Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 20MB broadband... but my download speed is 948kb/s (speedtest.net) :-/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not going too well for me at the moment either.

427053665.png

427054266.png

it's peak times tho, so i'll try in the morning. working from home tomorrow anyway, so won't be putting up with much more of this if it's this bad off peak too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

UPC 20 Mb...i thought it would be great to move from my 8mb Smart connection (with no contention..just 8mb 24*7)

I am getting 6-7Mb in the evenings now and support just test everything and say it is fine....i think i will head back to smart..:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

In Dublin with 10MB, best result ever, connected via Wireless with couple of other wireless items connected at the same time.

427058390.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

427063950.png

I had problems with them . it was down to a connection getting wet outside the house. I got a free month and free conection by complaining by email.

As for torrent throttling.

They are not throttling torrents out here in Naas.
    I get a 1 meg a second on utorrent with plenty of seedbox peers. Thats exactly what I should be getting.

it's better now, at a quiet time of day, but far from perfect and only halfway to the 20mbps I'm paying for. :(

427242235.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's better now, at a quiet time of day, but far from perfect and only halfway to the 20mbps I'm paying for. :(

427242235.png

thats what I am getting now . I am on the 10m service

maybe you should downgrade.

heres mine at 10.23am

427302247.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

I checked my 20mb broadband at 6:30 am this morning and i was getting 18 mb now....i am assuming it is contention...if it doesnt improve i will have to beg smart for my phone line back....:mad:

gsxr1 wrote: »
    maybe you should downgrade.
    a few short weeks ago i was getting over 18mbps. i don't want to downgrade, i just want what i'm paying for. :(

here's the latest again tonight. it was actually down for an hour this afternoon between 3-4pm. i was hoping for an upgrade, but i guess not.

427709492.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

heres mine when i bypass my router428220929.png
    i guess im getting what i pay for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

well i got my 20mb today

heres my result

428461440.png

very happy from my previous 1mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm paying for 20mb and getting 6.5mb down.
    Has anyone downgraded because of this and seen their download speeds decrease further?

Edit: I received this txt this morning 'Good news!Chorus ntl has increased your broadband speed to 20mb.Unplug your modem from the power supply, plug it back in & youll have faster broadband. Thank you' (nice punctuation NTL)

...I'm already paying for 20MB (and have been getting 6.5mb download speeds), are they changing their packages (website is unchanged)?

So now this is my speedtest:

speeed.jpg

So overnight my speed has been doubled, it's still below what I'm paying for, and they have suggested that I wasn't on that package in the first place OR they are upgrading all their packages again...

Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

almanu wrote: »
    up graded from 3mb to 10mb last week ,started getting mad pings like this.
    424093925.png
    then after a day or so got these readings on the 10mb
    424117281.png
    needless to say i downgraded straight away back to 3mb as there was no change to my service,the pings went down straight away for some weird reason, there still stupidly high but nothing near as bad.oh btw i was charged 10 euros to downgrade,a bit cheeky i tought.i was free to upgrade.
    424682919.png
    I wouldn't be trusting speedtest.net to check your pings you would of been better off pinging boards or whatever using the command prompt. Speedtest sites vary so much it can also be very inaccurate for working out your speeds. Best way to check speed is download a large file off heanet and see the transfer rate.

@The-Rigger looks like they had you on the old 6Mb package before. They are upgrading all customers who are still on the old 3mb(now 10Mb) and 6mb (now 20Mb) who haven't already requested it. How long have you been with ntl/upc? If you have been with them, a good few years and never requested the upgrade this would explain why you were still on 6Mb. Are you connected over wireless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

429011877.png

I have a 10meg connection and some how i have this result. Magnet speed test has backed this up. I will enjoy while it lasts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Having a horrendous time with my 10mb line, I'm getting the correct speed but massive packet loss causing disconnects. Gave them a call yesterday and got a phone call this morning to say its fixed, it was grand up until 5pm and now back to bad packet loss again, anyone else in the Leixlip area having this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bit iffy for me tonight - unnoticeable until I go to download a large file which isn't too bad. UPC 20M.

429038071.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Wow what just happened this is my result maybe its the time of night or something

429838664.png

429839698.png

429840110.png

429840415.png

i'm opretty sure there's a glitch somewhere because (afaik) the maximum throughput on any one port/channel is 42mbps so even if you qwere given unrestricted speed for whatever reason (glitch on the back end etc.) it should still not be pysically possible for it to be faster than 42mbps.

you should try an ftp transfer of a linux iso from ftp://ftp.heanet.ie and see what speed that says.

or maybe try speedtest.magnet.ie for a comparison.

i'm not saying it's wrong, just that by rights it shouldn't be able to happen so maybe something else is going on with your conneciton.

of course, it might just be jealousy. :(

430011411.png

not good for 11:30am on a sunday morning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Just a quick question on this - how much will a wireless connection slow down the source? If you've got the 20mb line coming in the door but are connecting via a wireless router, what should you expect to get (and does it depend on the spec eg. b/g/n?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

flogen wrote: »
    Just a quick question on this - how much will a wireless connection slow down the source? If you've got the 20mb line coming in the door but are connecting via a wireless router, what should you expect to get (and does it depend on the spec eg. b/g/n?)

Depends completly how far you are from the router and will depend on whether your comp is stuffed full of stuff but distance is key i'm sitting about 20ft from my router tho only lost a few kb\s

flogen wrote: »
    802.11b = 11mbps max burst speed
    802.11g = 54mbps max burst speed
    802.11n = 300mbps max burst speed

if you're still using an 802.11b router, it is crippling your broadband speeds, no doubt about it.

a decent 802.11g (54mbps) router on the other hand (without any speed booster or other tech to increase the speed) should give you a sustained data transmission rate of up to about 30-35mbps with a good clear signal which is more than enough for your 20mbps broadband. the 54mbps figure is only a theoretical burst speed, not based on real world conditions.

with the various speedbooster techs from router manufacturers claiming to increase this by anything from 33% to 100% if you believe the hype.

802.11n routers claim speeds of 200-300mbps, although again, these are burst speeds and you can expect no more than about a 75mbps maximum sustained throughput.

BUT, if you're using the router than ntl sell/give away with their broadband, i've heard it's so brutal you might only manage 10-12mbps from what i've read on here and on various other forums such as broadbandreports, although i couldn't tell you since mine is still shrink wrapped on a bookshelf somewhere. if you're using that wirelessly, you might well find that it's the source of the speed bottleneck on your connection.

• Advertisement

I get about 17-18Mb max off the upc supplied netgear router.
    430357671.png

is that the same speed you get via a wired connection?

i guess they (netgear and/or ntl) have sorted out whatever was causing them to be so bad. possibly a firmware update or different hardware revision.

anyone want to buy mine? :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    is that the same speed you get via a wired connection?

i guess they (netgear and/or ntl) have sorted out whatever was causing them to be so bad. possibly a firmware update or different hardware revision.

anyone want to buy mine? :)
    I never actually tested it hard wired will give it a go later if I get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

very happy with this package

433579635.png

also using a download manager my downloads reach 25mb with rapidshare :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Well; since they upgraded me to 20Mbit my ping problems have been resolved; but I've never achieved a speed test of greater than 5Mbit. I haven't made much of an attempt to contact them yet though; will do so soon.

433605667.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JJB360

Long post, but my experiences!.
    Ive had 20mb since it first came out but from my experiences.

One problem when it was going slow, she said she would send a tech out, few hours after that phone call it was magically fixed, so canceled the tech

Another time same problem same results, I call, right away after the call its magically fixed to my 20 mb speed.

3 Month's ago I also had the problem where terrible downloads, uploads and constant disconnects. I called for ages, went onto a premium help line eventually this entire phone call cost me over 30 Euro as its a expensive line, but I spent most of this time on HOLD, eventually I got through to a ''professional'' she asked me to restart my computer and it would fix it, I am a very ignorant guy sometimes I admit, so I did withdrawl in a burst of laughter and said can I speak to a male please (yes I know its sexist of me sorry), she then started to raise her voice saying she has a degree in networking management etc, and I said I am not going to argue on a phone and this call is recorded you should also be careful lets just talk about my internet, she said is my pc old, I said no its a XPS dell laptop with latest and best gaming known gaming hardware, and no I am not using wireless as I am a competitive gamer after a hard days work, I am also the only person using the internet. so the conversation turned to me answering questions that she had not asked but I knew she would eventually so I just wanted to skip the corners, I told her I have speed tested on speedtest.net, she tried to over talk me very rudely (and yes I know i appear rude,but I also never raised my voice. And I am also the complainer customer, she is ment to be the polite calm manager) and tried to ask me to test on upc.nl/speedtest , but I had actually already did this and it was the same speeds, I took a screen shot and said I can email it to her, she declined, she asked me to reboot my modem, and I also have of course done this many times, I turn my modem off at 2AM untill I am back from work, anyways, after this talk she said that I should try reboot my modem one more time, I admit I lied and said I am rebooting it now, I never did so!, and my internet magically appeared as 20mb download speed again, she tried to say all it needed was a reboot.. I did not want to argue, I said thanks as I was happy!

The Next time, more recently, I got through to a delightful, absolutely lovely woman, I flirted with her a bit too and she was biting! woman maybe 30 year's old, she knew a lot too, lovely talk and I explained to her, she asked me for my number to call me back as the call is expensive, she called me back 10 minutes later and asked me could I test my internet now, I did so, and it was flawless, I was getting perfect uploads and downloads, I said a lot of thank you to her and asked her out for a drink as I am very confident in myself ha ha.. she declined due to shes not allowed, BUT I KNOW SHE WANTED TO!

last 2 weeks, going complete terrible again as you can see below, I will call again soon. with results!
    481956060.png

I get 16 meg down when I plug the ntl connection into the back of the PC, but always 9meg down when I go through my netgear router.

I was considering downgrading my 20meg package to 10 meg (as I thought I wasn't getting it), but if I do so, maybe I'll only be getting 5 meg through my router.

Anyone know why this is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JJB360

The-Rigger, do you know the make and model of your netgear router? is it the one they gave you? and yes having it plugged directly into your pc will be faster because the internet goes direction from A to B, router makes it go to A to C, to B, the problem if you downgrade is yes you may get 7-8 meg instead of 10, but this also depends on how many other computers are using the internet, xbox live also counts as a pc sometimes more. But!,it also matters what you use your internet for, example if you are a pro gamer type guy, then yes 10 meg will do you fine you do NOT need 20, the difference between the 10mb and 20mb in most American servers will be as little as 5-10 as distance and their internet server, the only cut back for you should be uploads, but that only affects if you are playing Peer 2 peer games such as gunzonline, but I think you would manage fine on that too, however if you drop below 1MB, or are using 1MB, you can have problems playing xbox live.

Recently ive been getting 18-19MB through router since I complained, but now I am getting 10mb download, 730 upload from http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

and 488383459.png

488384091.png

This is the fastest upload ive ever gotten, most previously been 730, so the internet is pretty unstable at the moment.

488384687.png.

Anyways, do you have a local friend in your area in which you could compare his internet? My friend across the road is also on 20mb, he is getting 4mb from speed tests and we were in the same game a while ago, our Ping on the server was changing from 40-50, then a massive spike up to 450 or 300 at the same time.

=======================================================
    Reply to
    I get 16 meg down when I plug the ntl connection into the back of the PC, but always 9meg down when I go through my netgear router.

I was considering downgrading my 20meg package to 10 meg (as I thought I wasn't getting it), but if I do so, maybe I'll only be getting 5 meg through my router.

Anyone know why this is?

Anyone know why this is?
    =======================================================

JJB360 wrote: »
    The-Rigger, do you know the make and model of your netgear router? is it the one they gave you? and yes having it plugged directly into your pc will be faster because the internet goes direction from A to B, router makes it go to A to C, to B, the problem if you downgrade is yes you may get 7-8 meg instead of 10, but this also depends on how many other computers are using the internet, xbox live also counts as a pc sometimes more. But!,it also matters what you use your internet for, example if you are a pro gamer type guy, then yes 10 meg will do you fine you do NOT need 20, the difference between the 10mb and 20mb in most American servers will be as little as 5-10 as distance and their internet server, the only cut back for you should be uploads, but that only affects if you are playing Peer 2 peer games such as gunzonline, but I think you would manage fine on that too, however if you drop below 1MB, or are using 1MB, you can have problems playing xbox live.

Recently ive been getting 18-19MB through router since I complained, but now I am getting 10mb download, 730 upload from http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

and 488383459.png

488384091.png

This is the fastest upload ive ever gotten, most previously been 730, so the internet is pretty unstable at the moment.

488384687.png.

Anyways, do you have a local friend in your area in which you could compare his internet? My friend across the road is also on 20mb, he is getting 4mb from speed tests and we were in the same game a while ago, our Ping on the server was changing from 40-50, then a massive spike up to 450 or 300 at the same time.

Thanks for the response JJB!

It's a netgear Wireless Router - WGR614, I didn't get it from NTL.
    The wireless element isn't even being used at the moment as I've forgotten the password, I'm putting it through the router instead of directly because sometimes my gf uses her laptop, so I have a a connection coming out of the router that she can plug in when she wishes to.

No xbox or so forth, but I do use my PC for playing poker, so I am reluctant now to downgrade in case my speeds via the router drop by 50% to 5 meg, which could be fine, but probably shouldn't risk it.

Don't know many people in the area/anyone on NTL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

JJB360 wrote: »
    Long post, but my experiences!.
    Ive had 20mb since it first came out but from my experiences.

One problem when it was going slow, she said she would send a tech out, few hours after that phone call it was magically fixed, so canceled the tech

Another time same problem same results, I call, right away after the call its magically fixed to my 20 mb speed.

3 Month's ago I also had the problem where terrible downloads, uploads and constant disconnects. I called for ages, went onto a premium help line eventually this entire phone call cost me over 30 Euro as its a expensive line, but I spent most of this time on HOLD, eventually I got through to a ''professional'' she asked me to restart my computer and it would fix it, I am a very ignorant guy sometimes I admit, so I did withdrawl in a burst of laughter and said can I speak to a male please (yes I know its sexist of me sorry), she then started to raise her voice saying she has a degree in networking management etc, and I said I am not going to argue on a phone and this call is recorded you should also be careful lets just talk about my internet, she said is my pc old, I said no its a XPS dell laptop with latest and best gaming known gaming hardware, and no I am not using wireless as I am a competitive gamer after a hard days work, I am also the only person using the internet. so the conversation turned to me answering questions that she had not asked but I knew she would eventually so I just wanted to skip the corners, I told her I have speed tested on speedtest.net, she tried to over talk me very rudely (and yes I know i appear rude,but I also never raised my voice. And I am also the complainer customer, she is ment to be the polite calm manager) and tried to ask me to test on upc.nl/speedtest , but I had actually already did this and it was the same speeds, I took a screen shot and said I can email it to her, she declined, she asked me to reboot my modem, and I also have of course done this many times, I turn my modem off at 2AM untill I am back from work, anyways, after this talk she said that I should try reboot my modem one more time, I admit I lied and said I am rebooting it now, I never did so!, and my internet magically appeared as 20mb download speed again, she tried to say all it needed was a reboot.. I did not want to argue, I said thanks as I was happy!

The Next time, more recently, I got through to a delightful, absolutely lovely woman, I flirted with her a bit too and she was biting! woman maybe 30 year's old, she knew a lot too, lovely talk and I explained to her, she asked me for my number to call me back as the call is expensive, she called me back 10 minutes later and asked me could I test my internet now, I did so, and it was flawless, I was getting perfect uploads and downloads, I said a lot of thank you to her and asked her out for a drink as I am very confident in myself ha ha.. she declined due to shes not allowed, BUT I KNOW SHE WANTED TO!

last 2 weeks, going complete terrible again as you can see below, I will call again soon. with results!
    481956060.png

People like you are why I would never work in a call center.
    Do you realise how stupid that all sounds?

First off, you admit to knowing SFA about things, but laugh in the face of a woman who obviously does, just cause she's a woman!

Disgusting!

Secondly, seeing as she can connect onto your modem, through their network, do you think she wouldn't have known that you didn't reboot.
    They can "magically" as you would say (:rolleyes:) tell if the modem is plugged in or not.

Thirdly, you think the next lady deffinately wanted to go out with you.
    you do realise that the first woman you were speaking to would have left a full account of how sexist you were, and how you lied to her over the phone.
    Still think she was mad for you?!

Now I hope the other posters take this into account when people wonder why tech agents have to go through steps.

Cause some people, lie!

Advertisement