Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

farming

• 19-08-2008 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

does anyone find there is no money in farming anymore

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

allyg wrote: »

I don't think that I ever made money from farming. But I still don't think I could live without the farm. I'm lucky, I went to college and got a good job which has hours that suit my farm work. But I find that Farming is just a good way of saving the money from my job. I might make €8000 or €10000 from selling my weinlings and my single payment - but you can be sure that I have already spent €10000 on meal, fertilizer, contractors etc.

So for me, I find farming just puts money together for me and its great to get it in a lump sum for a new car or to take a lump off the mortgage.

On the other hand, my old man is farming with 120 acres and makes €20k to €25k per year. But at the end of the day for him its a way of life. He'd keep doing it even if he was just breaking even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I don't think anyone with less than a hundred acres is making decent money tbh.Any money that is there is either from mass production on a big enough scale to make it worthwhile or niche and organic farmers who have very little competition.And even then they aren't exactly doing well i imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭hattie-f

it depends on what sector of farming
    any livestock farmers need loads of animals but sumtimes that isnt possible because of the small amount of land

and any tillage farmers need a ridiculous amount of land to make any profit and are hugely dependant on the weather

for any young farmers like myself it can be a hard decision on weather or not to carry on with the trade but if you have at least a decent sized farm and the passion that is needed it goes a long way!:D

but the thing is in this modern day and age its hard to find a young full time farmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

allyg wrote: »

We worked hard over the last 30 years , also had a hackney plate & done a bit of livestock haulage , used the profits from the side income to build up the dairy herd, pay the mortage, reduce the overdraft etc.

now we are cutting back on the outside work & concentrating on the dairying coupled with single payment, Reps & forestry, we feel will be able to get by & also provide a kick start for the children in whatever field they follow

I think the way forward is watch your outputs. .. this year we have cut back on fertilizer, also sold some store cattle earlier than usual & now find we have a fine bank of grass for the back end ,, all we need is a little sunshine

happy farming

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mucri

reilig wrote: »
    I don't think that I ever made money from farming. But I still don't think I could live without the farm. I'm lucky, I went to college and got a good job which has hours that suit my farm work. But I find that Farming is just a good way of saving the money from my job. I might make €8000 or €10000 from selling my weinlings and my single payment - but you can be sure that I have already spent €10000 on meal, fertilizer, contractors etc.

So for me, I find farming just puts money together for me and its great to get it in a lump sum for a new car or to take a lump off the mortgage.

On the other hand, my old man is farming with 120 acres and makes €20k to €25k per year. But at the end of the day for him its a way of life. He'd keep doing it even if he was just breaking even.

that's brilliant...Im an office worker...of the worst type sales :D ...I wish (and I will) buy a piece of land, cottage with land and farm during my spare time...internet can be really intoxicationg...dogh! Gotta Go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

It can make money provided you inherit the land and have a fairly good set up to walk into. If you need to buy land, it would be very difficult. If you need to buy the machinery, harder again and if you need to erect a slatted shed and other sheds or a milking parlour and maybe invest in quota, it's not possible. I can't see that you'd start making money for many years. And with the uncertainty of the future of farming in this country, nobody wants to take the risk anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mucria

Gatto I know is hard. I am not talking about being in the farming business fora living. Let's say farm for family needs. I will do it...with no contact to the land I am simply ... lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Mucria wrote: »
    Gatto I know is hard. I am not talking about being in the farming business fora living. Let's say farm for family needs. I will do it...with no contact to the land I am simply ... lost

Similar thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055342033

• Registered Users Posts: 31 johnperch

hi lads i hear ye loud and clear i dont farm myself but some of the friends do tough gob pity the government couldnt help ye more seeing as agriculture is our biggest industry anyway lads im looking for to do some vermin shooting rabbit fox magpie grey crow anything in kildare area have insurance and can produce certs if ye need any control of vermin giv us a shout please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]
    Zombie thread, and Off-Topic.
    Thread closed.
    [/MOD]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement