Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem prob - can't access 192.168.1.1

Options
  • 19-08-2008 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Having problems at home with my modem - it's a zxyel Prestige 600 (as packaged with the BT bundle a couple of years ago... prob pretty common).

All the lights are ok (broadband connection looks to be there)... however, I can't 'access' the modem setup page on 192.168.1.1

I have reset the modem, and now need to access this page to re-enter the username and password for the BT Broadband.

I checked the ipconfig / gateway, and the modem is setup under 192.168.1.1

Any idea how to fix this?
    Does it sound like the modem has had it?

Any help would be great, thanks.

[5000th post! w00t!]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Open an command window and ping the ip address of the modem. i.e. Start - Run type 'cmd' then when the window opens type 'ping 192.168.1.1' without the quotes. See if you get a response. If so you should be able to open the configuration page by typing http://192.168.1.1 into your browser.

If no response to the ping then check the ip address of your pcs lan card with ipconfig. I'm guessing that it is automatically assigned by dhcp from the modem. In that case it should be 192.168.1.X (X is any number between 0 and 255)

If not, then the pc is not getting an ip address from the modem and you will need to configure it manually. Pick any address in the same range (192.168.1.100 say) and try that. You should now be able to ping the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

As above try - 192.168.1.100 and192.168.100.1

If you go to a command box and type ipconfig /all (the space before the / is important) and give us a screen shot we will tell you what to do next....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

As crawler says RUN box (from start button)> Type CMD > Press return > At the cmd prompt type IPCONFIG > press return > take a look at IP address and Default Gateway

IP address should be in the 192.168.x.x range

Gateway should be the IP address of the router also in the same 192.168.x.x range with only the last x different.

IF IP address starts off 169.254.x.x then you aren't getting an IP address from the modem, try pressing the reset button (on the modem) for a few seconds and then try again - hint repairing the network connection can speed up the DHCP process. Right click your conection (in Network Connections) and click on repair.

the cmd IPCONFIG /ALL will give you a whole load more info and tell you if there is a DHCP server and its IP address but can sometimes contain just toooo much info to understand quickly and easily. In which case your Default Gateway and DHCP server addresses should be the same and probabaly your DNS servers also, thats OK but your computers IP should be different.

btw no need to type in caps as in IPCONFIG but hopefully using caps makes it easier to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

cheers for the help / advice.

Will try again later this evening and let yee know how I get on.

thanks again

ok - here's where I got. Still no joy.
    (I'm a bit of a technie n00bie, so will try my best to explain. I really am not sure what's what!).

I pinged 192.168.1.1 and got a responce to and back.

Using the ipconfig, it seems the router address is 192.168.1.33
    I tried entering this in internet explorer, but still getting 'page could not be displayed'.
    I went into control panel -->network connections--> Lan connection and played around with the TCP/IP addresses? Is this a probable area to focus on?

I've turned off windows firewall... have yet to see if Norton is doing anything to it.

Just to let you know, this all began a few days ago when my Dad thought he clicked something just as internet explorer loaded, and it hasn't worked since. I'm heading home tonight to try and see if I can work it out again!

• Advertisement

OK so as crawler suggested you need to post the results of issuing IPCONFIG /ALL command :o. No n00b screen shots please; in the CMD window with the IPCONFIG /ALL results just right click the title bar select edit then MARK and then select the txt then right click the title bar again and this time select edit and COPY. The paste the whole lot into the Thread reply box.

Don't go messing in network connections yet as the IPCONFIG /ALL info will tell us most of what we need to know to get you sorted.

Just remembered I have a zxyel Prestige 600 in my junk box somewhere (actually more than one and very large boxes ;) ) so if you get really stuck I can dig out and check how to set it up but they are all pretty much the same, plug DSL phone line in one end plug computer in the other and with default settings they work without the user having to do anything. Ergo messing is often the reason they don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Or just hold down the reset for 5 - 10 seconds or so and away you go, just need to enter the ADSL details for your supplier into the modem and bobs your mothers brother.

MC

Did say that a while back, and it would be on my to do list after rebooting the router (turn on and off), repairing the client network connection to renew the DHCP lease (see above), doing and IPCONFIG to get the default gateway and then trying to coonect via a web page to the IP address of the default gateway AKA the router.

The reboot is always worth doing as I have found that sometimes you can't connect to the admin web pages even thought the connection to the internet is working OK, rebooting often fixes this.

Just dug out a ZyXEL Prestige 600 series router and it reminds me that you also have a USB option so let us know which you are using? Reset button is hidden between the on/off switch and the USB socket.

So reboot first and if that doesn't work for you try a reset.

and default password if you need it is 1234 (same I think on all ZyXEL stuff)

Should be an easy one to sort once we have the screen shot.

Reset will fix the issue unless it's being blocked by a software based firewall (Windows, Zonealarm, Sygate etc - if you have these running, disable them for now but remember to re-enable after) - I had a 600 once too and Zonealarm did not like it for some reason :)

Nearly all login's are "admin" & "1234" by default on these boxes so should restore that once reset.

As above, post the screen shot and we will take it from there....

EDIT - actually reading your post - looks like Norton has blocked a request from the box - I would imagine your dad got a request along the lines of "192.168.1.1 is trying to access etc etc...do you want to allow this?" and he clicked "no". Depending on the version of norton (yuck by the way) you are running you probably need to go in and see what it has blacklisted and "allow" it again - the fact that you can ping the box means it's just not allowing you to access it from the browser and this is nearly 100% down to some firewall/filtering software (will still allow ICMP packets so you can still ping)

• Advertisement

Oh and BTW BURN the disk that Norton came on, its the devil incarnate, blocks even when it is disabled.

Do yourself a favour and get rid of anything to do with Norton they really should have to put a warning on the boxes of their rubbish software.

MC

Oh and BTW BURN the disk that Norton came on, its the devil incarnate, blocks even when it is disabled.

Do yourself a favour and get rid of anything to do with Norton they really should have to put a warning on the boxes of their rubbish software.

MC

STRONGLY AGREE :)

Actually - a real n00b way to get around this is to get a copy of firefox on CD or download it at a friend's house/in work to CD - Install it on your PC and you should be able to browse fine (Norton will see it's a new app and understand what it is and allow it access d'interweb) - usually works.

Nah my suggestion is more secure, stops from ever having the same problem again and stops the spread of Norton.

MC

ok - just back, and here's the ipconfig data.
    any ideas?
    (btw, thanks for all so far)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : D3BB4R1J
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-95-64-11
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.33
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 0.0.12.0
    Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 39.123.0.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 20 August 2008 17:34:40
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 23 August 2008 17:34:40

So the IPCONFIG info points to the router having the IP address 192.168.1.1.

Your PC's address is 192.168.1.33 and it got that address from the router which is also acting as a DHCP server.

I'd guess you rebooted the router just before 20 August 2008 17:34 when you picked up a new DHCP lease - don't worry about that you don't need to know what a DHCP lease is.

So you should be able to connect to the routers web admin page at 192.168.1.1 IF nothign is blocking it.

I'd try a couple of things first - try typing http://192.168.1.1 as the IP address in your web browser as sometimes that works when the IP address alone doesn't.

If that doesn't work and you have rebooted the router you are left with looking for whats stopping you at the computer end. If you have any Norton Internet Security installed I really would uninstall it unless you want to try and work out what its blocking and how to allow instead of block.

well, was on the phone to my Dad... told him to turn off the Norton firewall and hey presto!! It's working!!
    I was sure I turned off the whole Norton suite before, but the firewall must have still been active.
    Still, the question remains how the heck it just decided to block it all of a sudden. What option or possible popup did Norton give to block it?

I never really knew such a negative view of Norton was held.

Anyway, great to have the prob solved.
    Thanks to everyones help here.
    Very much appreciated! :)

Now all that's left is to burn the Norton disk, make a video and we'll pay to see it done!!! lol

We are nice people - we don't have a lot of love for Norton though :)

Re your question on Norton - Answer - because it's sh1te :D

You do need a firewall and AVAS though

Download AVAST - free and much better and activate the Windows (!) firewall.

Advertisement