Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Rifile advice..

Options
  • 19-08-2008 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Im Buying my first rifle its for use on my own land for mainly shooting crows mag pies and rabbits. I have decided to go for .17 hmr. What makes would you recommend i seen a Marlin 917VSF .17 HMR or a cz 45? .17.
    I was told the cz was a better gun is there any other makes/models i should consider? Also is it possable to get a shot gun at the same time? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The CZ seems to be far and away the best value for money gun out there. Hard to go wrong with it it would seem. There's no issue with applying for a shotgun at the same time. Best of luck with your purchases and licensing quests. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

You wont go wrong with a marlin or cz, I myself have a marlin 917 vs-cf great for rabbits out to around the 150 yard mark. The 17 HMR is a great little round and perfect for vermin. Wind can be a bit of a factor on the round, but as long as you have put in plenty of practice and get a thight enough group you are happy with you should have no problems. Make sure you try out plenty of different types of brand of ammo, you will find that some brands shoot better. You should have no problem putting in for a shotgun licence at the same time. Best of luck with it ....

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

savage do a sweet little .17hmr rifle
    have fired 1 and its a beaut
    http://www.savagearms.com/93r17BTVS.htm
    and i can say its a great vermin rifle and round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Most important thing with a 17 is to keep it clean and free of copper. Do that, and you'll never have accuracy trouble.

Advertisement