Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why pick Obama?

Options
  • 19-08-2008 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

Same guidelines as other thread, i.e. no stupid stuff.

Policy please.

On your marks...

Edit: 'Because he's black' is not a valid point.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

He's pro-choice, that's a big one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

He does support judges who interpret what they think the Constitution means, as no matter who reads it, all they can garner from any document is an interpretation.

He does think "tolerance" allows for the sharing of opinions, views, and ideals, without threat of persecution, as many other countries face.

He does oppose the death penalty, as I do. While I am against abortion personally, I am also pro-choice as my opinion should not cause anyone to have to endure a dangerous pregnancy.

He doesn’t think our troops are "war criminals," and thugs who killed somebody in cold blood are just "victims of society" rather believes the Iraq War was a mistake and needs to be corrected immediately and believes, like most, that the majority of criminality isn't just 'bad people' but rather a result of poverty.

He does scream and shout when innocent civilians are accidentally caught in the cross-fire, and denounces acts of terrorism.

He understands how economies work.

He does believe in civil rights for everyone.

He probably doesn’t watch FOX News.

He doesn’t think the best way to deal with terrorist regimes is to please and appease them, and also not blow everything up, including civilians to kingdom-come, to attempt to possibly get them!

He does think there is not a separate world for the US and a different one for the rest of the world.

He believes in Free Speech more than any other candidate.

He is the only candidate who seems to have a plan to combat poverty.

He understands how taxes work and they are a necessary part of maintaining a society.

He is "pro-Gay", "pro-Abortion", Christian, "anti-corporate greed", and "anti-people-getting-in-the-way-of-positive-progress"

He does think racism is a problem that everyone needs to deal with.

He doesn’t think America deserved 9/11.

See what I did there!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Because he uses bigger words than McCain....clearly:rolleyes:

To be honest I think Obama and McCain are both only average candidates....
    I started off being mesmorised by Obama but the more I watch him the less impressed I am. This whole campaign, from both candidates, is an exchange of soundbites. But I suppose aren't all US elections.

I'd say pick him because alot of his policies are potentially more rewarding and because he's young and energetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Otacon wrote: »
    See what I did there!

I see what you did… and good one! Funny, but my original post in the McCain version was slammed by some as something I did against Obama, and it really wasn’t. It was only satire against the US liberal mindset, which represents less than 19% of the population here. But I guess if the shoe fits..........................

Something that happened recently really disturbs me. There are certain things that should never come out of the mouth of someone who wants to be president of the United States. And on the very top of the list of statements that should never be spoken about our nation’s laws, and one’s most basic beliefs, is something like "That’s above my pay grade."

True leaders don’t pass tough questions to the next "pay grade."

Here is the exact quote in case some haven't seen or read it:
    “Well, uh, you know, I think that whether you’re looking at it from a theological perspective or, uh, a scientific perspective, uh, answering that question with specificity, uh, you know, is, is, uh, above my pay grade.” - Sen. Barack Obama, on “When does a baby get human rights?”

Also, it is not yet being reported much, but Obama supports partial-birth abortion and voted against the “Born Alive Infant Protection Act.”

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    I see what you did… and good one! Funny, but my original post in the McCain version was slammed by some as something I did against Obama, and it really wasn’t.

The reason I like McCain over you is he doesn't screw pigs. But my comment is not about you, it is about McCain. I am not saying you screw pigs, I am just saying that McCain doesn't.

Do you see how that works now? You can learn more about how this system works here.

Oh and the thread isn't for bashing Obama.

• Advertisement

:confused: I guess some things get lost in translation. :)

One thing I’ve got to give Obama though... anyone who willingly opens themselves up to public and private cruelty that comes along with running for US President, deserves my respect. I know I could never do it. I guess the country could do worse.

I guess the country could do worse.

It did... 4 and 8 years ago!

That said, both Obama and McCain are better for America than W ever was... I just think Obama > McCain, policy-wise.

It did... 4 and 8 years ago!

Actually, I was referring to Jimmy Carter :rolleyes:

It’s interesting to see Obama’s shift from the left to the center. I guess that’s what a general versus a primary election does to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Personnally I would favour Obama, McCain is positioned too close to the christian right and neocons, he had a few of them on his campaign staff last time he ran for president.

Actually, I was referring to Jimmy Carter :rolleyes:

It’s interesting to see Obama’s shift from the left to the center. I guess that’s what a general versus a primary election does to you.

It seems that since Obama started, he got the support of the left and now wants to convince moderates and independants.

McCain, on the other hand, never got the base initially is now moving right to pick them up!

That's politics for you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

It's interesting to see McCain's shift from the centre to the right. i guess that's what a general versus a primary election does to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

That said, both Obama and McCain are better for America than W ever was... I just think Obama > McCain, policy-wise.

At the end of the day its a win win situation for everyone.

Advertisement