Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary Nursing

• 19-08-2008 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi all,

Just to let anyone know that had applied for Vet. Nursing i Dundalk, there was a problem with this course and no offers were made yesterday. Offers will be made in Round Two with the usual Round Two procedures applying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 i-want-my-nic

I don't know what the didlio is with it, but it's up on available/ vacant places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 angelfromthecoa

Hi, just wanted to clarify the qualifications that are received from UCD and Athlone. Although both courses are three years the course in UCD is part time and is a Diploma in Veterinary Nursing and the course in Athlone is full time and is a Bachelor of Science degree in Veterinary Nursing with the option to further your career and study Veterinary Medicine which UCD does not offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

So is this the same qualifications then?
    Its still up on available places... might apply 4 it

I'm not sure about the Dundalk and Cork courses but the qualifications are different from Dublin and Athlone. As I said above the qualification from UCD is a Diploma and you are considered a qualified Veterinary Nurse once finished but the qualification from Athlone is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Veterinary Nursing and with that qualification you can either practice as a qualified Veterinary nurse or you can continue your studies either to do an honours degree in another Science based area or even continue your studies to do Veterinary Medicine, so the the qualification in Athlone is a higher qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

Is it too late to enrol for the veterinary nurse course? I would love to do this course and know i can do it. I am so experienced with all animals large and small including exotics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 i-want-my-nic

Go for it, I think the college are still accepting internal transfers to course, I'd definately recommend ya go for it. Ring the college and ask (042-9370200)

Thanks. I have called the number and have had to leave a message with the answer machine. So now gonna have to wait and see what they say.

DKIT telephoned to say the course is full and up & running. No more applicants can apply. But told to apply through the CAO website from February onwards. :(

As far as I know the application process for most colleges are closed for this year so you will probably have to wait till next year. UCD are no longer doing the part time Diploma course after this year, from next September onwards it will be changed to a three year full time Bachelor of Science degree course like Athlone. The Veterinay council of Ireland are trying to standardise the qualifications obtained in colleges offering veterinary nursing training throughout Ireland so that eventually anyone who qualifies as a veterinary nurse will sign the veterinary nursing register and will be considered to have the same qualification. If Veterinary Nursing is what you want to do check up on all the courses available and choose one that is right for you, if its what you want to do just go for it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pursy

ahhhh.... can anyone help me. i have just been told that UCD are changing their course as of 2009. instead of working as a trainee assistant in your chosen vet clinic , it has been changed to a full time corse in UCD. i am really upset about this being changed as ive just send out letters to vet clinics and ive no means to pay for accomodation etc!, can someone update me on this please!!!??? whats going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

pursy wrote: »
    ahhhh.... can anyone help me. i have just been told that UCD are changing their course as of 2009. instead of working as a trainee assistant in your chosen vet clinic , it has been changed to a full time corse in UCD. i am really upset about this being changed as ive just send out letters to vet clinics and ive no means to pay for accomodation etc!, can someone update me on this please!!!??? whats going on?

try asking in the ucd forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=470

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Hi, thinking of putting this on da cao, just wondering what its like and that? Is there a lot of science in the course?

Advertisement