Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax back

Options
  • 19-08-2008 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hey i have heard lots of people say you get your tax from working back when you leave ozz, at year end (in june) i had amounted to 6000 dollars income and 1000 dollars tax, i went to a tax returns company and they said you dont get any back (in fact they even said as a non resident i should have paid 29% tax as opposed to the 21% tax rate). iv heard of loads of irish getting there tax back when they leave, can someone explain this to me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

I got about 1500 back. you do get Tax back. log on to taxback.com. they are in Dublin and although they do take a little for themselves you should receive your money in about 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

do i have to be back in ireland to get the money back so?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Jaybee

There is an ozzie government website that you can claim your tax back online. It only took me 10 days to get mine back. PErsonally I wouldnt go through taxback.com as they took 7 months to give me mine back from Ireland and they aslo took a percentage as their 'fee'.

Sorry I cant remember their website but do a google search. You will need a final payment summary from all your employers in Oz and your TRN number etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Or you could leave your much needed tax money in Australia to pay for stuff, like half an inch of a bridge or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

jenben1982 wrote: »
    There is an ozzie government website that you can claim your tax back online. It only took me 10 days to get mine back. PErsonally I wouldnt go through taxback.com as they took 7 months to give me mine back from Ireland and they aslo took a percentage as their 'fee'.

Sorry I cant remember their website but do a google search. You will need a final payment summary from all your employers in Oz and your TRN number etc etc

is the official Australian Government form difficult to fill out or straight-forward enough? Also anyone know what sort of percentage taxback.com take?

• Advertisement

cupthehand wrote: »
    is the official Australian Government form difficult to fill out or straight-forward enough? Also anyone know what sort of percentage taxback.com take?

It took about a half hour as far as I can remember, straightforward enough...Sorry I can't remember the name or link to the site.

You need all your old employers details and tax numbers etc. The recruitment agencies should be able to give you these in the payment summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hey i have heard lots of people say you get your tax from working back when you leave ozz, at year end (in june) i had amounted to 6000 dollars income and 1000 dollars tax, i went to a tax returns company and they said you dont get any back (in fact they even said as a non resident i should have paid 29% tax as opposed to the 21% tax rate). iv heard of loads of irish getting there tax back when they leave, can someone explain this to me?

You can apply yourself

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/

now .. did you work in one specific area for 3 months or more?
    if so then, you are a resident for tax purposes and with that you get an allowance of 6,000 tax free .. which would mean you are entitled to 1.5k back
    Generally, you are an Australian resident for tax purposes if you have:

* always lived in Australia
    * moved to Australia and live here permanently
    * been in Australia continuously for six months or more and for most of the time you have been
    o in the one job and
    o living in the same place, or
    * been in Australia for more than half of the financial year, unless
    o your usual home is overseas, and
    o you do not intend to live in Australia.
    http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/64131.htm

also 2007-2008 the % rate was 29% for non-resident for tax purposes
    which is correct.

People don't use taxback.com they get you to fill the exact same form out as the tax on Oz government, you can even send in your documents online! and they can send cheque out.
    Also if you had any work related expenses you can claim $300 without a receipt.

hussey wrote: »

Thats the website - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Another site that might be of help is

www.taxback.com

Ozeire wrote: »
    Another site that might be of help is

www.taxback.com

I wouldn't bother with them to be honest - They are over priced and charge a small fortune compared to other agencies

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Seriously tho folks,

ask yerself a few questions

1) did you enjoy your stay in Australia?
    2) did you use any of the facilities (Power, Water, Roads, Hospitals)?
    3) did you think these were Free?

so the only really decent thing to do would be to leave the money here so that we can maintain this country as you remember it.

Seriously, consider it your contribution to the Australian Way of life

this nation thanks you for your generosity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Seriously tho folks,

so the only really decent thing to do would be to leave the money here so that we can maintain this country as you remember it.

Err....

1.) yes
    2.) yes
    3.) yes, and thats why i paid (am paying) for them through a little something known as bills!

So I'll have my tax back thanks very much. Even aussies themselves claim their tax back!

As mentioned above stay away from taxback.com, I went down to a tax office, filled in the forms in about 20 mins online and 5 days later had my tax back. Free of charge. taxback.com & other accountants simply ask you the exact same qns as the websie, fill them in for you, and charge you either a percentage or something $100, stay away

Oz Govt plans to pocket temps’ super

Savings accrued in the superannuation funds of temporary residents here may be forfeited to the Australian Tax Office (ATO) if not claimed within five years of leaving the country.

A new consultation paper from the Minister for Corporate Law and Superannuation Nick Sherry, has proposed the scheme along with a range of other innovations.

The move would see an estimated $1bn raised for the Treasury over three years, and would impact on backpackers and other temporary residents of Australia.

Employers in Australia are compelled to pay nine per cent of a worker’s gross wage into a superannuation fund. Usually, these funds cannot be accessed until the worker turns 55. However, temporary residents or those leaving the country permanently can ‘cash in’ their super, less tax.

Now, under the new proposals, anyone who spent time in Australia on a temporary basis and have since left for good, and who decided not to ‘cash in’ their super, may forfeit those savings to the ATO.

Minster Sherry said the Government was not was not prepared to subsidise the tax-preferred savings of people from overseas, but the superannuation industry has been highly critical of the plans.

“We’re really not happy about this at all from an ASFA point of view,” Pauline Vamos, Chief Executive Officer of the Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia told the Irish Echo last week.

To Page 5

“The industry doesn’t like this at all, but it’s public policy. We have a lot of concerns, and there are some aspects we want to see changed.

“There are a lot of administrative issues here that need to be straightened out, the last thing we want is for the extra costs of this policy to be put on the funds themselves. Of course we don’t like it, but it’s a public policy issue and if it does go through we just want to be sure that it has a minimal impact.”

As it stands, temporary residents of Australia must pay 9% of their income to a superannuation fund of their choosing – just like any other Australian – but they are entitled to claim this money back when they leave the country for good – unlike Australians.

Many backpackers and other temporary residents have accrued money in their superannuation accounts and have left the money in Australia, either by design to make interest, or by neglect or not knowing that they were entitled to claim it back. The main aim of this new policy is to gather all that ‘lost’ or unclaimed money together.

“It’s intended to bring together all the bits of money that temporary residents have left behind and just not bothered with. It’s really only going to affect those bits of ‘lost’ money,” Vamos explained.

The government has argued that the proposals will help clean up problems with ‘lost’ or unclaimed superannuation, which sat at a staggering $5.6bn at the end of June last year. An estimated 20 per cent of this figure involves money held in the accounts of temporary residents.

Taken from Irish Echo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Seriously tho folks,

You don't get all your tax back, so you have paid your dues. It's also very common for people to not claim their Super back when they leave the country. I'm in the process of claiming back $1000 in Super.

It's a misnomer to think you are doing Australia a service by not claiming it back. Should it not mean that the Australian tax rate would be constantly reducing due to the unexpected finances being left behind by backpackers?

On a sort of similar theme, what's the best way to transfer money out to an Australian bank account via an agency i.e. travel2work etc.. or thru an Irish bank on-line. I see bank of Ireland have a facility to do this but anyone know how much they charge, travel2work charge €15 per transaction as far as I know.

From Bank of Irelands website
    International Money Transfer Charges (via Bank of Ireland 365) (Republic of Ireland only)
    Bank of Ireland (InterPayplus) charges - applicable to all accounts
    Transactions in euro to EU Member State with IBAN & BIC* No charge
    Other payments without FX conversion (e.g. Euro to USA) €12 each
    Transaction with FX conversion (e.g. US$ to US) €5**

*Plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
    ** For an initial period it is intended that we will not apply the €5 charge on transactions destined for countries within the EEA in their local currency (e.g. Sterling to UK,) however the relevant foreign exchange rate will apply. This position is subject to change.
    You will be advised of the Bank of Ireland charge for your international money transfer on the payment confirmation screen before you authorise each transaction with your 365 PIN. This charge is in addition to the relevant current account transaction fee, if applicable.

Hope this helps

Cheers, I should have found that myself.

Do you the situation with getting vacuum packed meat sent to Sydney from Ireland (unmarked of course ;) ). Does it get stopped at customs. How long does it take. Is it edible after it!

What can't I take into Australia?

luggage-carousel.jpg

Declare or beware!
    You must declare for inspection all food, plant material and animal products on arrival in Australia to ensure they are free of pests and diseases.
    Some products may require treatment to make them safe. Other items that pose pest and disease risks will be seized and destroyed by AQIS. You can dispose of high-risk items in quarantine bins in the airport terminal.
    If you’re not sure, ask an AQIS officer.

Read More... www.daff.gov.au

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Hi,
    I'm currently working in australia, when I finish my job in December I will have been working here 6 months and am paying 29% tax rate (non resident). When i go to claim my tax back will i get 14% of this 29% back? (as i will have earned less than $34,000). Just want to know from people who have claimed if they got roughly half the tax back that they paid. i.e. if i will be classified as a resident. I will have paid about $11,000 or $12,000 in tax when i finidh up and am banking on using half this money to get home via the trans siberian rail (Aka vodka train) and don't want to bank on this money and then find out I won't get it!!:eek:

Thanks for any help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Really sorry for dragging up this thread and I always try and research as much as possible before I look for info here, but am having a bit of trouble figuring out where I am in the resident/non-resident claim....

We've been working and living in the one place since January and are finishing up this week, which means I'v been working for under six months. The gov website however does not state the consequences of working for less than six months in terms of what I can claim back. If I have been working for under six months, does this mean I am entitled to less of a refund?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I wonder would I be better holding out a few weeks and work past the six months just to receive a better refund

• Advertisement

If I have been working for under six months, does this mean I am entitled to less of a refund?

Kinda, look here

it states that for an Oz resident for tax purposes you need to have
    # been in Australia continuously for six months or more and for most of the time you have been

* in the one job and
    * living in the same place

now, you say you have lived and worked in one place since january, now that covers the 'most of the time' rule, so the only thing left is the 6 month rule, now if you plan to stay for june that will cover that too.

It will make a big difference to your tax refund.

In summary, live in Oz 6 months, and 'most' of that time at same company and same job.

(I personally define 'most' as in > 50% of 6 months.)
    I wonder would I be better holding out a few weeks and work past the six months just to receive a better refund

As stated above, you don't need to keep working past the 6months, you just need to be in Oz for 6months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

hussey wrote: »

it states that for an Oz resident for tax purposes you need to have
    # been in Australia continuously for six months or more and for most of the time you have been

* in the one job and
    * living in the same place

now, you say you have lived and worked in one place since january, now that covers the 'most of the time' rule, so the only thing left is the 6 month rule, now if you plan to stay for june that will cover that too.

Hmm, ok I have been in Australia since November, travelled part of the country, then worked from January. So I guess that means I'm here longer than six months and am a resident....I think. eek.

Okey-doke, I think I'm happy

Hmm, ok I have been in Australia since November, travelled part of the country, then worked from January. So I guess that means I'm here longer than six months and am a resident....I think. eek.

Okey-doke, I think I'm happy

congrats you now get a
    0-6000 tax free threshold
    and a 6001-34,000 @ 15% tax rate
    (compared to 0-34,000 @ 29c!)

should make a nice refund for you

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Yes the simple thing to do is declare as a resident, but for the accountants out there I just wanna tease out this scenario:

Paddylonglegs - If you are going back to Ireland, you could alternatively do your Australian tax return up to 30th June and declare as a non resident here, having a flat 29% income tax rate. Then, assuming you are back in Ireland before 30th June, you will be able to declare as a resident for tax purposes there for the 2009 calender year. This means you can declare your full income, Australian plus Irish, for 2009, and come up with an income tax liability that you can set full year Irish tax credits against, and which you can also set your Australian tax, which you already paid, against.

From what I've read of double taxation treaties this is the way it should work out. As I see it, if you earn in a country in which you are not resident, you should declare that income in the country in which you are resident, and, under a tax treaty, your final tax liability will take into account tax already paid in the foreign country.

That is, if you able to be resident in Ireland for tax purposes for the 2009 year, you can claim Irish tax credits for the full 12 months even if you are working abroad for a portion of the year, and not entitled to any credits in the foreign country.

So in Paddy's case here, lets say he earns AU$25,000 in 5 months to May on which he incurs an Ozzie liability of $7,250 (@29%). He then returns to Ireland and earns E15,000 up to Dec'09. The total income on the Irish 2009 tax return will then come to approx E28,750 (@.55 ex rate). This will be taxed at 20% less 12 months of tax credits of about E3,660 (1,830 single + 1,830 PAYE) amounting to E2,090. Since Ozzie tax of $7,250 (say E3,987 @.55) has already paid, a refund of E1,987 will then be due. Total liability for year = E2,090.

This opposed to declaring resident in Australia for 08/09 year and winding up with an Australian liability of $2,850 ($25,000 - $6,000 @ 15%). Then paying regular PAYE in Ireland and winding up with a liability of E1,170 (E15,000 @ 20% less say 6 months' credits - this cannot be 12 months credits - of E1,830). This would give a total 2009 liability of E2,737 (E1,567 Oz + E1,170 Ire). E650 difference.

You see the 29% rate is there for a reason and this is I think why. Any comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Trained Monkey

Yes the simple thing to do is declare as a resident, but for the accountants out there I just wanna tease out this scenario:

Paddylonglegs - If you are going back to Ireland, you could alternatively do your Australian tax return up to 30th June and declare as a non resident here, having a flat 29% income tax rate. Then, assuming you are back in Ireland before 30th June, you will be able to declare as a resident for tax purposes there for the 2009 calender year. This means you can declare your full income, Australian plus Irish, for 2009, and come up with an income tax liability that you can set full year Irish tax credits against, and which you can also set your Australian tax, which you already paid, against.

From what I've read of double taxation treaties this is the way it should work out. As I see it, if you earn in a country in which you are not resident, you should declare that income in the country in which you are resident, and, under a tax treaty, your final tax liability will take into account tax already paid in the foreign country.

That is, if you able to be resident in Ireland for tax purposes for the 2009 year, you can claim Irish tax credits for the full 12 months even if you are working abroad for a portion of the year, and not entitled to any credits in the foreign country.

So in Paddy's case here, lets say he earns AU$25,000 in 5 months to May on which he incurs an Ozzie liability of $7,250 (@29%). He then returns to Ireland and earns E15,000 up to Dec'09. The total income on the Irish 2009 tax return will then come to approx E28,750 (@.55 ex rate). This will be taxed at 20% less 12 months of tax credits of about E3,660 (1,830 single + 1,830 PAYE) amounting to E2,090. Since Ozzie tax of $7,250 (say E3,987 @.55) has already paid, a refund of E1,987 will then be due. Total liability for year = E2,090.

This opposed to declaring resident in Australia for 08/09 year and winding up with an Australian liability of $2,850 ($25,000 - $6,000 @ 15%). Then paying regular PAYE in Ireland and winding up with a liability of E1,170 (E15,000 @ 20% less say 6 months' credits - this cannot be 12 months credits - of E1,830). This would give a total 2009 liability of E2,737 (E1,567 Oz + E1,170 Ire). E650 difference.

You see the 29% rate is there for a reason and this is I think why. Any comments?

Just one question, was the film 'The Shawshank Redemption' about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Just one question, was the film 'The Shawshank Redemption' about you?

Well I did do a long stint in prison before escaping by crawling through a river of **** and coming out clean. But I won't go into that.

The thing is, the 29% rate is outlandish unless you can claim residency in another country and claim allowances/credits there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mrben86

I'm so confused about it all.. :confused:

I've been in Oz since feb and staying with a friend in melbourne since early march and was trying to find work since then without any luck. I finally got a job lined up and I start monday.

I assume I'm supposed to declare I'm a non-resident. I only intend on working for 2-3 months which will mean I'll have been in Melbourne for 5 months but have been looking for work / working for all of this time. I'll be travelling around for the next couple of months then going home.

29% is a a lot and I dont want to pay it if I don't have to. Can I claim I'm a resident for tax purposes?

What makes things more complicated is that I'll have to do 2 tax returns because the financial year ends june 30th..grr!

Advertisement