Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

supermarket rip off

Options
  • 19-08-2008 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

All English shops like: boots, tesco etc, do not give us value for money compared to the same goods in the UK, even with the stirling/euro exchange, i know for a fact that we pay far more here, and even after the great Eddy Hobbs pointed this all out on national tv, still, the food and clothing, toiletries etc are much more here.

Why i ask?
    It could not be all down to imports surley? Cos if thats the case, how come the good in the north are cheaper, they still have to get here from UK the same way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daraghmack

They knew that until recently we had lots of cash down here and weren't very cautious with our spending as our neighbours in the UK are, they gradually increased our prices and we kept paying it so they kept screwing us. It is only now that we are in "recession," and money is tighter that we care enough to sit up and take notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jpcgalway

I think that eventaully the purse that Paddy has will force a policy change here. Shopping recently in Debenhams I saw STG price of €25 EUR price of €39. Left it on the shelf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

in tasco in holyhead thay are so more exp than here evary thing is the sameprise in pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

medeame wrote: »
    It could not be all down to imports surley? Cos if thats the case, how come the good in the north are cheaper, they still have to get here from UK the same way.
    It can be a lot cheaper to send stuff to the north from the UK than to ROI, just check online courier sites, or transport companies. Also there can be vast VAT differences.

Some UK companies will also charge the same delivery to the north as the rest of the UK, and cover the extra cost themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

jpcgalway wrote: »
    I think that eventaully the purse that Paddy has will force a policy change here. Shopping recently in Debenhams I saw STG price of €25 EUR price of €39. Left it on the shelf!

If all the people that bitched about prices did the same then we might not be in this situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

People don't shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

clint999 wrote: »
    They knew that until recently we had lots of cash down here and weren't very cautious with our spending as our neighbours in the UK are, they gradually increased our prices and we kept paying it so they kept screwing us. It is only now that we are in "recession," and money is tighter that we care enough to sit up and take notice!
    Come up with that yourself?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭medeame

BostonB wrote: »
    People don't shop around.

i am a shoppoholic and have done more shopping in many different shops here and all over the world probably more times than ppl have hot dinners.

Ireland is a total rip off, just returned from yorkshire, dvd's in tesco £1 to £3. Bottle of Ameretto £8.99 in Galway at McCambridges €30.00, you do the math.

We are totally ripped off, weather tax vat or whatever you want to call it. thought we joined europe for good trade prices? whatever, cos my car cos €23.500 in Ireland, in UK it is £9.500, even less vrt and tax it would still be €17.500 in Ireland.
    Rip off Ireland in every shop as far as i am concerned, and like i said, boy! have i shopped around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You might shop around but most people don't. Shops & retailers couldn't stay in business if people didn't pay the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

no supermarket competition in ireland companys will always charge what they can get away with--you can only hope asda and morrisons move into the republic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

getz wrote: »
    no supermarket competition in ireland companys will always charge what they can get away with--you can only hope asda and morrisons move into the republic

If they didn't come when we were "awash with money", they'll hardly come now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ireland is cheaper than Spain for clothes and dairy produce I found. Similarly priced for Petrol and Diesel and we've a savage minimum wage. They toll roads for sport over there. Imagine going from Portlaoise to Dublin and paying 5 tolls? We have some things bad here, but not all bad.

Advertisement