Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two questions on Ethics

• 19-08-2008 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey guys!

this is my first post, as you see =) I was searching for a philosophy board because i don't know a better place to ask for some opinions and that topic so I hope you can help me in some way.

I watched a TV series where two questions were brought up and I don't really know an answer (but I have to say i know barely anything about ethics), if there is an "easy" answer, wich is probably the first important question. But anyways, here they are.

Situation 1 (i know, kinda creepy one).
    Imagine you have a child (okay, I think you can't imagine that really, you have to have one probably =)). A guy rapes and kills your child in the worst way you can barely imagine. Eventually the guy is caught. When it would be on you to chose what to do with him, what is the best decision with regard on moral?

Situation 2
    You are a cop and working on a deep drug case (mostly heroin) for a couple of months already. You have to do to an undercover drug deal and get shot. Fortunately you wake up again in the hospital after the doctors just removed 3 bullets from your body. A boss of yours is showing you the photos of the main drug dealers in the case. You remember one of the two shooters and point on him but didn't see the other. the boss now tells you in some more words that you could point on anyone to get him arrested somehow and so off the streets. But thats actually against your base rules of executing the law and not exploit it to use for your own advantage. What is the best decision with regard on moral?

So, I hope there will be some opinions on that. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Hilary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

If situation 1 happened to me I think i would feel like slowly killing the guy as painfully as possible and then probably end my own life . Don't ever wan't to find out . Luckily from a moral standpoint we have laws to prevent personal retribution . Others do that for us . I guess the tough moral response it is to "offer your suffering to god" and seek healing . Perhaps via religion - maybe via counselling .

Situation 2 - stick to what you know . For pragmatic reason - cases collapse where evidence does not stand up . If found out whole case may collapse due to lack of credibility . But morally - why become a cop ? Not to frame people surely

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement