Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

about VisCom in DIT

Options
  • 19-08-2008 3:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi! I got offer for this course but Im still considering and wondering if anyone is studying or studied VisCom in DIT and i just have a few questions in mind...

I was in a portfolio prep course lst yr and I remembr one of this
    tutor sed dat in DIT, you really have to learn how to use computer
    applications urself since dat tutors dont actually teach you
    at the beginning?
    If so, do you find it hard to keep it up at the strt?

and

Does the 4yrs prog include work exp?or is dat really
    just up to yourself in finding one during summer etc.?
    are there difficulties in finding one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sparxx

Hey! also starting this course in sept!.. Like you, I'm really curious about what it'll be like, so I managed to find someone (on boards) who graduated from this course, and I PM'd her to ask her what it was like, she was REALLY helpful!..If it's of any use, I can forward on the reply she sent me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I didn't do the course but I know plenty who did. On a personal level, the average standard coming out of DIT VisCom vs. NCAD is much higher, although, of course, it depends on each individual student. At this year's NCAD show, I felt that the standard of tuition was much lower. One surprising exception is Dun Laoghaire, which has improved in average quality over the years; this is probably in no small part to David Smith teaching there.

As for computer training etc., I've been told you don't really use computers until your 3rd or even 4th year. The training is focused more on building your skills as a designer by utilising manual methods/techniques.

As with any third-level institution, learning is largely self-directed so it's up to you to put the work in - the DIT course, I understand, gives you a good structure to explore things but you need to go in deeper yourself to get the most out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sparxx

so the standard in DIT seemed better than NCAD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I thought so, some of that is a reflection on the teaching I'd imagine, and a lot also has to do with the standard of student.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mikia

hey i heard the same as DadaKopf! Vis Com sup to b realy gud in DIT, better then in IADT or NCAD! startin V.C. this sep as wel! I also woz told that 1st yr aint dat bad if u lik computers coz 1st yr sup to b al basicaly computer classes? lol guess we'l find out soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 robbiefa

It all comes down to what you put into the course. I recently graduated from NCAD Viscom, we had a very high standard and this had nothing to do with the tutors. My class had a real enthusiasim for design and helped each other with computer stuff etc.

In regards whats the best course, overall as a general course I would say IADT have the best course. Although many students come out seeming a little generic and not very creative.

If you want an amazing experience, NCAD cannot be beat. It has to be one of the best places to go to college. The viscom course is improving every year, but some of the tutors are lazy and lack up to date real world experience. (They do have guest tutors who can be amazing)

As for DIT, this years show was extremely weak compared to both IADT and NCAD. From what I've been told this was from how students interacted with each other. (Or more like didn't)

As for computers don't worry about them, there are plenty of tutorial sites etc.

Here's small example of some of the work from the ncad degree show this year. http://www.viscomdegreeshow.com

Also I'm in the process of producing a guide for students coming into Viscom in ncad if you would like I can pass one on to anyone who would like one. It has some practical advice on Viscom. Things I would have liken to know when I started.

As I said, its not about the course its about what you put into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 _kayla_

Hey im so glad i just found this Thread! im on two minds whether or not to do viscom in dit? any one have any advice or experiences? its rather that or fine art need to start make decisions pronto? whats the hours like etc? is it a difficult course etc would love to hear your opinions and experiences:)

You thinking of doing it this september or next year?

I'm currently studing it in DIT and love it. However, if it's between Fine Art and Vis Com you can't decide between it all depends what you are in to. Fine Art is very artsy, as in painting, sculpture, all that. Vis com is more Graphicy. A lot of computers and modules such as Digital Media, Photography (later on Imagemaking), Typography, Design for Print, etc. etc. It's all about advertising, print design, packaging things like that. What are you into it? What are your strengths art wise? Any specific questions you have?

this year, well my main strenghts are in the areas of print,photography and painting not really a big fan of drawing though! what does the first year programme consist of itself? what modules is there?and how many hours a week is it? also is there work experience within first year? thanks for your help:)

From what i remember the modules in first year were :
    Typography,
    Digital Media,
    Photography,
    Print,
    Drawing,
    Design Applications,
    What is Graphic Design (which is like careers, getting to know what graphic design is about etc. etc.)
    plus two theory modules each term.
    It's basically 9.30 - 4.30 most of the days, plus you have to work on assignments in your free time too. Most lectures are like tutorials, so you really should go to all of them. Some people skipped a lot and regretted it when they got referrals for the summer.
    The college does not organise any work experience during any of the years at college. If you want work exp you have to organise yourself. However, they are assignments which make you go out there and make connections in the work environment, however it's up to you what you'll get out of it. It might be just a boring project, or great connections for the future.
    I don't know much about Fine Art, all I know now is that I would have hated Fine Art. It's totally different to Graphic Design. Even the way of thinking is different. If you are more of a practical person, do Vis Com. Anything else you'd like to know?

• Advertisement

thanks so much for that info few quick qs is there any theory like fine art and is there much drawing in first year? also is it a type of continuous assessment type of course? did u go on many trips too ?:) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Hey would there be much painting or anything along those lines? I really would love to develop my artistic skills, yet fine art isn't for me, definitely want graphic design but worried about not doing enough work that will develop those kind of skills..

theory is history of design and then for the other one you choose from subjects such as psychology, philosophy, narrative, visual culture, they changed this year for first year so not sure what exactly they are at the moment.

Yeap cont assessment all the way, no exams. We only went on one trip so far. We went to Agadir in Morocco in 2nd year. One tip though, if you won't "express interest" as a year you won't go anywhere.

Regarding drawing, there is a drawing module in first and 2nd year i think, and in third it goes into imagemaking (I think, I'm only after finishing 2nd year). In first it's very fine arty, but they do try to teach you to think more graphic design. Then in 2nd year you can go what ever way you want, but since it's a graphic design course, it's more illustration they are looking for. Drawing is only a tiny little part of Vis Com and those skills you have to develop yourself. There will be guidance provided on how to find your own style but that's about it. :)

Advertisement