Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mickey Mouse - where to buy it in Dublin

Options
  • 19-08-2008 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    does anybody know where to buy Disney comic books, aka Mikey Mouse, in Dublin?
    I checked in the bookshop in Exchequer St. but they didn't have it, I also visited Eason in O'Connell St. but same thing, still have to go to the other few shops mentioned in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54563

but I don't feel very confident about finding anything there.

How is it possible that such famous comic book is so hard to find in a city like Dublin?

Nobody's buying it anymore? (well this is probably true as there doesn't seem to be any shops stocking it...)

Neither the two online shops linked in the aforementioned thread appear to have it...

Or maybe it doesn't come under the definition of "comic book"? Sorry but I'm a foreigner and I'm not familiar with the keywords related to the various categories of these issues, please advise me... Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

I've never seen them before, i'd guess forbidden planet is your best bet though.

Mikey Mouse is not as popular in English as it is in certain places in Europe, you certainly wont find them on the newsstand and finding books in print is trickier. I know Gemstone is the main English publisher, mostly trades similar to the ones seen on the continent, on the pricier side the Complete Carl Barks Library has been solicited by them but at the moment it is unsure if it will see print.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

there are currently only two disney comic titles being published - Walt Disney's Comics and Stories and Uncle Scrooge. They aren't published directly by Disney but via publisher Gemstone.

There are non-english versions sold [very popular in italy] but they've never been really popular here or in the uk other then in forums similar to the dandy or beano and those tend to feature more puzzles and activities then comics. I doubt you'll find them in irish comic shops - only forbidden planet and sub city currently order from Diamond and Disney comics wouldn't be big enough sellers for them to order them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

thanks guys,
    this morning I went to the Forbidden Planet, unfortunately they only had a couple of monthly issues, apparently those mentioned by ztoical.

I got Scrooge but there were no references to the year or month, I don't know if it was a recent issue, anyway it's a collection of a few old stories, about 70 pages, for the price of 11.50€, not a bargain...

I'll probably have to buy the new stuff online... any advice for that? I'll get some old comics from ebay, but for the new ones I'll need to get cheap shipment expenses...

Cheers!

robnet77 wrote: »
    thanks guys,
    this morning I went to the Forbidden Planet, unfortunately they only had a couple of monthly issues, apparently those mentioned by ztoical.

I got Scrooge but there were no references to the year or month, I don't know if it was a recent issue, anyway it's a collection of a few old stories, about 70 pages, for the price of 11.50€, not a bargain...

I'll probably have to buy the new stuff online... any advice for that? I'll get some old comics from ebay, but for the new ones I'll need to get cheap shipment expenses...

Cheers!

I was in FP around lunch time myself and saw they'd both Walt Disney's Comics and Stories and Uncle Scrooge pretty sure there all your going to find here as they are all the disney comics that are carried by Diamond. You can try the gemstone website which I linked in the last post - they do offer subs and back issues but I didn't look to see if they shipped international or what the shipping rates were. If your ordering from the US see if media mail is a shipping option as it will save you a few quid.

You could just read the Casper the Ghost collection that Dark Horse published recently. There is very much the Mickey Mouse feel to these, and a great bargain for the amount you get. Also i've seen this in Forbidden Planet.

• Advertisement

thanks again.

I would actually preferred getting Mickey Mouse as I started reading it 25 years ago and it may keep part of its appeal (haven't read it for ages, though).

I'll also give a go to some of the other comics in the main thread (don't know where to start though), but still I'll try to buy M.M. online shortly...

hey, any advice on something to buy at Forbidden planet?
    I'd like to rule out fanboys' stuff and single issues...
    some comics where dialogues are great, I mean...
    I'll try a bit of everything and then I'll see which ones I'll keep buying...
    thanks!

Bone by Jeff Smith you might like, very much in the Carl Barks funny animal tradition of cartooning, published either in one 1300 page black and white edition or in a newer colourized but smaller collection.

Some people swear by the Flight anthologies by Scholastic which again continue the tradition of the Disney adventure strip. I haven't read these yet but i've only ever heard good things.

Otherwise just check out the ongoing read and review thread.

magwea wrote: »
    Some people swear by the Flight anthologies by Scholastic which again continue the tradition of the Disney adventure strip. I haven't read these yet but i've only ever heard good things.

the first two volumes of the Flight anthology were put out by Image Comics and from volumes three onwards they've been published by Ballantine books which is a sub of Random House not Scholastic. The series was started by an animator and features alot of west coast animation artists from Dreamworks and Pixar/Disney along with several well know east coast cartoonists.

Scholastic do have a graphic novel division but they mainly focus on young reader titles like the Baby sitters club.

My bad, Ztoical is right of course. Sorry for the misinformation.

• Advertisement

thanks again guys, I contacted the Italian customer service and they said the English version is not available for subscription (I would have done it on a yearly basis if it had been possible).In the meantime, taking advantage of my reborn interest in Batman, following the cinema masterpieces from Christopher Nolan, I have started reading Batman - year one and also bought The Dark Knight Returns.I reckon this can constitute a good palliative for the lack of Mickey Mouse comics, let's see how much I enjoy it... ;)

Advertisement