On a 20Mbps connection, a good torrent can reach 2.2MB down - 300Kbps is a joke. If you look at most of the threads here, people are not only complaining about torrent speeds - since the latest batch of "upgrades", people (myself included) have had terrible overall speeds (even browsing), high pings, random downtime, etc.

And all this crap about "abusers" is nonsense - there are a number of providers around Europe that provide truly unlimited broadband without such problems. If UPC has so many problems with "abusers", they should not have offered a higher speed/no cap product compared to their previous offerings. The problem here is that they are overselling their own network and don't have the capacity for it - that's their problem to sort out, not ours.

Guys you talking rubbish.... The Abusers is fact as the studies are out there...

BBC i player etc all use P2P for sure but this is unavailable outside so how or why you bring this into conversation is STUPID. Ridiculous argument...

I don't see any complaints about the LEGAL sh*t its all about the illegal sh*t i see on here..... Count how many REAL complaints on on these threads and you will see its a tiny amount as per usual... ALL ABUSERS FOR SURE I BET... Real service issue's are real service issue's but my speeds have burst above 300kbits last night and today so i don't see the issue with Throttling.. even the moderator on here is above 1000k so maybe you have a service issue and not a Throttling issue ??

Some people just don't have a clue i have to say !!

Thats my twopence anyhows.

• Advertisement

Guys you talking rubbish.... The Abusers is fact as the studies are out there...

Really? What studies are those? Stop reporting rumors and hearsay as fact.
    Real service issue's are real service issue's but my speeds have burst above 300kbits last night and today so i don't see the issue with Throttling.. even the moderator on here is above 1000k so maybe you have a service issue and not a Throttling issue ??

Like I said, 300Kbps and even 1000Kbps on a 20Mbps connection is still less than half your maximum attainable speed. I already mentioned above that I have service issues overall and that's my main issue with UPC's latest upgrades, not torrent speeds. I am getting nowhere near the service I am paying for with crap speeds and downtime.
    Some people just don't have a clue i have to say !!

You do realize this is public forum and people are entitled to different opinions right? Just because I don't agree with you, doesn't mean I don't have a clue. If you are so happy with your connection then great, but don't come here to tell everyone else that they talking b******t because they are not happy with shoddy service.

Hey Mate,

Don't be so paranoid it wasn't
    pointed at you ???

My comments whether you like them or not are
    FACT... go look in google for ISP reports on P2P and
    don't be so lazy calling what i say RUMOUR.
    I've read these online so know exa
    ctly what i'm mentioning. Just because you don't have a clue means the rest of us don't .....

Get informed my paranoid friend... Now getting back to P2P...
    Does anyone get above 1000k on any other provider as i'd like to know... I have seen 2
    Mbit 3 weeks ago on UPC but not since then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Prepare for another speed drop, we just signed up for the 20mb package, also in D15. Wishing I'd read this thread before ordering it now :pac:

My comments whether you like them or not are
    FACT... go look in google for ISP reports on P2P and
    don't be so lazy calling what i say RUMOUR.
    I've read these online so know exa
    ctly what i'm mentioning. Just because you don't have a clue means the rest of us don't .....

Get informed my paranoid friend...

Once again, you're not backing anything up - I don't need to google so-called "reports" that have no factual backup, yet you like to claim they are and can't be bothered to back them up either. And yet again, you are becoming insulting, that I don't have a clue and I'm paranoid...

You know what? I don't give a flying f**k about your opinion either, just as you don't about mine or anybody's who doesn't agree with you.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

My torrent speeds are back up to 1.1mb today. My speeds had dropped off to 200/300kbps over the past few days, however I just pulled a a 360mb file down in less than 6 mins
    torrents-1.jpg

Looks like talking out of my arse is proving to be true maybe the torrent throttling is being stopped. Who knows? Anyone elses speeds up today.
    20meg line is still only giving me 10meg on speed test. I wonder if UPC have me on a 10meg package by mistake. I'll ring again tomorrow. . Haven't tried torrents, I'll try tonight when I get home. If I get 1mb on torrents tonight then all I need to do is sort my over all package speed.

No point listening to upthecake every post he makes is negative. He's read a few blogs on the internet, now he's an expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

20meg line is still only giving me 10meg on speed test. I wonder if UPC have me on a 10meg package by mistake.

Log into ur wireless router or modem n check... I remember Eircom gave me a 1meg line instead of a 2 meg... Took me ages to figure out why my speeds where so crap...

20meg line is still only giving me 10meg on speed test. I wonder if UPC have me on a 10meg package by mistake.

Which speed test are you using? I find the Magnet one to be a bit more reliable:

http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

However, right now, it gives me 8Mbps down, which is not surprising, since we're going into peak times (lately it always gets worse moving closer to 18:00) but if I try the test early morning/late night, I get 19Mbps quite often. Maybe try it first thing in the morning?

I'm currently seeing about 1.3MB down on a well seeded torrent, a massive improvement from the 300-400Kbps I've had for at least two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrooqie

all right
    magnet speed test

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 7482 kbps (935.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1367 kbps (170.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Sandyford 19:30
    same for the last week
    never seen more than 10 megs in the evenings

but this was just a speed test
    the real is much worse:

2,790,495 144.90K/s ETA 9:19:10
    unacceptable!

try it guys
    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r4a/i386/iso-dvd/debian-40r4a-i386-DVD-1.iso

this is very fast server http

Hey Mr ROC here's a little treat for you as you seem to know NISH about
    anything got to do with BB ...

Step by Step here as you need some training.

Log directly into your Modem via 192.168.100.1 (could be another address so please check online before you spout some other rubbish)

Look at the "Modem Status" and you should see cm_ultra.bin as i'm on a 20mb and this is my config file.... (by the way this is also found online in case you doubt me)

If you don't have a Scientific Atlanta the same can be found on the Motorola Cable Modem's ..Cisco Cable Modem's... Ambit Cable Modems ...
    Arris etc etc etc etc ... Ha ha ha ha ...

You should try Google its a great tool ... TOOL get it !!

Only joking :-)

If you service is bad you can also get a Docsis TOOL to examine your cable modem RF network which can be installed on your PC ..

Happy Googling !!

• Advertisement

J-blk wrote: »
    Once again, you're not backing anything up - I don't need to google so-called "reports" that have no factual backup, yet you like to claim they are and can't be bothered to back them up either. And yet again, you are becoming insulting, that I don't have a clue and I'm paranoid...

You know what? I don't give a flying f**k about your opinion either, just as you don't about mine or anybody's who doesn't agree with you.

J-blk are you on the man rag or what... serious attitude issue's there my friend...

Do you honestly think i'm going to add ISP studies to this thread ??
    I wouldn't put the peeps on this forum through it :-)

I don't doubt you cake. Your quite right in what your saying about checking my modems page. I checked it last week, and it said I have the 20meg connection. To be honest my PC has been playing up past few weeks and probably needs a bit of attention. Everything seems to be running slow, not just the internet. Thinking about it, its been slow since I got it. But it was my first PC running on Vista so I didn't think too much about it.
    I mean UPC say I've 100% signal, I've the area booster on the wall of my house, I'm half thinking about re installing windows XP.
    I mean take this for an example. Transfered a avi 350mb to a USB key today via USB 2.0. Took 5mins 30secs. No thats taking the piss, 2.0 is meant to be 400mps isn't it.

I don't doubt you cake. Your quite right in what your saying about checking my modems page. I checked it last week, and it said I have the 20meg connection. To be honest my PC has been playing up past few weeks and probably needs a bit of attention. Everything seems to be running slow, not just the internet. Thinking about it, its been slow since I got it. But it was my first PC running on Vista so I didn't think too much about it.
    I mean UPC say I've 100% signal, I've the area booster on the wall of my house, I'm half thinking about re installing windows XP.
    I mean take this for an example. Transfered a avi 350mb to a USB key today via USB 2.0. Took 5mins 30secs. No thats taking the piss, 2.0 is meant to be 400mps isn't it.

Best thing to do is try a friends laptop,PC or mac, if this does not work install a dual partition in Vista and XP so you can boot between both and troubleshoot ... If 350mb took that long then sounds like you have an issue... i can do 900mb in that time or less on XP + USB 2.0 key ..
    That will be fun troubleshooting ... NOT ! Best to just wipe it i'd say :-)

I wouldn't put the peeps on this forum through it :-)

Yes, instead you put us through meaningless crap about the rest of us being abusers and cramping your style... Anyway, I really don't care what you have to say, you're the one that has no clue what their talking about. As for attitude problems, I'm not the one posting replies that people are lazy, stupid, etc...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Transfered a avi 350mb to a USB key today via USB 2.0. Took 5mins 30secs. No thats taking the piss, 2.0 is meant to be 400mps isn't it.

It also depends on the speed of the usb drive, some cheaper ones are very slow. Also the 400Mbps is max burst speed, it will never sustain speeds that high for very long if it hits them at all.

The usb key I have is fairly good one (i think) 8gb Amacom. God knows the model type. But works 10x faster on my notebook. I've tried updating drivers and tyred all 10 USB ports on my PC. Everytime I get a bubble bottom right saying "using USB port 2.0 will increase transfer speeds" or something along those lines. PC isn't even a year old so so a few of the ports have to be 2.0. I wonder if the is a hardware fault. Looks like I'll have to open the PC up tomorrow on my day off and have a look.

Upthecake i've tried my notebook connected to the modem and thats worse only 2meg on speedtest.net but upload still 1400kbps. Although my notebook is about 6 years old.
    I think I'll move all my stuff onto my D drive and format the C drive and reinstall windows. Still not sure which windows to use though. XP is way faster, but Vista i find is better when you have a 7 year old that uses the PC...
    Wait a minute... maybe my kids profile has a Virus or malware or something. Never thought of that. Anyway i'll have a bit of time to sort it over the next few day. Thanks all for your input. I'll let you know if I brick my PC or not!!! lol

Was just talking to one of the lads here in IT and he said simply move any data I want to keep onto my D drive and restart the PC and hit F8. That opens advance boot settings and then hit the Dell restore factory default image and it will reinstall Vista the way it was shipped . i.e reformats and reinstalls Vista. Which sounds nice and handy. I'll do that tonight, lets hope it sort out my internet and USB problems!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I'm getting ok speeds on speedtest.net, but it is totally impossible to play a game online, MSN signs out randomly throughout the day! Whats going on!! :mad:

336479660.png

Just tried to check my modem status online and the only screen I can look at is SYSTEM. All the others say not allowed view contact cable company???

• Advertisement

Which modem do you have? I have one of the much older NTL-branded ones, NTL 250 (which is essentially a rebadged Ambit U10C018) and when I connect to it via 192.168.100.1, all I get is very basic information until I use the "Login" link to enter the main administration options. I don't know what UPC are giving people these days, but do you have to enter a user name/password when connecting to it? Most modems/routers, etc require that before you can access most of the available information/options.

BTW, torrents this morning (at around 6:30) are all the way back up to 2.2MB download speeds, so I don't know what's going on regarding throttling, etc. As I mentioned before, up to yesterday, the speeds were peaking at 300-400Kbps for the last few weeks.

Advertisement