Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tar like substance?

Options
  • 19-08-2008 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    My non slip floor in the cargo area of my van is getting a bit worse for wear, little bits being torn off to reveal the wood underneath. Is there any tar like substance that I could pour over the missing bits of rubber that would seal it up and dry hard but still softish, just like tar? Where would I get tar if tar would be the best option?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

You could try bitumen paint.

It can be applied by brush or you can get thicker stuff that is applied by trowel. About €25 a can.

Not sure how hard wearing it would be on the floor of a van?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply :) had a quick google and saw pictures of it. Seems to be used a lot on boats? Do you know if it dries soft, or would it crack and stuff? Also, once I open the can, how long would it last? I don't need to cover up too much in the van so would be handy if it lasted till I needed to do more. I guess any hardware shop should have it? Or should I go to a paint store instead? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I woudn't apply bitumen paint to the floor of a van - when the weather is hot and the inside of the van is like an oven, the bitumen will melt and stick to anything on the floor of the van.

Get in touch with this lot and ask their advice

Have popped them a mail, thanks :)

They said they didn't have anything suitable :(

I wonder would tar be the best solution so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Do Not use tar! Gas masks and lots of butter ( to take it off!) come to mind.

Try something like this instead.

That looks perfect, thanks a lot :) Now where to get it.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Possible alternate would be rubber matting cut to size or this advice.

Thanks again, you've obviously been doing a bit of searching for me :)

I've popped plastidip.co.uk a mail, they ship to Ireland so I think I'll get 2 cans and see how it works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

What do you use van for?

Protective rubber, rubber mat or lion / vinyl sheet sound good.:)

• Advertisement

I have the rubber mat covering the van floor already, it came with the van 2nd hand, but I think to get it as an extra when buying the van costs about 300 euro, so it's good. This will be just to repair bits coming off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Whenever I change the car (little different scenario to a van, granted) I cut out a "boot liner" for the boot, from vinyl sheet. I use a very tough PVC material used by roofers (Trocal or Sarnafil)- it's wipeable, resistant to most solvents and pretty much untearable. You could use an aluminium cover strip at the sill to keep it in place.

Advertisement