Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car makers that lie about their cars . . . WHY !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Frenchdayz wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why the BMW 316i is a 1.9L, why isnt it a 1.9i ?
    What exactly do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

ninty9er wrote: »
    6150-6249cc = 6.2l
    I thought 6150 - 6249 = -99 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Frenchdayz wrote:
    Can someone tell me why the BMW 316i is a 1.9L, why isnt it a 1.9i

I want to know why the volve S40 isn't a 4.0L. Stands to reason based upon some of the reasoning in this thread:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Other examples of blatant lies include the Suzuki Swift, Mitsubishi Carisma, and Skoda Rapid amongst others. Where's the outrage about these?

Lionel Hutz: "That's the most blatent form of false advertising since the Neverending Story Part 2!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Frenchdayz

I want to know why the volve S40 isn't a 4.0L. Stands to reason based upon some of the reasoning in this thread:rolleyes:

Volvo dont use the model numbers to indicate the engine size, i will phone BMW and find out because i think there is a better reason out there

• Advertisement

Balfa wrote: »

So yeah, just like you wanted, they're simplifying things for the masses.

I dont want it simplified, and i understand the whole thing better now but i still think its stupid, change the name to a 319i !

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Volvo dont use the model numbers to indicate the engine size,

But neither do BMW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Volvo dont use the model numbers to indicate the engine size, i will phone BMW and find out because i think there is a better reason out there

Ah man are ya taking the piss altogether.
    You must be having us on, it couldnt possibly mean this much to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

please do.......and can you then print a transcript of the phone conversation - we're all looking forward to a good laugh!!!
    Seriously man, just give it up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I dont want it simplified, and i understand the whole thing better now but i still think its stupid, change the name to a 319i !

Why? Do you really think BMW are going to entertain a request to change their nomenclature from a long established formula just to prevent you making a fool out of yourself? All you're doing here is making a bigger fool out of yourself. There's an old saying that you'd do well to heed...
    When you're in a hole, stop digging!

• Advertisement

Im just saying, why do they make it right for some BMW models but not others ?

Ah man are ya taking the piss altogether.
    You must be having us on, it couldnt possibly mean this much to you...

I read in TopGear magazine that one of the columnists knows the reason why but couldnt be arsed explaining it ! I cant contact him, so i looked for answers in this thread but no-one has enlightened me.

I read in TopGear magazine that one of the columnists knows the reason why but couldnt be arsed explaining it ! I cant contact him, so i looked for answers in this thread but no-one has enlightened me.

IT'S JUST A BADGE. IT SOMETIMES, BUT NOT ALWAYS, INDICATES ENGINE SIZE. WHAT PART DON'T YOU GET??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You could try queries.tgmag@bbc.co.uk but I'd bet you'll be disappointed even if they do explain it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Gentlemen ...I'm of the firm belief that you've been had for 70 odd posts. Nobody but a (good, hats off!) troll could be so obsessive-compulsive about a badge on a car

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

frmo my experience, people who notice these things, can't afford the cars anyways

alias no.9 wrote: »
    You could try queries.tgmag@bbc.co.uk but I'd bet you'll be disappointed even if they do explain it to you.

Thanks ! will do

frmo my experience, people who notice these things, can't afford the cars anyways

For all you know i drive a 2004 Mazda RX-8 1.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

For all you know i drive a 2004 Mazda RX-8 1.3

You mean the RX8 doesn't have an 8 litre engine? Strange. Many many posts on such a strange topic!

Biro wrote: »
    You mean the RX8 doesn't have an 8 litre engine? Strange. Many many posts on such a strange topic!

Smart-arse :rolleyes: ! Im only talkin about 1 manufacturer

• Advertisement

Im only talkin about 1 manufacturer
    Then why is your thread titled "Car makers" with an "s", and why did you mention two different manufacturers in your OP? :)

Sometimes, feeding the trolls can be fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What happens if they have different hp and emissions figures for the same engine size?
    also, I don't think BMW ever made the link between their badging and the cars engine sizes

It's historically been close enough to tell the engine size. Different companies get different HP out of engines depending on how they tweak them, and it's easier to badge the cars with a 1+2 system rather than a 1+3...because 4 numbers is just too much. Plus, too many model options in a showroom confuse customers...especially when the only difference is in HP.

All high-end manufactureres use letter/number naming systems, and they usually mean something, whether it's the chasis/design of a car, the size of the engine, or the combination of both.

Personally, I would rather drive a Suzuki Swift instead of a misleadingly badged car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

MCMLXXXIII wrote: »

Personally, I would rather drive a Suzuki Swift instead of a misleadingly badged car.

Oh the irony...it hurts:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Biro wrote: »

I presumed RX8 meant R x 8 (8 rotary engines). Was is mistaken?

:D:D:rolleyes:

Then why is your thread titled "Car makers" with an "s", and why did you mention two different manufacturers in your OP? :)

Sometimes, feeding the trolls can be fun :)

THE ONLY CAR MAKER I HAVE MENTIONED THAT USES THE MODEL NUMBER TO INDICATE THE ENGINE SIZE IS BMW ! DONT CUT HALFWAY INTO A FORUM AND COMMENT LIKE A SMART-ARSE WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING WHAT EXACTLY IS BEING DISCUSSED

In regard to "trolls" i havent the faintest idea what you're talking about.

AudiChris wrote: »
    I presumed RX8 meant R x 8 (8 rotary engines). Was is mistaken?

:D:D:rolleyes:

Not a bad assumption :p !

DONT CUT HALFWAY INTO A FORUM AND COMMENT LIKE A SMART-ARSE WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING WHAT EXACTLY IS BEING DISCUSSED
    It'd be funnier for everyone else reading if you pointed out that you PM'd me three times yesterday about this thread :)

Troll feeding's getting boring now. I'm done here.

It'd be funnier for everyone else reading if you pointed out that you PM'd me three times yesterday about this thread :)

Troll feeding's getting boring now. I'm done here.
    Funnily enough, he PM'd me too. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yepp ...after my last post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I feel kinda left out now...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement