Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it illegal to drive a car while in plaster?

Options
  • 19-08-2008 7:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

A Doctor told me that once someone is in any kind of a plaster they are not covered by their insurance to drive and would be in trouble if they had an accident.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

A Doctor told me that once someone is in any kind of a plaster they are not covered by their insurance to drive and would be in trouble if they had an accident.
    I sprained my left ankle some years back and once the doctor ascertained that I was driving a non-automatic, he told me not to drive as my company insurance would not cover me.

I think the situation is that it's not directly illegal. But if you lose control as a result, you'd be at fault as you'd proven yourself incapable

What might make it directly illegal is if there is a relevant condition in your insurance which effectively mans you're not insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is it not up to the doctor to determine whether you're fit for driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

The doctor told me this as well. I rang my insurance company, they said I was fine as long I was fit to drive without any extra ability/messing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

cormie wrote: »
    Is it not up to the doctor to determine whether you're fit for driving?

Aye, a doctors letter would cover you, although i'd say any one would be reluctant to give you such a letter.

Advertisement