Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

songs you know are crap but still love

Options
  • 19-08-2008 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭

for me its together in electric dreams by phil oakey

then again i could pick almost anything from the decade of good bad songs , 80,s

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yep, tons of stuff from the 80s - power ballads in particular. Someone's gonna come along and say "well if you like it, that means it's not crap". I disagree. I think Tarzan Boy by Baltimora is awful **** but I still bloody well love it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

For me its alot of stuff by Iron Maiden, 'cos it brings me back to my youth.

Ah Maiden were ace!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Tiffany "I think we're alone now"

Jane Wheldon "Rush Hour"

Ah, but Rush Hour is not crap :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Notorayus

MC Hammer - Pray

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah, but Rush Hour is not crap :)

Well it's not great either is it? Doesn;t really make much sense either..someone makes her feel like it;s rush hour.. what? like angry and frustrated thinking you'll never make it home? ... But i still love it :)

Oh I think it's high quality pop. And she was in the GoGos - more kudos again!

Oh I think it's high quality pop. And she was in the GoGos - more kudos again!

Yep the GoGos were great

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

irish_bob wrote: »
    for me its together in electric dreams by phil oakey

I think that's actually by Giorgio Moroder. It's credited to them both but afaik it was already written and they were just looking for a vocalist by the time Oakey got involved.

That's my one act of music pedantry for the day, I can relax now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

That Simply Red song with that sample from Hall & Oates I Cant Go For That. Theyre a bloody awful band but that track is kinda funky.

Hall & Oates......now thats another story :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Visage - Fade To Grey and an almost identical song Kelly Osbourne - One Word

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Well it's not great either is it? Doesn;t really make much sense either..someone makes her feel like it;s rush hour.. what? like angry and frustrated thinking you'll never make it home? ... But i still love it :)

Ah but dude, you're missing the point; it IS a great song. It's brilliantly produced and within 20 seconds of hearing it, it's summer in your ears. Who gives a sh*t what it's about. You want lyrical introspection, the lads analysing Leonard Cohen are down the corridor third door on the right.

I've decided, actually, that it's not even a case of 'songs you know are crap but still love', it's *actually* "songs i love but everybody else thinks are crap and i could f*cking care less"

And i'll add

'Back to You' by Brian Adams and Mel C. Close harmony singing always gets me (Plant and Krauss ARE YOU LISTENING...THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:D)
    'Ain't no Doubt' by Jimmy Nail (the deadpan delivery of it is still brilliant)
    'Rhinestone Cowboy' by Glenn Campbell (yes yes yes, i know Wichita Lineman is a better song - but i prefer this...now, where did i put by boots'n'spurs)

Now playing: Oasis - Rockin' Chair
    via FoxyTunes

Now playing: Neil Young - The needle and the damage done
    via FoxyTunes

Is the Bryan Adams song you're referring to Baby When You're Gone? Cuz that is qua-li-tay.

Ok ok Rush hour is a good song i give in.But i have more... plenty more :D

Billie Piper - Honey to the Bee .. "Buzz me up to heaven baby"

Atomic Kitten - Whole again ... I think the guy from OMD wrote that song so i don;t feel too bad about liking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Phixx - Love Revolution :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

50 cent, p.i.m.p. Its beyond bad, its not stereotypical of rap, its a cliche, thats why I like it

Is the Bryan Adams song you're referring to Baby When You're Gone? Cuz that is qua-li-tay.

yup - my bad. sh*te...that's two Brian Adams songs i like...:o

it is When You're Gone i meant tho!

I think the guy from OMD wrote that song so i don;t feel too bad about liking it

He did indeed. Andy McCluskey. Whole Again isn't a patch on 'Enola Gay' but s'okay. If you fancy a really really *really* good McClusky pop song or two, have a scout around for 'Walking on the Milky Way' or 'Pandoras Box'. I don't know what the hell they put in the water in Liverpool, but between McCluskey, Ian Broudie (Lightning Seeds) and those four blokes who had a few hits in the 60's, there's a disproportionately high amount of quality pop that's come out of that place.

And that's before we mention yer man from The KLF...

Yup. I'm not sure whether Liverpool gets enough recognition for its music besides the Fabs.

I've a major thing for Echo and The Bunnymen and Teardrop Explodes, some Lightning Seeds songs are just magical, and The Icicle Works were another band from Merseyside who I heard Dave Fanning play quite a bit in the early 90s - they were awesome.

The best OMD song I ever heard is Joan of Arc. It's beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

90's classic "Life Is A Flower" by Ace of Base! :D

"We live in a free world, I whistle down the wind
    Carry on smiling and the world will smile with you
    Life is a flower so precious in your hand
    Carry on smiling and the world will smile with you"

Terrible cheesy lyrics, god-awful video, but I absolutely love it!

Also, anything by The Spice Girls. They were fantastic!

Now everybody sing: "What I really really really want a zig-a-zig ah" :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yup. I'm not sure whether Liverpool gets enough recognition for its music besides the Fabs.

I've a major thing for Echo and The Bunnymen and Teardrop Explodes, some Lightning Seeds songs are just magical, and The Icicle Works were another band from Merseyside who I heard Dave Fanning play quite a bit in the early 90s - they were awesome.

Remember going to see OMD at the stadium in dublin back in 80s.:)

Oh bla de , Oh bla da by the beatles is one of those love to hate songs .

It just plods along like a bad reggae track , like a farmers cart beling pulled along by a lazy donkey

......had to create some ( naff) illusion for the song :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_in_Japan

talk about six degrees of Kevin Bacon. That one Band linking *how* much liverpool music. You didn't think you could go from Tammy Wynette to Julian Cope in two steps, did you...

latchyco wrote: »
    had to create some ( naff) illusion for the song :D
    LOL - perfect description of that song.:D Not one of their best...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_in_Japan

talk about six degrees of Kevin Bacon. That one Band linking *how* much liverpool music. You didn't think you could go from Tammy Wynette to Julian Cope in two steps, did you...
    Heh, I love rock family trees. Remember there was a programme actually called that about 10 years ago? It was based on a weekly feature in either NME or MM back in the 80s/early 90s.

Oh yeah, forgot about Pete Wylie - Story of the Blues is awesome. I remember on one of those nostalgia programmes (I love 19eighty whatever) there was a feature on Boys From The Blackstuff and that was playing in the background. Had me blubbing like a baby... :o

And what was it with the name Ian? McCulloch, Broudie, McNabb...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Anything by Eazy E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

LOL - perfect description of that song.:D Not one of their best...
    Yet surprise surprise Marmalade had a top 10 hit with their version of it :)
    Heh, I love rock family trees. Remember there was a programme actually called that about 10 years ago? It was based on a weekly feature in either NME or MM back in the 80s/early 90s.
    A great series .I Watched a few repeats recently on bbc 4 including clapton = yardbirds = Free = Clapton .

Remember they also covered Roy wood , mick fleetwood and may others evolutions.... into other groups .The Merseybeat explosion in rock family tress was brilliant .There were somthing like 500 bands playing the liverpool scene at one time and some competition to get recording contracts . .

He did indeed. Andy McCluskey. Whole Again isn't a patch on 'Enola Gay' but s'okay. If you fancy a really really *really* good McClusky pop song or two, have a scout around for 'Walking on the Milky Way' or 'Pandoras Box'. I don't know what the hell they put in the water in Liverpool, but between McCluskey, Ian Broudie (Lightning Seeds) and those four blokes who had a few hits in the 60's, there's a disproportionately high amount of quality pop that's come out of that place.

And that's before we mention yer man from The KLF...

I'm pretty familiar with OMD my favourite song is "if you leave" i think ..but it's hard to choose one.

The lighting seeds were just brilliant if you are ever in a bad mood just start listening to them and their poptastic songs should cheer you up :)
    "Pure" would be my fav song ..but again very hard to choose one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

wake me up before you go go by wham
    everybody knows its not the best but i dont know anyone who dosent bop along when they hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I go ape-**** for anything off american idiot, just coz I was soooo into it around the age of 15 16, and it really brings me back. Also, I listen to Bleeding Love secretly sometimes :o even the version by the wombats :eek:

• Advertisement

Aw yeah Bleeding Love's pretty good.

Advertisement