Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing Gas Boiler - Advice?

• 19-08-2008 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I need to replace a clapped out gas boiler in my house in Dublin 9.

Does anyone have any experience with this re the typical cost or recommendations for any reliable installers?

Any advice appreciated!
    Thanks,
    H

Comments

Have your system flushed properly then add inhibitor after installation, you can look at the fernox or the sentinel sites for more information. I would look at Viessmann, Worcester Bosch, vaillant as they make good boilers, also look at the WHICH web site who have just done a report on gas boilers. Have a room stat, cylinder stat fitted to help cut cost also thermostatic rad valves are a good idea, fitted to all but one rad normally the bathroom so it can be used as a towel rail. If you try your local supplier they should be able to give you details of decent installers, Gary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how do I determine what the output of a replacement boiler should be?

I know I should have checked the label on the old boiler but it's too late for that now as it's gone to the big boiler house in the sky......:D

Boiler sizing is an exact science now, as if it's wrong it could in the future effect your house efficacy rating, the right way would be to get the house measured by a efficiency engineer who would measure everything about the house and give you an exact boiler size requirement or you could find a good installer who would size it, or you could measure all the rads + number and ask a suppler what size would be required, or you could get a big boiler and have the heating output adjusted down to suit, or as i was taught years ago 5'000btu's per rad and 15,000 btu's for a cylinder but thats way out of date, good luck, Gary.

Yeah - I sent an email query to Vokera today and they rang me with the same response.

Basically, I've a 4 bed semi with an extension (125 sq m) - 10 rads.

Surely there is some rule of thumb guideline that I can follow.......no?

Firstly Vokera?:eek: no,no,no Veissman, Valiant, Worcester Bosch yes,yes,yes.
    Secondly NO, why pay out good money when it could be wrong, i would suggest you get the right boiler, with the right output so it works properly and condenses (condensing boilers only can be fitted) correctly, with the right system controls giving you the best efficiency for your money cos the price of gas is becoming silly.

You could require something between 15 and 25 kw, but that's a guess, as i said there is a calculation and you need to input figures to get a answer, it's possible your last boiler was incorrect and although it heated properly it may of wasted your cash, the only way to know is to do it properly, Gary.

• Advertisement

The last boiler (Potterton Netaheat - I think) was 20 years old and, yes, it wasted cash - stuck out in the freezing cold garage not to mention the fact the boiler itself was cast iron :eek:

Why do you say no to Vokera? You seem to know more about this than I do so I'd be interested to have your opinion.

The guy who'll be installing the boiler is going to call during the week and calculate what output I need but I'll be supplying the boiler myself so any comments/suggestions as to make/model would be appreciated. The one thing I have decided is that I'll be definitely getting a condenser type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    I have 1 for sale 3 years old if you are into it

If i am honest boilers are better built than they used to be, parts are designed to be interchangeable and easy to replace, when you hear a service engineer bitch about a product it more to do with ignorance than anything else, i have not forgiven Vokera for producing a boiler that had a heat exchanger that converted to a cheese grater after as Little as 6 months leaking water every where. When choosing a boiler you can go one of two ways get the best out there or go cheaper from a locally supplier who carries parts, so for example you get a Vissmann from Precision heating or buy a baxi from heat merchants, Vissmann have a good reputation for no drama and baxi who have a reputation for drama (i find)but parts can be got locally.
    If it was me i would power flush the system as a given, fit a Vissmann vitodens 200, zone my house with two ports and roomstats, fit thermostatic rad valves, fit cylinder stat and two port, after boiler is fitted three flushes cold,hot,cold then add your inhibitor, also i like magnatec which is fitted on the return, making adding chemicals easy, Gary.

Thanks Gary.

I currently have a roomstat (downstairs) and a HWC stat. I'm planning to fit another motorised valve and a roomstat for upstairs so I guess I'll need a 3 channel timer for the extra zone.

I'll look into those Vissemann boilers - thanks.

Advertisement