Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long spin and diabetes Type II?

Options
  • 19-08-2008 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking for advice on food intake and diabetes Type II. For example snacks that don't shoot up blood sugars but give some kind energy or what kind of breakfast for 100km spin?
    Gel / bar / energy drinks are far too sugary for me so I am a bit in the dark ... any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Fredo wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for advice on food intake and diabetes Type II. For example snacks that don't shoot up blood sugars but give some kind energy or what kind of breakfast for 100km spin?
    Gel / bar / energy drinks are far too sugary for me so I am a bit in the dark ... any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks.

Hmm, probably your doctor is best to recommend that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

I have type 2 diabetes and do 90/100 km spins at weekends.
    I'd usually have a bowl of porridge and a banana for breakfast and then bring a banana and a nutrigrain with me as well as some money to buy more if needed.
    Drinks-wise I bring a 50-50 mix of lucozade sport and water.

It seems to work for me but as Raam said it might be best to check first.

I'm probably a bit more relaxed about it than I should be. Most of the accounts and blogs I've read recommend bringing your testing kit on a spin and checking every so often, I don't bother with that.
    When I was running I used to test regularly before and after a run and found that my sugars would have gone up by a couple of points while running.

In short it's probably a balance between taking professional advice and finding what works for you.

You've made me think though and I should test myself after a spin and get some recommendations on food intake.

Advertisement