Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Stolen

Options
  • 19-08-2008 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Yet another tale of woe, from what I've read here :(

My GT Avalanche was swiped from the Milltown Luas stop sometime between 4pm thursday last (14th August) and 3pm Saturday (16th). I know luas stops are dodge, but I locked it in full view of cameras and made sure the wheels were locked to the frame as well as to the rack :s

21-speed geartrain, hardtail, blue and silver, quick-release saddle and wheels.
    483-gt-outpost.jpg

pretty much identical to this outpost, except with "Avalanche 3.0" in white on the top tube. The handlebars are really well worn, the wheels are kinda worn, it stands out a bit because it has a brand new geartrain. I only had it 2 weeks, got it second hand, but it handled like a dream ;_;

If anyone sees it, please please gimme a shout in the thread or an email.
    I'm reporting it stolen in the morning, but I had it such a short time I didn't get the frame number, so the description is the only thing I have, really. Still have the receipt, but I don't know if bike shops keep track of frame numbers. Any advice on hunting it down is very welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Does anyone have any advice on preventing bike theft?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Don't lock your bike outside.

Seriously though, after having 4 bikes stolen around the year 2000 I decided I would get a "hack" bike for cycling into town/leaving locked outside and keep my good bike (now bikes :D) indoors pretty much all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Slice wrote: »
    MMMMmmmm yeah, don't leave your bike outdoors unless you are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 awja

MMMMmmmm yeah, don't leave your bike outdoors unless you are on it.

Yeah, I didn't until I had to make a run to the luas and I wasn't going to make it on time without the bike :( It was either locked at work, or in my apt. Just goes to show, you can never let your guard down :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Slice wrote: »

Hand paint the entire thing a horrific colour so it is unsellable. I did it to both mine and I feel it is far better protection than the dirty big 3.5kg motorbike lock I also use.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

You left it at a Luas stop for 3 days?? Why? You are just asking for trouble....

Easy Rider wrote: »
    You left it at a Luas stop for 3 days?? Why? You are just asking for trouble....

two days, and I couldn't get back sooner :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Easy Rider wrote: »

Yeah that is kinda pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

awja wrote: »
    two days, and I couldn't get back sooner :(
    ... you might as well just have given it to them really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Jeese, the bike was nicked, I think OP got the point!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

paint the bike bright pink and lock it as you normally do, sure people will think your mad but NOBODY will steal it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They may decide to vandalise it though.

Verb wrote: »
    Jeese, the bike was nicked, I think OP got the point!

Yep, point well and truly gotten :o

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

awja wrote: »
    ..... but I locked it in full view of cameras and made sure the wheels were locked to the frame as well as to the rack :s

Any chance you can get the tapes from the cameras? The cops might be interested in looking at them .... ok maybe not.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If it was actually locked on the platform at Milltown Luas stop could there be a small chance that Veolia, the Luas operator, has taken it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

monument wrote: »
    If it was actually locked on the platform at Milltown Luas stop could there be a small chance that Veolia, the Luas operator, has taken it?

Was thinking the same.
    Especially if you were blocking a wheelchair ramp (not saying you were).
    The platform is their property and they'd be entitled to remove it, give a quick call to the depot

monument wrote: »

It was in the bike racks, not on the platform, and I've already asked. Veolia don't remove bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

Sorry to hear it- Its terrible how so many bikes get robbed that people start blaming the owner for not locking it well enough. Make sure you report it to the Gardai cause they do get bikes back now and again but never get round to telling you- Used to store them in Kevin St and you could look to see if they've picked it up. Might find something there

Advertisement