Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant System is a Fail!!

• 19-08-2008 2:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Ok I am going on a rant here but I am just seriously frustrated. I am 20 going college first time I did a PLC but I didnt know I was able to apply for a grant. My loss new to the Grant system.

I have no parent only a sister who lives in Dublin. I live in Carlow with my partner and child (newborn). I went to the local VEC and they told to apply to dublin VEC like what the hell? Is this normal apparently because my sister lives there and she is supposed to be my guidien. I mean we all both individual living our lives not like she sends me money.

Oh the other problem was also if you don't have parents you don't qualify for a grant. Honestly this is a load of cow manior.

Also my partner applied aswell and they sent her to Port Loaise because our house in Graig (carlow) is in laois! Gracefully the Laois VEC sent the form back to Carlow VEC the look on their face was priceless :).

This system needs to be changed. Plus the lady at the VEC office was a bit angry looking maybe becaus eam a foreigner living here for 10 years!!

Ok rant over I am head to Dublin to submit my forms. Any idea if my rate would be Non-adjacent Rate or adjacent Rate because I study in Carlow and I am applying to Dublin VEC? I hope to ask tomorrow well today, I will keep updated.

RANT over FTM.

Comments

That's fairly ridiculous alright - but to answer your query, you should be entited to the non-adjacent rate since the college you're attending is over 24 km from your 'normal residence'.

Advertisement