Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows CE programs installation problems / Windows CE hidden functionality

• 19-08-2008 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

hi everybody,

I really need help with my new PDA/GPS device.

I bought a GPS navigation system from a very unknown brand (i-joy) which includes a very unknown software navigation system (3dphotonav). The device comes with Windows CE Core 5.0 install and only maps from Spain.

I would like to install othe programs (e.g: TomTom) but I do not know how to do it. The PDA screen has all the icons and windows shortcuts (Menu, Programs,control panel,...) hidden. So, I cannot install/unistall from the device.

I have installed ActiveSync 4.5. and now I can see the files inside the device (program files, the already installed program folders). However, when I go to Tools/Add-Remove programs I see no programs installed.

I also bought an 2gb SD card. I managed to copy files onto it but I could not execute any of those files remotely from the PC.

Can anybody please tell me the following?
    How to see the whole functionality of my Windows CE divice? From the PC or locally?
    How to install another program in the device and properly uninstall the already installed programs?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

See if you can install MemMaid:
    http://www.soft32.com/download_161063.html
    it's got an advanced add/remove module and some other clean- and tweak-facilities... Maybe that sheds some light on what's there and what isn't! You can also use it to monitor services and processes, start or kill programs etc etc
    It's a 15 day trial, but it does it all....

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

thanks strecker.

I tried to install that program but without too much luck.
    I download the program but when I execute the install file, I get the message "cannot copy the file. Make sure the device is conected". However, the device is connected.

Then, I tried to download from the memmaid home website "http://www.dinarsoft.com/memmaid/download.html". In here you have 2 options:
    1- the same .exe as you were suggested
    2- a .cab file.

I still do not fully get what a .cab file is, but when I used ActiveSync and I go to Add/Remove programs I see memmaid in the list. However, when I select it to install it I get the same message as before "cannot copy the file. Make sure the device is conected".

Any idea of what is going on?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

In settings, do you have an "active sync"button? Tried starting it on the device?
    Also, does your device have a memory card slot? Download the MemMaid cab file at dinarsoft.com, and put the memory card in a card reader and transfer the cab to the memory card. Then insert card into device, find the cab file, click on it, and the app should start installing...

but tbh, it sound all very weird, and a bit difficult to figure out without the thing in sight...
    Sorry...any good tech shop near you?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

In the device settings, I do have an "active sync"button, which when enabled allows me accesing to the files in the device by using activesync.

However, I cannot do anything from the device. Windows CE is not accesible. No start menu, explorer, control panel...

I just read in other threads that other dodge GPS devices do also not give access to Windows CE in the device. The solutions in that thread to access:
    - press menu bottom and the volume up bottom at the same tim
    - press power bottom for 10sd in start
    - press power botton just after you select "active sync"

do not work for me...

Advertisement