Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Riding a bike in a plaster, is it legal and are you covered by insurance?

• 19-08-2008 7:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen guys arriving at rallys on crutches in plasters of all sorts, If its the left foot they can modify the gear change to a "foot plate" or step down honda 50 stile gear shifter. Is it legal to ride a bike with such an injury? A Doctor told me that one is uninsured to drive a car while in any sort of a plaster.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

dont know about the insurance, but i wouldnt think it would be very safe to do so

on another note a firend of a frien had his bike adjusted to allow him to ride it after he had his leg amputated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

I have seen guys arriving at rallys on crutches in plasters of all sorts, If its the left foot they can modify the gear change to a "foot plate" or step down honda 50 stile gear shifter. Is it legal to ride a bike with such an injury? A Doctor told me that one is uninsured to drive a car while in any sort of a plaster.

I'm pretty sure the small print will tell you if you are not fit to drive you're not insured and if you're not insured its not legal.
    There's probably a vid on youtube of some twat on a sportsbike doing 80mph with a cast but its still fairly foolhardy to say the least.
    E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, if you read your insurance documentation, they will require that you are fit to drive the vehicle.

Technically it doesn't mean you're uninsured, but in the event of a crash, the insurance company can refuse to pay your damages and sue you for any third party claims.

The Gardai may also stop you and charge you with a number of driving offences.

It does depend though. If the vehicle has been set up to allow you to drive (e.g. gear shifter on the handlebar or an automatic), then there's no real problem with it I guess. If you crash or fall though you'll be a whole world of pain.

Advertisement