Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance/Legal Question?

Options
  • 19-08-2008 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,
    Not going to go into too much detail...basically looking for a second opinion.

My car was stolen in the south and brought to the north. it was reported stolen to the gardai (who called to the house) 15 mins after it was stolen on the friday night.
    The car was involved in a minor collision with police car up the north - obviously not me driving, it was the guys who had stolen it.

This was 6 months ago.

I get a letter in the post a couple of weeks ago from an northern solicitor acting on behalf of the 2 PSNI officers involved in the above crash claiming personal damages/loss of wages etc from me as I am liable for the damages as I "am the holder of the valid road traffic insurance disc and owner of the car".

They want me to send my insurance company details to them.
    I am no longer with the same insurance company for a start.
    i rang them up and said that the car was stolen and that it was not me driving it but she just kept saying, "thats unfortunate that your car was stolen and crashed but we need your insurance details"

I dnt want to hand over my details if their going to claim of my insurance. i drive a car thats very hard to get insured with with a NCB but without it id b ****ed

well???? what do i do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I'd say that the solicitors have no right to your insurance details since they are in another country. And the northern cops wanting to make a claim off you? sounds like a try on to me. I would get some advice from a solicitor who is local to you, since if it was me I'd be inclined to tell yer woman to FO sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This is going to be locked, but the advice remains the same.
    Engage a competent solicitor one that has cross-border experience.
    I would vet the solicitor before engagement.
    There is some crossover with regard to road traffic accidents in law but if your car was reported stolen I don't see how you can be liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

would i be right that all the details were stuck in the window of the car yhat night??? and these are cops?? also i think you should get some legal advice before you hand any info over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

In before the lock!
    Get matlock on the case! Seriously go see a solicator i can't see how they don't already have your insurance details though.
    You shouldn'tbe liable if your car was stolen and reported stolen no?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

If they get back onto me i'l have to get onto a solicitor but i think they might just have been chancing their arm...see if i hand over the details.

Just thought someone might have had a similar experience or knows where i stand.
    I can't be liable for this - the driver of the vehicle would have been obviously uninsured, so shouldnt the two cops be claiming from the uninsured drivers fund, they have that in the uk dont they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I can't be liable for this - the driver of the vehicle would have been obviously uninsured,

That is correct. What ever else you are not to blame for the accident nor can be held liable.

Here is an interesting case on point:
    http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IESC/2003/23.html

It is irrelevant in this context that there are different jurisdictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sorry, but we can't (mustn't!) really do legal advice here. You really need to talk to a good solicitor

closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement