Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taos Hum

Options
  • 19-08-2008 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever heard of this??? I read on the internet years ago about the Taos Hum, it was first apparently observed in Albaquirqe in New Mexico and is basically a sound that has been described as being similar to a old diesel engine idling at a distance. The thing about this noise is that despite many attempts to locate its source, all attempts proved futile. There are theories that point to US Many ELF (Extremely Low Frequency) waves that are used by the Navy to communicate with its submarines and this could be the cause of this mysterous hum. Anyway, myself and herself have recently been hearing a noise that sounds like a far away diesel engine and this Taos hum thing came into my head. We can both hear it and are completely mystified by this, because we cannot find the source of the noise. We live in the Firhouse area, just wondering is anyone else hearing this hum???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

I cant look at the link! It just comes up access denied :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I go through phases where I hear this. I hadn't a clue what it was at the start but it was so loud I was looking out the windows to see what feckin' eejit had left a truck idling out on the street at 3am! I still hear it sometimes but not quite so loud though. No one else in the house can hear it and I hear it more in one ear than the other. I have no idea if I can just hear lower frequencies in that ear or if it's all just in my head:P It could also be a form of tinnitus:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

This, or a similar noise was prevalent at Largs on the River Clyde estuary, Scotland, some 20 years ago. The noise was always in early AM.

All official investigations drew a blank as to an explanation.

However, further up-river was located the nuclear submarine base at Faslane.

Hhhmmh.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dunno about a diesel engine, I get high pitched tones, but I assume its my ears doing something odd. Lasts for about 10 seconds at completely random times. And its not that feedback ringing you get after being in a loud environment.

Years ago I used to get 'white noise' sounds when everything was dead quiet, say late at night. Also something like a radio playing a mile away, that you can barely hear.:) My husband's heard that too, and we live in the sticks, no one close. But havent noticed that for years, probably cos I have kids now and dont get much quiet. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Oryx wrote: »
    Dunno about a diesel engine, I get high pitched tones, but I assume its my ears doing something odd. Lasts for about 10 seconds at completely random times. And its not that feedback ringing you get after being in a loud environment.

Years ago I used to get 'white noise' sounds when everything was dead quiet, say late at night. Also something like a radio playing a mile away, that you can barely hear.:) My husband's heard that too, and we live in the sticks, no one close. But havent noticed that for years, probably cos I have kids now and dont get much quiet. :o

I think that you like myself (I do have it) probably have Tinnitus (too many loud discos and headphones on at full blast when young) that's the white noise and the high pitched sounds, it can't be cured but I don't think it deteoriates into anything worse. To the medical forum with you ;)
    >

I think that you like myself (I do have it) probably have Tinnitus (too many loud discos and headphones on at full blast when young) that's the white noise and the high pitched sounds, it can't be cured but I don't think it deteoriates into anything worse. To the medical forum with you ;)
    >
    I have tinnitus (clicking) in my right ear. :) The ringing I would assume is part of that. The only sound I mentioned that I would find interesting in a paranormal way is the 'far away radio' one. Cos my hubby heard it sometimes but we never found a source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

There are some good alternative explanations on the taos wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

Oryx wrote: »
    I have tinnitus (clicking) in my right ear. :) The ringing I would assume is part of that. The only sound I mentioned that I would find interesting in a paranormal way is the 'far away radio' one. Cos my hubby heard it sometimes but we never found a source.

I don't think it is this...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I don't think it is this...
    Prolly not, I did say in the first post I havent heard diesel engines. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Skeptic_Desu

Brian Dunning did a very good Skeptiod podcast on this subject.
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4090

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 miamigal

I'd never heard of this before but funnily enough I read this story on the bbc earlier

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/7571870.stm

sounds like the same sort of thing

I'm not hearing the noise tonight which is the first night I haven't heard it this week. I'm in the Firhouse area in Dublin. Both myself and the gf hear it, always at night and it stops for a few minutes and then starts up again. Sometimes it's louder than others. We were thinking would it be some kind of resonance coming into the apartment from a water pump underground or maybe above ground and resonating into our place from a water pipe or something like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have tinnitus too.
    God damn aliens!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Do you here the hum when you go outside your apartment or outside the building? I'm only up the road from you and haven't heard anything.

6th wrote: »
    Do you here the hum when you go outside your apartment or outside the building? I'm only up the road from you and haven't heard anything.

No, don't think I've heard it outside but I went outside once to see if I could hear it and I couldn't and came back inside but couldn't hear it inside either so I assumed it had stopped, but next time I hear it I'll go outside and see if I can hear it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 heather53

I thought it was a brain tumor, I have the clicking in my left ear. At first I thought it was sinus problem (not) I grew up in the late 60's did a lot of concerts Led Zep, Doors, loved loud music still do. I just looked it up and one of the causes besides loud music is aspirin overuse. That's me.
    Thanks for the HUM
    Heather
    Taos NM

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

This drives my mother looper!, now and again we can hear the distant rumbling/hum, i've checked outside, it's not a car. the noise is consistent, but we can only ever hear it from the kitchen. She's constantly muting the TV and trying to figure out what it is.

I've hear of the Taos hum before, but she thinks i'm talking crazy talk.

another thing that's weird is, i live in leixlip and we have two train stations - i happen to live nowhere near the tracks, yet if i'm in my room i can hear the train, very loudly :confused:

echter, I live 15 miles from the train track, but if the conditions are right, I can hear the train clearly. So I suppose that might be common enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

it's quite freaky though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

When I go back to my parents house I can hear the ultrasonic rat control thing from the shed out the back.

Probably would freak me out if I didn't know what it was.

Could be something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Could it be the road works on the M50?

I remember when they were originally building the M50 around firhouse/dundrum/sandyford they had to do a lot of digging and drilling.
    Some of it was through a rock face and the road works caused a humming noise, which used to drive me crazy till a friend of mine pointed out what it was to me one day.

They've recently started up road works again on that stretch of road and I know they sometimes work at night, could it be that?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Garlic Suplmnt

Apologies for the necro etc - but is anybody else hearing anything like this? I live in Dublin 8 and hear a low pitched hum at certain times of the day and night, have done for a good few weeks now. I have spent hours trying to source this noise but can't find anything that could be the cause, including walking up and down the street and back lane. My girlfriend can't hear it at all. I'm stumped as to where this might be coming from.

Cheers

Apologies for the necro etc - but is anybody else hearing anything like this? I live in Dublin 8 and hear a low pitched hum at certain times of the day and night, have done for a good few weeks now. I have spent hours trying to source this noise but can't find anything that could be the cause, including walking up and down the street and back lane. My girlfriend can't hear it at all. I'm stumped as to where this might be coming from.

Cheers

I've started hearing it very loudly particularly badly from about 5am but it has been going through the day time too. So loudly in fact that I'm losing sleep over it. It's driving me crazy to be honest.

I can't seem to find any reference to roadworks or drilling in the vicinity. Had thought it was a quarry at one stage. Anyone else experiencing it? I'm In south Dublin.

I'm exhausted from lack of sleep over it and getting bad headaches as a result. Been up the last hour trying to find the source....

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Happyhunter

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of this??? I read on the internet years ago about the Taos Hum, it was first apparently observed in Albaquirqe in New Mexico and is basically a sound that has been described as being similar to a old diesel engine idling at a distance. The thing about this noise is that despite many attempts to locate its source, all attempts proved futile. There are theories that point to US Many ELF (Extremely Low Frequency) waves that are used by the Navy to communicate with its submarines and this could be the cause of this mysterous hum. Anyway, myself and herself have recently been hearing a noise that sounds like a far away diesel engine and this Taos hum thing came into my head. We can both hear it and are completely mystified by this, because we cannot find the source of the noise. We live in the Firhouse area, just wondering is anyone else hearing this hum???

Maybe it's a far away diesel engine. Not being smart but you haven't given any reason why this isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Garlic Suplmnt

Kamili wrote: »
    I've started hearing it very loudly particularly badly from about 5am but it has been going through the day time too. So loudly in fact that I'm losing sleep over it. It's driving me crazy to be honest.

I can't seem to find any reference to roadworks or drilling in the vicinity. Had thought it was a quarry at one stage. Anyone else experiencing it? I'm In south Dublin.

I'm exhausted from lack of sleep over it and getting bad headaches as a result. Been up the last hour trying to find the source....

Yeah it's becoming louder and more distinct all the time. In the last 3 months I've heard it in Portobello, Drumcondra, Celbridge, Greystones and the Isle of Man. Not got to a stage yet where it's a nuisance though.

I find it drops off early to late evening then drifts back in about midnight. It seems to be at it's loudest between 4/5 am and midday.

P.S. The tone I hear it at is like D #, though it does osciallate slightly.

Yeah it's becoming louder and more distinct all the time. In the last 3 months I've heard it in Portobello, Drumcondra, Celbridge, Greystones and the Isle of Man. Not got to a stage yet where it's a nuisance though.

I find it drops off early to late evening then drifts back in about midnight. It seems to be at it's loudest between 4/5 am and midday.

P.S. The tone I hear it at is like D #, though it does osciallate slightly.

Yep that's exactly what I'm hearing, it's bizarre. It did stop altogether for Christmas day and then again on new years eve.

Heard there was oil found in Dublin Bay and that they were drilling for that but I'm not sure it was related. Or howvtrue that is!

At one point I thought it was my neighbours central heating...

The noise is on a frequency that just drives me potty, it's almost constant. Would lOve to know what it is. Can hear it now and it hasn't stopped all night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Heard there was oil found in Dublin Bay and that they were drilling for that but I'm not sure it was related. Or howvtrue that is!

Not true unfortunately. I live beside the M50 so there is always a distant hum in the evenings but I would love to hear this. There is no chance of getting a recording?

Riamfada wrote: »

Not true unfortunately. I live beside the M50 so there is always a distant hum in the evenings but I would love to hear this. There is no chance of getting a recording?

I live close to the M50 too and it's not the same hum.

Tried recording it but it's not coming out, too low a frequency. Sometimes I feel the vibrations rather than hear it as if it's coming up from the foundations. The next door neighbour's central heating theory might be the case but I can't prove it... I'm starting to doubt if it is that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Sounds like it might be a good idea to apply some of the metering equipment used to search for ghosts in this case.

Advertisement