Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D-Jing - how did you get started?

• 19-08-2008 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm a trained singer and a songwriter. I have always been interested in DJing but never really did anything about it...

I am currently studying sound engineering at the moment and my interest in DJing has come back. I'd really love to learn how to mix but I have no idea how to get started.

To the DJ's out there - how did you get started? What gear did you use? How did you get your foot in the door for your first set? etc etc.

Any advice/tips or both would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Wow, this page took so long to load.... what with all the responses and all. :pac:
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Are you just looking for answers from working DJs or the quote/unquote bedroomers aswell?

Anyone that has any advice or tips to share..

Just wondering how everyone got started.. How they learned to mix... what equipment was used etc.

Thanks.

Okay, I can help with that. This is what some would call a long story.

I started off by downloading free trials of DJ software to see if I enjoyed it. Equipment is very expensive if you decide after a few weeks that you don’t want to bother anymore. I tried a few and wasn’t impressed until I found Virtual DJ. By the time the free trial expired I was going mad to get my hands on something where I could touch the controls, instead of just clicking at them.

First I got the Behringer BCD3000, a midi controller but when I got it home and tried to set it up I found it didn’t work with my OS, Vista. So the nice folks at Sounds Around exchanged it for the Numark Total Controller. They checked the website and guaranteed me that it would be compatible with Vista. I happily took it home, set it up and, did you know there are two versions of Vista? The Numark Total Controller wouldn’t work with my 64-bit version.

By this stage I just thought “Feck it” and decided to go for the traditional turntables and mixer set-up. So I exchanged the Numark for a Gemini PS04. There was a device which would enable me to play MP3 files through the mixer but guess how that story ended? It didn’t work with Vista. After a couple of months I got the Gemini CDT05 turntable and the plan was to continue to save for the other but at €600 and with other demands on my wallet I eventually decided to get a cheaper deck while I continued to save for the CDT05. I got the Kam 1100 and hooked everything into my husband‘s Technics stereo. The Kam is a two-deck CD player so I can use all three of the channels on the mixer.

Pics in chronological order:
    Behringer BCD3000
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff18/mydosemakesangels/equip/BehringerBCD3000.png

Numark Total Controller
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff18/mydosemakesangels/equip/NumarkTotalController.jpg

Gemini PS04
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff18/mydosemakesangels/equip/Gem.jpg

Gemini CDT05
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff18/mydosemakesangels/equip/CDT05.jpg

Kam 1100
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff18/mydosemakesangels/equip/kamkcd1100.jpg

Set-up.
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff18/mydosemakesangels/equip/DSC00077.jpg
    (I don't have a more recent one with the Kam aswell.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Started off using a couple of DJing programs which helped me to get to grips with the basics, eventually moved over to vinyl (and a Gemini PS04 as above funnily enough), and a couple of years later added a couple of cd decks. Splashed out on a DJM 800 recently, which was worth every cent...

I'd say give something like virtual DJ a whirl first to see if you can get into it, as that's not going to break the bank at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

real dj's still use vinyl and 1210's:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

God I hate that quote...
    Real DJs rock the **** out of the place with whatever medium they perform best with.

Love the way that "DJs" always gets wrongly pluralised as well...

Thanks guys. I was gonna try something like Serato Scratch to get started. I didn't wanna buy a huge amount of equipment and then discover I hated it or it wasn't compatible with my mac.

You's have helped loads. Really appreciate it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

Two things, Firstly I agree with Tman that real DJs will rock a venue no matter what medium they use, I recently saw a DJ using some form of laptop plus controller(s) set up in Tamango and I was blown away, it opens up so many possibilites that vinyl and even cds don't.

However,
    I started off with a dual cd player and wee 2 channel mixer with no eqs and I couldn't get the hang of mixing, It didnt help that the cd players didn't have instant start (I'm going back a few years lads!). It wasn't until I bought my 1210s that i really got the hang of beat matching and the basics of mixing, I was able to easily transfer these skills to my cd players and I haven't looked back since!
    Maybe it was just me but i definately found vinyl easier to learn on.. The 1210s are sitting in my garage at home now gathering dust, I dig them out at xmas for a mess around but thats it! I currently use cdjs and they are the business as far as i'm concerned.
    The bottom line is that whether you are using 1210s, cdjs, serato or two feckin ipods wired to a mixer it doesn't matter... What matters is that you are entertaining your audience... and enjoying yourself! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

oh lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Where's a giant rolleyes smiley when you need one?

Here she is...

329015-rolleyes.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

and real djs who want all the latest tunes and tracks that are released on digital labels make the switch.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Software is a great way of messing around for cheap but djing is an expensive hobby so don't invest a load of cash before you're sure you wanna do it.

While 1210s mightn't be what everyone uses these days, they are very easy to get second hand and generally very reliable

Started using my brothers 1210s, then got a set of belt drives with a small 2 channel mixer, upgraded a couple of times, got some cd decks and now have 1210s with a DJM 800 and Serato

In terms of getting you're foot in the door, learn to mix, develop an individual sound, not something that everyone else is playing - then just start going to different nights, get to know the people booking the djs etc and give them some mixes

My 2 cents anyways

Advertisement